Torch and Lantern Duration

For DCC RPG rules discussion. Includes rules questions and ideas, new rules suggestions, homebrews and hacks, conversions to other systems, and everything else rules-related.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

King Friday
Gongfarmer

Torch and Lantern Duration

Post by King Friday »

Hi, new to the board and about to run my first DCC 0-level funnel this week.

Considering how tracking time is so important in DCC, I was surprised to find no rules concerning burn duration for torches and oil lanterns. Did I miss something, or should I house-rule? If I gotta house-rule, what do the rest of you do?
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Re: Torch and Lantern Duration

Post by finarvyn »

Honestly, I run length and mass and time in a very "loose" manner. I don't get hung up in tracking torch burning time, only instead I make sure that the party has bothered to acquire torches at the start and assume that they burn them at a regular rate. Details like actual time tracking seem to slow down the pace of my action too much.
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
Gameogre
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Gameogre »

In my games a torch will last about a hour. Much less when used as a fiery club! Even less when hacked at or thrown into huts!
marshal kt

Post by marshal kt »

Dropping a torch or lantern, or having it go out is a good response to a player rolling a fumble.
King Friday
Gongfarmer

Post by King Friday »

Great suggestions. Thanks!

I did find in the equipment table footnotes that a flask of oil in a lamp burns 6 hours, same as the mother-game. Torches there burn an hour, so I can use that if I feel the need to be precise. However, your suggestions got me thinking ... there's no guarantee that PCs will always buy "standard" quality torches and oil. I could secretly roll a 5-sider when they purchase a batch: 1=crappy torches/oil that burn half as long and/or give off feeble light, 2-4=standard, 5= exceptional quality that burns half again as long and/or significantly brighter. Unless the PCs test their purchases ahead of time they wouldn't know how long their stuff would burn until they were well into the dungeon. Probably too much record keeping, but the emergent play situations sound really interesting, don't you think? :twisted:
Gameogre
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Gameogre »

I stuck my pc's with cheapo torches one time that put out triple the amount of smoke. Made it hard to see if they stayed in one place for long and smelled godawful! I had every critter around either go running away or running to them.

It only worked once but was fun while it lasted!
Skyscraper
Steely-Eyed Heathen-Slayer

Post by Skyscraper »

Generally, the oil runs out or the torch extinguishes just at the wrong time. You know, when you hear some bone-chilling scraping sounds from just beyond that corner, getting closer and closer...

That's my rule of thumb.
Maledict Brothbreath, level 4 warrior, STR 16 (+2) AGI 7 (-1) STA 12 PER 9 INT 10 LUCK 15 (+1), AC: 16 Refl: +1 Fort: +2 Will: +1; lawful; Armor of the Lion and Lily's Blade.

Brother Sufferus, level 4 cleric, STR 13 (+1) AGI 15 (+1) STA 11 PER 13 (+1) INT 10 LUCK 9, AC: 11 (13 if wounded, 15 if down to half hit points), Refl: +3 Fort: +2 Will: +3, chaotic, Robe of the Faith, Scourge of the Maimed One, Darts of Pain.

Return to “Rules discussion”