Lucky roll, am I missing something?

For DCC RPG rules discussion. Includes rules questions and ideas, new rules suggestions, homebrews and hacks, conversions to other systems, and everything else rules-related.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

MonsterSlayer
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Lucky roll, am I missing something?

Post by MonsterSlayer »

First, thank you to everyone that I have seen handing out great advice and resources on the forums. I don't usually join forums but this game is awesome and I have seen some great material on here.

I have a question: On character creation there is the "Lucky Roll" chart that gives you a bonus or negative to one attribute based on the roll. But if your character has a Luck score that falls in the average range, they would not have a bonus one way or another.

As we have rolled up 0-levels a few times trying the game out, my players have questioned the reason for rolling if the character isn't going to get a bonus one way or the other?

I understand it gives a bit of flavor to the character even if they do not get a boon or hindrance. But, am I playing this right or does the Lucky Roll do something even for characters with an average Luck score?
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Re: Lucky roll, am I missing something?

Post by GnomeBoy »

By the rules, you're right -- the modifier of zero for the Lucky Roll never changes for those with a Luck of 9 to 12.

Some have ruled that it does change, keeping pace with wherever that character's Luck is at the moment. And some have ruled that it's always a minimum of +1 (if not higher, based on a starting Luck that is higher), and then is fixed for the life of the character.

I'd say, go with whatever sounds like more fun for you and yours.
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

It has an effect in Stars in the Darkness.

The judge can certainly create situations that give bonuses or penalties based on birth auger, even if it is an average score. The judge can also make a penalty into a bonus if he desires, especially for a particular effect. He may also make the base Luck roll change, and thus change the modifier.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
MonsterSlayer
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by MonsterSlayer »

See, this is why I joined this board. Thank you for the clarification and the ideas folks.
I think I will go with the Luck changing over time affecting the birth auger idea.

Plus it has the added benefit of burning luck that much more unique.
Skyscraper
Steely-Eyed Heathen-Slayer

Post by Skyscraper »

What we did in my game was that 9-10 also gave -1 penalty, and 11-12 also gave +1 bonus.

But if I were to redo this, I'd perhaps give a straight up bonus of +1 or better (if luck is 14 or more, you'd get your usual bonus), pursuant to the idea seen above.
Maledict Brothbreath, level 4 warrior, STR 16 (+2) AGI 7 (-1) STA 12 PER 9 INT 10 LUCK 15 (+1), AC: 16 Refl: +1 Fort: +2 Will: +1; lawful; Armor of the Lion and Lily's Blade.

Brother Sufferus, level 4 cleric, STR 13 (+1) AGI 15 (+1) STA 11 PER 13 (+1) INT 10 LUCK 9, AC: 11 (13 if wounded, 15 if down to half hit points), Refl: +3 Fort: +2 Will: +3, chaotic, Robe of the Faith, Scourge of the Maimed One, Darts of Pain.
The Venomous Pao
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by The Venomous Pao »

I decided to consider the "lucky roll" more as an astrological thing. I actually wrote up a replacement table where each result - though mechanically the same - referenced a constellation or other celestial event (comet, eclipse, etc.) for each listing. Positive and negative Luck mods meant that the character was born under that sign during a Full or New Moon, while the average person was born during a plain ol' waxing or waning moon. Thus, some people are unlucky (or even cursed) at whatever their birth constellation governs, while others are lucky/blessed, and most folks are just folks.

This did away with my angst (which went all the way back to the beta) of someone who (for example) "survived a spider bite" not having a bonus to his/her saving throw against poison because of a low or average Luck score. I mean, you "survived" the bite. That should mean you're tougher against it! I admit that I can see a negative value working there (it weakened you), but the middle ground just gnawed at me. So I quested for it, so to speak.

