Why isn't Luck used more like other stats?

For DCC RPG rules discussion. Includes rules questions and ideas, new rules suggestions, homebrews and hacks, conversions to other systems, and everything else rules-related.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Gameogre
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Why isn't Luck used more like other stats?

Post by Gameogre »

Why isn't Luck used more like Hit points or any other stat?

When creating a character is you have a negative number (if I'm right on this)the negative isn't used,only if the number is positive is it used.

The character uses the bonus he rolled on the Birth Table regardless of what his current Luck is. Even if he has blown his luck down to a 3 he still gets the +3 bonus if he had a 18 in luck at character creation.

Would it be so bad if you used both negative or positive results of the table and kept the modifiers current?

Would that be too much a pain? Too much paper work? Would it negatively impact play?

I'm just not sure.
Skyscraper
Steely-Eyed Heathen-Slayer

Re: Why isn't Luck used more like other stats?

Post by Skyscraper »

Gameogre wrote:Why isn't Luck used more like Hit points or any other stat?

When creating a character is you have a negative number (if I'm right on this)the negative isn't used,only if the number is positive is it used.

The character uses the bonus he rolled on the Birth Table regardless of what his current Luck is. Even if he has blown his luck down to a 3 he still gets the +3 bonus if he had a 18 in luck at character creation.

Would it be so bad if you used both negative or positive results of the table and kept the modifiers current?

Would that be too much a pain? Too much paper work? Would it negatively impact play?

I'm just not sure.
I believe you're specifically referring to the birht augur, and only that, right? (Your thread title suggests an overarching Luck question, not just a birth augur question.)

If so, I think it changes nothing to use the current stat or the stat at character creation, from a game mechanics perspective. I.e. whatever you rolled at character creation, you may have more or less when a roll is required that is influenced by your birth augur. And even if it did change something (e.g. the player spends luck more frequently than the judge awards, thus his current luck score is usually lower than it could be), the birth augur influences rolls very rarely anyway.

It seems to me that the idea here was only one of flavor. The designers decided that the birth augur would be influenced by your luck at the time you were born, period. It makes sense to me, but if you are more comfortable explaining the birth augur with the character's current luck score instead, I wouldn't blink an eye if I were you if you feel like changing it if it makes more sense to you the other way around.
Maledict Brothbreath, level 4 warrior, STR 16 (+2) AGI 7 (-1) STA 12 PER 9 INT 10 LUCK 15 (+1), AC: 16 Refl: +1 Fort: +2 Will: +1; lawful; Armor of the Lion and Lily's Blade.

Brother Sufferus, level 4 cleric, STR 13 (+1) AGI 15 (+1) STA 11 PER 13 (+1) INT 10 LUCK 9, AC: 11 (13 if wounded, 15 if down to half hit points), Refl: +3 Fort: +2 Will: +3, chaotic, Robe of the Faith, Scourge of the Maimed One, Darts of Pain.
Gameogre
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Gameogre »

I guess mostly I was thinking about Birth Augur,though I didn't realize it.

After reading your post and going back over the book I guess I do see where being born under a sign and to use Luck at birth as a mark to go by, works.

I'll not mess with it.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Take into account that Luck tends to decrease as characters rise in level, so the Birth Auger effects being tied to initial Luck is, for many characters, a good thing. It also allows you to play William Money...regardless of his luck with pigs, he's always been lucky at killing (attack rolls, I'm guessing, but maybe damage or initiative.....).
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
Rostranor
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Rostranor »

hell yeah William Money and DCC in the same thread.

"You just slayed an unarmored peasant!"

"He shouldnt have been in the funnel."
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

"He shoulda armed himself if he was fixing to play in my funnel."
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
Rostranor
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Rostranor »

+1D

Yup thats better.

Return to “Rules discussion”