JediOre's Houserules for Elves & Halflings

For DCC RPG rules discussion. Includes rules questions and ideas, new rules suggestions, homebrews and hacks, conversions to other systems, and everything else rules-related.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

JediOre
Cold-Hearted Immortal

JediOre's Houserules for Elves & Halflings

Post by JediOre »

These rules have not been tested in any real detail, but came about from reading these forums, the rule book, and trying to match these classes/races to better fit our thoughts. Your comments are welcome! :)

Elves
--Cannot be corrupted on a spell check roll of one.
--Uses the d16 as the base spell check die.
--For the elf, they can gain no roll lower than thirty-eight on the Mercurial Magic table.
----The above three changes represent the elf's long term perspective. They are not worried about getting all the power one can get in a short time, as human wizards are wont to do. Instead, they look at a bit weaker spell casting until they gain more levels and thus, more wisdom and discernment. Since time is not an issue, they can take this approach.

--For patron bond and invoke patron, the elf uses the d20 die.
--Elves are unable to acquire a familiar.

A subclass of Elf: Elf Archer
--A player that wants his elf to be the archer of Tolkien fame, the elf loses his spell casting ability except for patron bond and invoke patron.
--The Elf Archer gains the Attack modifier, Mighty Deed of Arms, and Critical Hits of a warrior of the same level but only for long and short bows.

Halfling Subclass: The Slinger
--In lieu of having the halfling having the two-weapon fighting skills, the halfling can excel as a slinger.
-- The Halfling Slinger gains the Attack modifier, Mighty Deed of Arms, and Critical Hits of a warrior of the same level but only for the sling and hand hurled weapons.
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Re: JediOre's Houserules for Elves & Halflings

Post by GnomeBoy »

Initial thoughts without self-editing (spit-balling, in other words):

If I were to use a scheme like this, I'd make the Elf's Patron Die (as it were) a d24. Maybe even a d30, if that's the only spellcasting they get. Maybe a d30 and they can't spellburn?

I'm not a huge fan of spreading the Mighty Deed mechanic around, so I'd make that one level below their current level, at least. And actually, if someone wanted those sorts of characters, I'd be more likely to employ Raven Crowkiing's multiclassing rules (which, admittedly, I haven't used yet, but which look good, and I know that they have been used elsewhere, just not by me yet).

Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
JediOre
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by JediOre »

GnomeBoy wrote:I'd be more likely to employ Raven Crowkiing's multiclassing rules
GnomeBoy, thanks for your thoughts. I like having others eye-ball ideas, for often they get better with input.

Would you point me to a link for the multi-class rules?
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
JediOre
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by JediOre »

Raven_Crowking, thanks for the link.

GnomeBoy, I like the idea of raising the die type for the patron spells for elves. That seems a good balance.
oncelor
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by oncelor »

I like all these variants.

Return to “Rules discussion”