Spellburn to regain a spell - time

For DCC RPG rules discussion. Includes rules questions and ideas, new rules suggestions, homebrews and hacks, conversions to other systems, and everything else rules-related.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

foot land-raker
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Spellburn to regain a spell - time

Post by foot land-raker »

Do you allow a wizard to spellburn to regain a spell and cast the spell in the same round?
I am joined with no foot-land rakers, no long-staff sixpenny strikers, none of these mad mustachio purple-hued malt-worms; but with nobility and tranquillity, burgomasters and great oneyers...
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Re: Spellburn to regain a spell - time

Post by GnomeBoy »

Hasn't come up as a Judge -- but yes.

I also interpret it that the spellburn to bring back a lost spell just lets you cast it that one time, but I know some folks say it brings it back until you lose it again.
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
Pesky
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Pesky »

foot land-raker wrote:Do you allow a wizard to spellburn to regain a spell and cast the spell in the same round?
FWIW, I let the PC treat the spellburn as a move action, so if the casting time for the spell is 1 action, then he can cast in the same round (assuming he does nothing else). If the casting time for the spell is a round, then the spellburn and the casting happen in separate rounds. I also agree with GnomeBoy that the spellburn allows one to recast the spell just that time. If the PC wants to recast the lost spell again on the same day then another spellburn is needed.
Terry Olson
DCCfan
Steely-Eyed Heathen-Slayer
FLGS: The Comics Club

Post by DCCfan »

I allow it to be cast in the same round. I treat the spellburn action as extra component for the spell. I also only allow one casting per spellburn.
"When creating your character,choose an ethical system that can justify nearly any fit of temper, greed, cowardice, or vindictiveness, for example, Chaotic Violent..."

THE PROTOCOLS, ADVANCED PROTOCOL #10
Cthulhuoid
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Cthulhuoid »

I do, basically - a point per spell level, plus a requirement to spellburn for additional points equal to the level.

What I also do is make the PC roll on the spellburn chart, OR have a delay in initiative equal to the spell level.
Judge Roy Snyder

Return to “Rules discussion”