Treasure by level question...

For DCC RPG rules discussion. Includes rules questions and ideas, new rules suggestions, homebrews and hacks, conversions to other systems, and everything else rules-related.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

DM Marcus
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Treasure by level question...

Post by DM Marcus »

I love the whole idea of a medieval economy that "involves more barter than coinage". It's just another great and thoughtful immersion in this wonderful game. But I am trying to get a better grasp on the expected adventurers treasure by level and wondering what everyone else's take was and how you decided to dole out those rare rewards.

The starting gold per character per level chart on page 70 gives a good idea of what the designers thought appropriate for the first three levels, but it raises a question to me about the rarity of coinage that I am having trouble reconciling. It appears that by level 3, the designers intended that the adventurers would be able to easily purchase the most expensive item that I could find listed amongst the equipment pages (the full plate armor), with plenty to spare.

Has anyone extrapolated a chart beyond the first three levels? I know that a lot of the intent in the rules is to let Judges have room to finagle their own system, but it would be nice to get some other ideas about what monetary value to place on more high end items.

Example: if a level three elf is expected to have 3D12 + 2,000 gold, and magical items are to be quested for, not purchased, what are your characters spending that gold on?

Again, I love the more modest economy that the game starts out with. But it seems that it quickly escalates upward to amounts that far surpass what's for sale. All I can see that is left for the PCs to buy would be high-priced magic items.

Thanks in advance for yoir input!
tovokas
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Re: Treasure by level question...

Post by tovokas »

With extra funds (beyond that needed to upgrade gear), I like to get a bit 'meta': introducing a 'like Conan, you blow virtually everything you've gained on riotous living between adventures" mechanic. This sounds capricious, but it accurately reflects the kind of lifestyle most adventuring types would live, more Mike Tyson than Dave Ramsey. And you can have fun with it: have them buy decaying towers they can name after themselves; purchase needlessly gaudy fur-lined cloaks and daggers with bejeweled handles to impress the locals; maintain a band of sycophantic camp servants that stock a luxurious tent with expensive treats acquired in the Great City itself! But the key is to have the absurd spending benefit the players: helping them to be locally famous, connected and respected... as long as the gold flows. And when the coins run out... well that explains why another dangerous adventure is absolutely essential. :)
Jon Marr
Purple Sorcerer Games
purplesorcerer.com
Skyscraper
Steely-Eyed Heathen-Slayer

Post by Skyscraper »

tovokas wrote:With extra funds (beyond that needed to upgrade gear), I like to get a bit 'meta': introducing a 'like Conan, you blow virtually everything you've gained on riotous living between adventures" mechanic. This sounds capricious, but it accurately reflects the kind of lifestyle most adventuring types would live, more Mike Tyson than Dave Ramsey. And you can have fun with it: have them buy decaying towers they can name after themselves; purchase needlessly gaudy fur-lined cloaks and daggers with bejeweled handles to impress the locals; maintain a band of sycophantic camp servants that stock a luxurious tent with expensive treats acquired in the Great City itself! But the key is to have the absurd spending benefit the players: helping them to be locally famous, connected and respected... as long as the gold flows. And when the coins run out... well that explains why another dangerous adventure is absolutely essential. :)
Haha, this is excellent :)

Myself, I don't follow any treasure guidelines. I give out very little treasure too. After about 8-9 gaming sessions (3 at level 1), they barely each have a set of armor (leather for the most part, and two chainmails!) and they own a single magic item (the entire group, not per character). They just found 10 arrows and they were close to exstatic! :) They actually have an artifact too, but it's chaotic and has some drawbacks so they decided to drop it to the bottom of the immense Gem Lake because they feared it. Although, the item mysteriously appeared on the coast a few weeks later when the wizard happened by... And he couldn't resist picking it up. No one else knows about that in the group...

