Effects of Stun?

For DCC RPG rules discussion. Includes rules questions and ideas, new rules suggestions, homebrews and hacks, conversions to other systems, and everything else rules-related.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

fanditch
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Effects of Stun?

Post by fanditch »

While Judging recently, in one module I ran into a situation where the PC was to be "stunned for one round." I tried to find the effects of a stun in the core book, but could not find anything specific. I also ran into crit results that say a character is "stunned for 1d3 rounds," but no effect is listed. Where can I find the stunned rules? I ruled on the fly, saying that the PC would take -2 to all roles while stunned, but I now want to know if I am missing something in the core book.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Re: Effects of Stun?

Post by Raven_Crowking »

In my game, a stunned character cannot take actions but can still defend him or herself.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
cjoepar
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by cjoepar »

The best I can find is the first mention of being stunned in the Crit tables says that the stunned creature falls to the bottom of the initiative order in the next round. I would probably reduce their AD by 1 step, too, but that's just me.

One of the things that has become very clear to me after several sessions of DCC is that it recreates the earliest edition mood in many ways. One of which is vagueness or ambiguity in a lot of rules areas, leaving the door open for your own personal interpretation. This can be a little frustrating or disorienting to players of more current generation versions of rpg's where every minutiae of the rules are specified in great detail.

I hope that perspective is helpful. :)
Rick
Cold-Blooded Diabolist
FLGS: Gateway Games & More

Post by Rick »

When in doubt I typically default to the D20 srd:
Stunned
A stunned creature drops everything held, can’t take actions, takes a -2 penalty to AC, and loses his Dexterity bonus to AC (if any).
...unless I don't like it & make something up :)
fanditch
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by fanditch »

Thanks for your responses. They definitely help. I think that from now on I will use the "stunned" example from the Crit table.

Return to “Rules discussion”