Cleric Spells

For DCC RPG rules discussion. Includes rules questions and ideas, new rules suggestions, homebrews and hacks, conversions to other systems, and everything else rules-related.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Evil Genius Prime
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Cleric Spells

Post by Evil Genius Prime »

Do clerics get random starting spells like a wizard? Or do they have access to all cleric spells like in most fantasy RPGs?
cjoepar
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Re: Cleric Spells

Post by cjoepar »

I give out spells randomly, but I allow them to swap a spell out at any time if they do some significant service for their deity.
Pesky
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Pesky »

Evil Genius Prime wrote:Do clerics get random starting spells like a wizard? Or do they have access to all cleric spells like in most fantasy RPGs?
RAW is that they only know a subset of spells, the number of which is indicated on pg. 31. I have the player roll randomly on table 5-9 to determine the spells. If a player wants to swap out a spell, then I like to require a quest to prove worthiness. Of course, YMMV.
Terry Olson
Ravenheart87
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ravenheart87 »

I choose spells for them based on their gods. Sometimes I even give them from Wizard spell list, if it fits the deity.
Vorpal Mace: a humble rpg blog with some DCC-related stuff.
Evil Genius Prime
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Evil Genius Prime »

Ravenheart87 wrote:I choose spells for them based on their gods. Sometimes I even give them from Wizard spell list, if it fits the deity.
That's a cool idea. I like it. :D
MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by MrHemlocks »

I let them choose what spells the cleric has. It is their character...let them have fun with it! Of course, I also stir them in the 'right' direction and tell them the spells need to fit their god and our DCC campaign setting.
Stretch
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Stretch »

Evil Genius Prime wrote:
Ravenheart87 wrote:I choose spells for them based on their gods. Sometimes I even give them from Wizard spell list, if it fits the deity.
That's a cool idea. I like it. :D
Just remember to keep the level in mind when doing this as a different level would mean you would have a minus (or possibly plus) due to level difference. This is listed on Table 5-8 in the core book as the first asterisk below the table.

"Because the wizard version of the spell (in this case Detect Magic) is a different level, the wizard receives a -2 penalty to spell checks when cast it."
-Stretch
If you survive a crucible you grow the stronger for it. - Arrow.

Return to “Rules discussion”