What constitutes a Failure when it comes to Turn Unholy?

For DCC RPG rules discussion. Includes rules questions and ideas, new rules suggestions, homebrews and hacks, conversions to other systems, and everything else rules-related.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Kizarvexius
Ill-Fated Peasant

What constitutes a Failure when it comes to Turn Unholy?

Post by Kizarvexius »

Regarding the triggering of the disapproval range increment: I'd assume that an unholy creature that avoids being turned doesn't necessarily equate to the Cleric "failing" re: the action itself. E.g. maybe the creature made a saving throw.

So what constitutes a Failure when it comes to Turn Unholy? I think it means 1-11 on the table since that would jive with the spirit behind the rules being similar to wizard spell failure (in general DC of 10 + (2x spell level) to succeed). This implies that the NE result doesn't necessarily mean failure on the Cleric's part. Something does happen it just so happens that the something doesn't apply to various Unholy in other columns.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Re: What constitutes a Failure when it comes to Turn Unholy?

Post by Raven_Crowking »

I don't count Turn Unholy as something that increases Disapproval, personally. I like to encourage its use when appropriate. Spells are risky; standing there with your holy symbol aloft is considerably less so.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
NJPDX
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Re: What constitutes a Failure when it comes to Turn Unholy?

Post by NJPDX »

Kizarvexius wrote:Regarding the triggering of the disapproval range increment: I'd assume that an unholy creature that avoids being turned doesn't necessarily equate to the Cleric "failing" re: the action itself. E.g. maybe the creature made a saving throw.

So what constitutes a Failure when it comes to Turn Unholy? I think it means 1-11 on the table since that would jive with the spirit behind the rules being similar to wizard spell failure (in general DC of 10 + (2x spell level) to succeed). This implies that the NE result doesn't necessarily mean failure on the Cleric's part. Something does happen it just so happens that the something doesn't apply to various Unholy in other columns.
If you are going strictly by the book, then I'd say that a result of 'NE' is a failure. My interpretation would be that turning more powerful undead is like casting a higher level spell - for instance a level 5 cleric spell fails on a 1-19, not 1-11.

High level undead or demons haven't really been a part of any of my games so far, so it hasn't really come up, but as Raven_Crowking suggests, there's nothing wrong with doing it whatever way works best for you; it's your game.

Return to “Rules discussion”