Halflings and luck

For DCC RPG rules discussion. Includes rules questions and ideas, new rules suggestions, homebrews and hacks, conversions to other systems, and everything else rules-related.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

albcann
Ill-Fated Peasant

Halflings and luck

Post by albcann »

Guys,

New to DCC but not new to RPGs having played D and D in the glory days in the 70s and 80s. I have a question about Halflings and luck. On page 60 of the rule book, the third paragraph under "Good Luck Charm" says that a halfling can burn Luck to help allies. Then, a couple of sentences later it says, "The halfling's Luck modifier can apply to any roll made by an ally: ..." Are these two separate benefits? Does this mean that the Luck Modifier can be used at any time for an ally and that is a separate from the Halfling's ability to burn Luck for allies? For instance, can a Halfling burn a Luck point to add +2 to a spell check of a Wizard AND without burning Luck also throw his/her +2 modifier (Luck score is 16 in this case) on an attack roll for a fighter?

I hope the question is clear.

Albcann
MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Re: Halflings and luck

Post by MrHemlocks »

WOW! I never noticed that. So I guess the halfling can do both...least according to the rules.
maxinstuff
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by maxinstuff »

I believe it is referring to the modifier that results from burning luck - not to the halflings base modifier.

Think about it - after burning a few points of luck his lowered modifier would start to NEGATIVELY affect everybodies rolls.

I'm sure this is not the intention.
albcann
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by albcann »

That's what I thought but it is not what it says - the word "modifier" is problematic in this case. Actually what you say can support my interpretation of the rule because now the halfling player must think twice about burning Luck points because, in doing so, he/she affects ability to throw the luck modifier around to help the party.

Albcann
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

Okay, yes, the word 'modifier' is problematic in it's usage there.

But if it was an additional ability, I think it would have been called out more. Since it's tossed in at the end of the paragraph, I think it's still talking about the subject of the paragraph, namely burning luck to add to another player's rolls. It's a modifier, not The Modifier.
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
Eyeball360
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Eyeball360 »

As I've always said: If there are two ways to interpret the way something is written, and one makes more sense than the other, it was probably meant to mean that way. :wink:
Skyscraper
Steely-Eyed Heathen-Slayer

Post by Skyscraper »

GnomeBoy wrote:Okay, yes, the word 'modifier' is problematic in it's usage there.

But if it was an additional ability, I think it would have been called out more. Since it's tossed in at the end of the paragraph, I think it's still talking about the subject of the paragraph, namely burning luck to add to another player's rolls. It's a modifier, not The Modifier.
This is also my understanding.
Maledict Brothbreath, level 4 warrior, STR 16 (+2) AGI 7 (-1) STA 12 PER 9 INT 10 LUCK 15 (+1), AC: 16 Refl: +1 Fort: +2 Will: +1; lawful; Armor of the Lion and Lily's Blade.

Brother Sufferus, level 4 cleric, STR 13 (+1) AGI 15 (+1) STA 11 PER 13 (+1) INT 10 LUCK 9, AC: 11 (13 if wounded, 15 if down to half hit points), Refl: +3 Fort: +2 Will: +3, chaotic, Robe of the Faith, Scourge of the Maimed One, Darts of Pain.
themightyeroc
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by themightyeroc »

maxinstuff wrote:I believe it is referring to the modifier that results from burning luck - not to the halflings base modifier.

I agree with maxinstuff, I never thought of it being used any other way. But, you could try it and see what happens!
Ah well, who wants to live forever? DIE!
worldoferoc.blogspot.com
albcann
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by albcann »

Yes -- I've been swayed by the popular sentiment. The paragraph flows if it is understood that the word "modifier" refers to the luck burn. If it was intended that addition of the modifier were to be used in addition to burning of the luck, there would been an "Also" or a "Furthermore" thrown in.

Thanks for the clarification everyone!

Albcann
Skars
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Skars »

Could this be in reference to the "Luck modifier" each character receives due to his birth augur during character creation? So other characters in the party can make use of the halflings augur as well as his burning luck ability. That's the way I interpreted it, at least. :)
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

Skars wrote:Could this be in reference to the "Luck modifier" each character receives due to his birth augur during character creation? So other characters in the party can make use of the halflings augur as well as his burning luck ability. That's the way I interpreted it, at least. :)
Whoa. :shock:

Can of worms. Opener. Wow.

But they are organic, so it's all good.

If that's not a rule, it so should be.
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
Skyscraper
Steely-Eyed Heathen-Slayer

Post by Skyscraper »

I thought it might refer to the player's luck modifier. Because, we all have one of course. We just didn't get to consult our Real Person Sheet yet.
Maledict Brothbreath, level 4 warrior, STR 16 (+2) AGI 7 (-1) STA 12 PER 9 INT 10 LUCK 15 (+1), AC: 16 Refl: +1 Fort: +2 Will: +1; lawful; Armor of the Lion and Lily's Blade.

Brother Sufferus, level 4 cleric, STR 13 (+1) AGI 15 (+1) STA 11 PER 13 (+1) INT 10 LUCK 9, AC: 11 (13 if wounded, 15 if down to half hit points), Refl: +3 Fort: +2 Will: +3, chaotic, Robe of the Faith, Scourge of the Maimed One, Darts of Pain.

Return to “Rules discussion”