Deity Disapproval & Luck Modifier

For DCC RPG rules discussion. Includes rules questions and ideas, new rules suggestions, homebrews and hacks, conversions to other systems, and everything else rules-related.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Arayis
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Deity Disapproval & Luck Modifier

Post by Arayis »

Judges, I need some clarification regarding how the luck modifier reduces this roll. :D

Does it reduce the number of 1d4 dice rolled (essentially reducing the disapproval range) or does it just reduce the total result of the number of 1d4 dice rolled?

Quoted from the book pg. 122
Each and every time a cleric rolls a natural 1 on a spell check, he must roll on table 5-7: Disapproval. In addition, any time a cleric rolls within his disapproval range (based on number of failed spell checks on this day), disapproval also occurs.
The roll is 1d4 for every point on the spell check. For example, if the cleric rolled a natural 1, he would roll 1d4. If he rolled a natural 4 and that counted as disapproval, he would roll 4d4. And so on. This roll is reduced by the cleric’s Luck modifier.
NJPDX
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Re: Deity Disapproval & Luck Modifier

Post by NJPDX »

I'm pretty sure the answer is right there in the text. The "roll" is reduced, not the number of dice.
Arayis
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Arayis »

That's how it reads to me as well NJPDX. I have two players in my game that think it's the number of dice rolled. One is a cleric of the hidden lord with a 18 luck & the other is his elf follower. I can see why they read it to be the number of dice rolled as it would reduce the disapproval roll significantly. :lol:

Any other judges out there care to chime in on this?
cjoepar
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by cjoepar »

Well, I guess what I'd say is that the Judge is the one who judges how to interpret the rules, not the players. Players can certainly provide input and express opinions, but as the Judge, it is your call. How do you want it to be done? That's how it should be done.

But Like NJPDX expressed, it looks pretty clear when you read the text as to how the author intended for it to work.
Arayis
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Arayis »

I could not agree with you more cjoepar. I also see that it is pretty clear based on your & NJPDX posts on what the authors intent of the rule is as that was the way it read to me as well. Thanks guys for weighing in on this. :D
NJPDX
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by NJPDX »

No problem. I have to admit that when I first read the rule, it made me think twice.

Return to “Rules discussion”