RPG noob HP question

For DCC RPG rules discussion. Includes rules questions and ideas, new rules suggestions, homebrews and hacks, conversions to other systems, and everything else rules-related.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

discopete
Ill-Fated Peasant

RPG noob HP question

Post by discopete »

Hello fellow dungeon crawlers!

Just reading through the rules in preparation for running a session at my family reunion this summer :D and something struck me as a little unclear:

Do the die rolls for HP each level set a "Maximum HP" for that character from then on or can they potentially heal up to the maximum for that hit dice while at that level? For example, if my level 1 dwarf rolls an 8 on his 1d10 hit die (in addition to his level 0 HP - say 3) then is his max level 1 HP from then on 11? Or could he potentially go up to 14 (4 for 0 level and 10 for level 1)?

Thanks for your help!

Pete
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Re: RPG noob HP question

Post by GnomeBoy »

Generally, that 8 rolled is your max (so, 11 if you had 3 a 0 level). You can't heal more than you've rolled.

Of course, there could be magic and such out there in the game world that could boost your total. Just as rolling a 12 Strength means that you can only heal back to 12 if you take Strength damage -- but if drinking the Waters of Life give you +2 Strength, you now have a 14 and can heal back to 14 Strength if you take Strength damage, something out there could potentially get you additional hit points beyond what you've rolled.
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
discopete
Ill-Fated Peasant

Re: RPG noob HP question

Post by discopete »

Thanks for the reply! That makes sense. After examining the character sheets a little closer, I noticed there's a space for Max HP which would only make sense if the dice rolls capped the max.

Thanks again!

Pete

Return to “Rules discussion”