Generally, I follow what's fun for the game. Balance is not something I strive for. I do my best not to kill anyone, but it happens frequently enough.
Maledict Brothbreath, level 4 warrior, STR 16 (+2) AGI 7 (-1) STA 12 PER 9 INT 10 LUCK 15 (+1), AC: 16 Refl: +1 Fort: +2 Will: +1; lawful; Armor of the Lion and Lily's Blade.

Brother Sufferus, level 4 cleric, STR 13 (+1) AGI 15 (+1) STA 11 PER 13 (+1) INT 10 LUCK 9, AC: 11 (13 if wounded, 15 if down to half hit points), Refl: +3 Fort: +2 Will: +3, chaotic, Robe of the Faith, Scourge of the Maimed One, Darts of Pain.
DM Marcus
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by DM Marcus »

Are there any judges that have tried to adhere to the proposed treasure scale? Have you found it to be wonky or does it feel about right?
Skyscraper
Steely-Eyed Heathen-Slayer

Post by Skyscraper »

In our last session they have found their greatest treasure yet: 250 copper pieces and 5 silver pieces. There were oh's and ha's all around the table.
Maledict Brothbreath, level 4 warrior, STR 16 (+2) AGI 7 (-1) STA 12 PER 9 INT 10 LUCK 15 (+1), AC: 16 Refl: +1 Fort: +2 Will: +1; lawful; Armor of the Lion and Lily's Blade.

Brother Sufferus, level 4 cleric, STR 13 (+1) AGI 15 (+1) STA 11 PER 13 (+1) INT 10 LUCK 9, AC: 11 (13 if wounded, 15 if down to half hit points), Refl: +3 Fort: +2 Will: +3, chaotic, Robe of the Faith, Scourge of the Maimed One, Darts of Pain.
Gameogre
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Gameogre »

My players find piles of Gold and Silver with even a few Platinum Trade bars in the really Huge hauls. They find magic items littering the evil halls they delve into all the time but almost always stay well clear of them. Very few magic Items make it past their should we mess with it test. Mostly due to twice having mid level characters cut out from under them by wicked cursed magic that turned one of them into a Devil Swine(who ate another pc before going down) and once slowly turned them all into Vampires(they were fine with that until they realized this meant npc status...those Vampires are STILL a huge pain the the side of the party).

Money is easy come easy go in our games. Frankly wealth is the reason they adventure!
ragboy
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by ragboy »

tovokas wrote:With extra funds (beyond that needed to upgrade gear), I like to get a bit 'meta': introducing a 'like Conan, you blow virtually everything you've gained on riotous living between adventures" mechanic. This sounds capricious, but it accurately reflects the kind of lifestyle most adventuring types would live, more Mike Tyson than Dave Ramsey. And you can have fun with it: have them buy decaying towers they can name after themselves; purchase needlessly gaudy fur-lined cloaks and daggers with bejeweled handles to impress the locals; maintain a band of sycophantic camp servants that stock a luxurious tent with expensive treats acquired in the Great City itself! But the key is to have the absurd spending benefit the players: helping them to be locally famous, connected and respected... as long as the gold flows. And when the coins run out... well that explains why another dangerous adventure is absolutely essential. :)
Historically, adventurers/mercenaries kept their wealth in their weapons and in bejeweled/gilded items. Like the viking thing, where they converted their unused plunder to gold bands that their wives wore around their necks and such. And the number of gold bands definitely had status symbol implications. Either way, converting gold to portable wealth, even though it smelled like meta-gaming back in the day, is rather historically accurate.

I did a lifestyle system for C&C, but easily translated. It's probably too granular for episodic play. http://mysticbull.pbworks.com/w/page/32 ... rofessions
AKA Paul Wolfe
The Mystic Bull: Check out our two FREE prehistoric adventures: The Steading of the Nergalites AND The Tribe of Ogg and the Gift of Suss
In the Prison of the Squid Sorcerer (PDF) and softcover: 12 Short Adventures for DCC!
The God-Seed Awakens: 3rd Level Adventure for DCC. New patron, new spells, lots of new monsters and the living weapons of the Empire of Thal!
My Gamer Profile

Return to “Rules discussion”