Magic Shield

For DCC RPG rules discussion. Includes rules questions and ideas, new rules suggestions, homebrews and hacks, conversions to other systems, and everything else rules-related.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Magic Shield

Post by Raven_Crowking »

32+ Result: The caster calls forth a globe of shimmering magical energies that protects him and his allies. The caster is automatically encased in this magical shield, as are all allies within a 10’ radius. The shimmering globes last until the next sunrise and follow the allies even if they leave the caster’s side. Each globe has five benefits: it provides a +8 bonus to AC; it blocks magic missiles automatically (see magic missile spell description); it reduces damage on all attacks against its target by 2 points; it blocks most attacks from mundane projectiles, reducing damage from any arrow, sling stone, bolt, dart, or other ranged weapon by 20 points per attack for the duration of the spell; and it provides a benefit in counterspelling equal to a +4 bonus to any subsequent spell check made as a counterspell. (page 146)

Okay, two adventure bits. One is an extra effect caused by casting a spell in a spider-god's hidden temple complex, where a roll is made modified by the caster's Luck modifier and the extra effect is added to the spell:

A tiny black spider with a mark on its abdomen like a crescent moon drops from the ceiling and bites the caster as the spell is completed. The caster takes 1d3 Strength damage and must make a Fort save (DC 10) or the loss is permanent. On a successful save, the damage heals normally.

Would you rule that "it reduces damage on all attacks against its target by 2 points" applies to this Strength damage or not? Why?

Second adventure bit:

A guardian can shoot a mass of sticky filaments from its mouth, but doing so depletes the network that keeps it whole. Each time a guardian does this, it takes 1d12+2 hp damage, and its light becomes dimmer. These filaments can only be washed off with alcohol, or some form of solvent. A creature struck by these filaments takes 1d3 points of Personality damage every minute the filaments remain in contact. If reduced to 0 Personality, the target undergoes a hideous transformation, and becomes a guardian of the temple.

Would you rule that "it reduces damage on all attacks against its target by 2 points" applies to this Personality damage or not? Why?

Looking forward to hearing what you think.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Re: Magic Shield

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Bueller?

SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
Skars
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Skars »

Rules as written is my vote; it reduces "damage" by 2 regardless of type. It's also a pretty spectacular spell effect (32+).
Skars
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Skars »

P.S. in both cases, there is potential for permanent damage still as it's a 1d3 roll and this only protects 2 points worth >:)
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

I'd be tempted to work out some kind of 'conversion' ratio, for the difference between hp damage and ability damage. I don't think they are exactly equatable, generally.

But a 'normal' person (zero leveler) probably has more Strength or Personality to lose than hp, even if as levels go up, the numbers shift in favor of more hp... But then again, losing ability points can have a bigger, faster impact than losing a few hp. General Yoros is going to have his combat effectiveness compromised by a 1d3 Strength damage, no matter what the roll. 1d3 hp is not going to be noticed (unless he's already in a critical situation).

I'm on the fence, leaning over in favor of saying (to keep it simple) the -2 is only a -1 if we're talkin' 'bout 'bility dam'ge. I mean, a couple of max rolls would be 6 ability damage! Nothing to sneeze at. 6 hp? "ouch" -- but not "OMG!". The intent of the spell would seem to be "taking the edge off of attacks" or negating the minor stuff, not negating something significant.
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
Skyscraper
Steely-Eyed Heathen-Slayer

Post by Skyscraper »

In doubt, where a reasonable argument can be made both ways, I tend to ask the player how he'd rule, and in case there is no clear consensus between he and I, I usually rule in favor of the player, and this is what I'd do here, because:

1) The rule doesn't say clearly that only HPs should be targetted.
2) Life in a RPG is complex enough as it is. PCs die. I like PCs to live, but they die. Why make it harder on them when the rules don't support it?
3) The player will be glad that his spell is so useful. 32+ is a high result, the PC perhaps (probably!) even spellburned to achieve this, let it be useful! I like that player decisions and/or luck yield interesting story twists. For the player, it will be an interesting story twist that his PC managed to avoid ability damage because of his spell.
4) We can argue extensively, in the end, does it change anything? The PC is likely to die later ;)
5) I think in the end it goes along my DMing style. I prefer that the rules be flexible and accommodate the players as much as they reasonably can; but that the challenge exist in the adventure itself. It's like in video games: I hate those where the controls are difficult and you can't move your car/avatar/whatnot as you would expect. I prefer those where the controls are intuitive (and perhaps realistic) and flexible, and where the challenge lies in the elements external to the actual control. In DCC, if I feel the rules make it easy on my players, I can up the challenge with stronger monsters, etc... to make the game interesting; however, when the player rolls a 32 for his spell, he's going to get a bang for his buck.
Maledict Brothbreath, level 4 warrior, STR 16 (+2) AGI 7 (-1) STA 12 PER 9 INT 10 LUCK 15 (+1), AC: 16 Refl: +1 Fort: +2 Will: +1; lawful; Armor of the Lion and Lily's Blade.

Brother Sufferus, level 4 cleric, STR 13 (+1) AGI 15 (+1) STA 11 PER 13 (+1) INT 10 LUCK 9, AC: 11 (13 if wounded, 15 if down to half hit points), Refl: +3 Fort: +2 Will: +3, chaotic, Robe of the Faith, Scourge of the Maimed One, Darts of Pain.
Rostranor
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Rostranor »

Spell effect doesnt specify only HP damage so I would go with that the spell is effective. In your first instance just change the extra effect to say, just before spell is completed.

Return to “Rules discussion”