Two Newbie Questions

For DCC RPG rules discussion. Includes rules questions and ideas, new rules suggestions, homebrews and hacks, conversions to other systems, and everything else rules-related.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

foot land-raker
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Two Newbie Questions

Post by foot land-raker »

1.) If you roll a ranged weapon with your occupation, do you get ammunition with it?

2.) What's with the luck augur and racial bonuses to find secret doors? It would seem from the Skills description that looking for a secret door is not a situation in one needs to roll, but rather describe how they look, i.e. "I pull on the sconce to see if it is a lever." Kind of confused about this.
I am joined with no foot-land rakers, no long-staff sixpenny strikers, none of these mad mustachio purple-hued malt-worms; but with nobility and tranquillity, burgomasters and great oneyers...
Doug Kovacs
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Re: Two Newbie Questions

Post by Doug Kovacs »

1. Probably, but its up to the Judge. I've usually rolled a die d6,d8, d10 ? something like that. If your character is really stupid maybe they forgot. Maybe something like INT minus 1d12?

2.Secret doors are tricky as a Judge because you don't want the players to miss every secret door, but I personally don't care for the game being slowed down with players searching everywhere a secret door isn't.

If someone is actively searching you might roll a INT or Luck modified check against a DC reflecting how well the secret door is hidden. A good description of what the player is doing should trump this, and maybe even add to a roll if it comes down to that.

The luck augur should probably apply to a situation in which the player isn't even looking as well as actively searching . That's how I would judge it. Problem there is it would be up to the judge to remember. A good player might be reminding the judge and also actively searching.

Hopefully that helps, there are many many things you need to judge on the fly and then move on .

Focusing on niggly little stuff might seem important to some players but overall if run well the Dm or Judge will find a game is better if they put their efforts into larger issues.
DOUG KOVACS
Artist/Illustrator
dk@dougkovacs.com
http://dougkovacs.com
The Drain Chamber (Blog)
http://dougkovacs.com/dkblog/
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

1. Page 23, note to "Trained Weapon" on Table 1-3: Occupations: "If a missile fire weapon (such as sling or dart), roll 1d6 to determine number of sling stones or darts."

2. If using a roll, simply apply the modifier. If using descriptive technique, use the modifier as a gauge as to how much (or little) slack to cut that description. For example, if a character has a +3 bonus, and even begins looking for discoloured stones, you might mention the sconce. On the other hand, an character with a penalty might not have the door work the first time they try to pull the sconce, as the mechanism sticks.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
Doug Kovacs
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Doug Kovacs »

There you go. I avoid looking anything up in the book when I have a common sense answer. Either way works.
DOUG KOVACS
Artist/Illustrator
dk@dougkovacs.com
The Drain Chamber (Blog)
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

Doug Kovacs wrote:There you go. I avoid looking anything up in the book when I have a common sense answer. Either way works.
The two approaches absolutely work. I'm more of a 'common senser/make something up' guy, but I know from playing with dudes that want to go by the book, that it's good to know what's in the book, and be able to either go with that, or be able to say "here's why this time we're doing that differently...".
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
Doug Kovacs
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Doug Kovacs »

During my 2E days we used to have a "find the loophole in the rules" house rule to give me a reason why I didn't just kill you.
Back in the day there were only a few guys who had the , "by the book" mentality, but it was cool to see everyone chip in sometimes to try to keep a character alive by finding some technicality.
DOUG KOVACS
Artist/Illustrator
dk@dougkovacs.com
The Drain Chamber (Blog)
Maxwell Luther
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Maxwell Luther »

Me personally, I use the roll secretly when they pass by a door without searching (technically, I have a list of rolls that I mark off so as not to give it away by rolling at the time) and then I let their actions guide me when they actively search ('I pull on the candelabra' or 'I try and move the wall mirror') with a roll only used when they do a generic 'search the wall for loose stones' or the like.
Skyscraper
Steely-Eyed Heathen-Slayer

Post by Skyscraper »

GnomeBoy wrote:
Doug Kovacs wrote:There you go. I avoid looking anything up in the book when I have a common sense answer. Either way works.
The two approaches absolutely work. I'm more of a 'common senser/make something up' guy, but I know from playing with dudes that want to go by the book, that it's good to know what's in the book, and be able to either go with that, or be able to say "here's why this time we're doing that differently...".
Wait, there's a book? With rules?
Maledict Brothbreath, level 4 warrior, STR 16 (+2) AGI 7 (-1) STA 12 PER 9 INT 10 LUCK 15 (+1), AC: 16 Refl: +1 Fort: +2 Will: +1; lawful; Armor of the Lion and Lily's Blade.

Brother Sufferus, level 4 cleric, STR 13 (+1) AGI 15 (+1) STA 11 PER 13 (+1) INT 10 LUCK 9, AC: 11 (13 if wounded, 15 if down to half hit points), Refl: +3 Fort: +2 Will: +3, chaotic, Robe of the Faith, Scourge of the Maimed One, Darts of Pain.
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

Skyscraper wrote:
GnomeBoy wrote:
Wait, there's a book? With rules?
It was only part of the premium pre-order package. Sorry you missed out.
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham

Return to “Rules discussion”