Anyway, my players couldn't have cared less about the intricacies of my chart (or the semantics that drove me to create it). So the chart got dropped and we moved on. But it helped me reconcile the concept in my head.
Skyscraper

Post by Skyscraper »

By the way, to a player who says "who cares what my birth augur is, my luck modifier is zero anyway", you can reply: "wait, you mean that you would not care to know that you were BORN ON THE BATTLEFIELD??! I mean, that would be pretty amazing, wouldn't it?" (I.e. show that YOU care. Maybe they'll catch on.)
Maledict Brothbreath, level 4 warrior, STR 16 (+2) AGI 7 (-1) STA 12 PER 9 INT 10 LUCK 15 (+1), AC: 16 Refl: +1 Fort: +2 Will: +1; lawful; Armor of the Lion and Lily's Blade.

Brother Sufferus, level 4 cleric, STR 13 (+1) AGI 15 (+1) STA 11 PER 13 (+1) INT 10 LUCK 9, AC: 11 (13 if wounded, 15 if down to half hit points), Refl: +3 Fort: +2 Will: +3, chaotic, Robe of the Faith, Scourge of the Maimed One, Darts of Pain.
Skars
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Skars »

I have also ruled that the Halfling can lend his Birth Augur bonus to the other party members (or hinder them if it's negative)
MonsterSlayer
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by MonsterSlayer »

Skyscraper wrote:By the way, to a player who says "who cares what my birth augur is, my luck modifier is zero anyway", you can reply: "wait, you mean that you would not care to know that you were BORN ON THE BATTLEFIELD??! I mean, that would be pretty amazing, wouldn't it?" (I.e. show that YOU care. Maybe they'll catch on.)
I agree with you on this point as well. It can definitely be a very cool part of character creation. Trust me, most of the Grognards I game with think I have gone batty with my exuberance concerning the flavoring in this game. I do wish the list (and therefore variety of birth augers) was longer in the book. The random roll for a piece of gear and mercurial magic have longer lists than the birth augers.

The other day I had several people rolling up 0 levels, lost count of the number of characters that had been "bit by a spider".

Spiders must be plague like levels in this game :wink:

-MonsterSlayer
Skyscraper

Post by Skyscraper »

MonsterSlayer wrote:
Skyscraper wrote:By the way, to a player who says "who cares what my birth augur is, my luck modifier is zero anyway", you can reply: "wait, you mean that you would not care to know that you were BORN ON THE BATTLEFIELD??! I mean, that would be pretty amazing, wouldn't it?" (I.e. show that YOU care. Maybe they'll catch on.)
I agree with you on this point as well. It can definitely be a very cool part of character creation. Trust me, most of the Grognards I game with think I have gone batty with my exuberance concerning the flavoring in this game. I do wish the list (and therefore variety of birth augers) was longer in the book. The random roll for a piece of gear and mercurial magic have longer lists than the birth augers.

The other day I had several people rolling up 0 levels, lost count of the number of characters that had been "bit by a spider".

Spiders must be plague like levels in this game :wink:

-MonsterSlayer
Haha, it reminds me of my players rolling up their zeros, five players rolling four each, they ended up with three shamans. The game was set to start in a village of 150 people. With 3 shamans. What was the likelihood? :)

Maybe you could provide a longer list of birth augurs and share it with us? :) (I'm pretty good to hand out work to everyone ;) )

Monster
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Monster »

I think even if you have no luck bonus, this auger can give you a skill you did not have.

Think "find traps" on a non theif. Normal chance is a D10, theives and those with this as
a birth auger roll a D20 modified by the normal attribute. Quite a bonus!

Think "turn undead/unholy" on a warrior. Get a chance on D20 plus personality to be a
ghetto paladin!

Think outside the box people!

Monster
To that creature, you are the monsters hunting it!
Noun mon·ster/mɒnstər/Show Spell[mon-ster]
1. a legendary animal combining features of animal and human form or having the forms of various animals in combination, as a centaur, griffin, or sphinx.
2. any creature so ugly or monstrous as to frighten people.
3. any animal or human grotesquely deviating from the normal shape, behavior, or character.
4. a person who excites horror by wickedness, cruelty, etc.
5. any animal or thing huge in size.
6. any small, unattended children running free

Return to “Rules discussion”