Luck Allocation in Game

For DCC RPG rules discussion. Includes rules questions and ideas, new rules suggestions, homebrews and hacks, conversions to other systems, and everything else rules-related.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

fanditch
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Luck Allocation in Game

Post by fanditch »

Sorry if this has already been asked/answered, but what does luck allocation look like in the game narrative? For example, when a halfling grants luck points to another character, do any of you have a way in which you narrate that or is it simply treated as a meta-game action? Love this game...!
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Re: Luck Allocation in Game

Post by GnomeBoy »

I can answer for myself with a question: When the piano that happens to be falling from a high window as you walk by doesn't land on your head, is there a particular way you describe it not hitting you? :mrgreen:

Then again, in some campaigns people might treat it as the Halfling actively doing something, like plucking a four-leaf clover from it's lapel and blowing it off his hand in the direction of the person he wants to favor, I don't know...

To me, it's the player spending the Luck points, not the Halfling, per se.
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
aesdana
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by aesdana »

GnomeBoy wrote:I can answer for myself with a question: When the piano that happens to be falling from a high window as you walk by doesn't land on your head, is there a particular way you describe it not hitting you? :mrgreen:

Then again, in some campaigns people might treat it as the Halfling actively doing something, like plucking a four-leaf clover from it's lapel and blowing it off his hand in the direction of the person he wants to favor, I don't know...

To me, it's the player spending the Luck points, not the Halfling, per se.
Same here !

Sometimes the environment behaves in strange & positive ways...

... and more often when there's a friendly halfling nearby.
catseye yellow
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by catseye yellow »

if player wants to narrate it, fine and dandy. if not i usually make something up to show fortuna smiling to the receiving character.
cjoepar
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by cjoepar »

I try to work the Halfling into the narrative if it's not too hard. Halfling Luck saves a friend from a trap? I might say that the Halfling shouted out a warning at the last moment to avert disaster. If it's not easy to slip into the narrative, I just move forward without adding any details to tie the Halfling to the event.
fanditch
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by fanditch »

Good points, all. Thanks for your replies....helps a lot.
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

cjoepar wrote:Halfling Luck saves a friend from a trap? I might say that the Halfling shouted out a warning at the last moment to avert disaster.
Just curious -- is that as a player, or as a GM? Personally, when playing, I don't want the GM putting words in my mouth.
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham

Return to “Rules discussion”