clarification on Mighty Deeds of Arms

For DCC RPG rules discussion. Includes rules questions and ideas, new rules suggestions, homebrews and hacks, conversions to other systems, and everything else rules-related.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Rythwold
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Re: clarification on Mighty Deeds of Arms

Post by Rythwold »

My group came across the very question in our latest game - what if the action dice + deed dice scores a hit but the deed dice is a low roll. Why wouldn't you always call a mighty deed of arms?

Here's my 2 cents (2p!). I'm happy with there not being a drawback to calling a mighty deed of arms - I intend to play as set out in the rules. My problem was not how this played out, I thing its an excellent mechanic. However, I think it may need clarification in next published run, because we were scratching out head a bit at the table as to whether or not we were playing it correctly by the book.
Ravenheart87
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ravenheart87 »

Rythwold wrote:My group came across the very question in our latest game - what if the action dice + deed dice scores a hit but the deed dice is a low roll.
Then it's just a hit. Roll damage as usual, nothing extra happens.
Vorpal Mace: a humble rpg blog with some DCC-related stuff.
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

Rythwold wrote:Why wouldn't you always call a mighty deed of arms?
There's no reason to not try a Deed with every attack -- unless it doesn't fit the style of your campaign.

You could rule that a Deed the winds up with a 1 on the d20 part of the roll is going to fail -- and have bad consequences for the Warrior...
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
fanditch
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by fanditch »

Always remember that THE JUDGE HAS THE FINAL SAY. This should keep any warrior or dwarf from using the same trick (as a MDoA) in the same combat too often. To use an example already mentioned, a warrior should be allowed to use a successful MDoA to blind an opponent by tossing dirt in his eyes, but should the warrior attempt to use it again in the same combat against the same opponent, the opponent would likely not fall for it a second time. This is not a simple mechanic; it is tempered and made even more awesome by the creativity of the players and the Judge.
Monster
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Monster »

I think the flavor of the game encourages Dwarves/Warriors to use a mighty deed as often as they like. That is the real meaty part of those classes. The same goes for Wizards/Elves casting as often as called for and Clerics laying on hands or casting.

The mighty deed is the one opening every combat round when the Warrior can get in his real shot at his enemy.

I encourage the use of MDOA every round if possible.
To that creature, you are the monsters hunting it!
Noun mon·ster/mɒnstər/Show Spell[mon-ster]
1. a legendary animal combining features of animal and human form or having the forms of various animals in combination, as a centaur, griffin, or sphinx.
2. any creature so ugly or monstrous as to frighten people.
3. any animal or human grotesquely deviating from the normal shape, behavior, or character.
4. a person who excites horror by wickedness, cruelty, etc.
5. any animal or thing huge in size.
6. any small, unattended children running free
Gameogre
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Gameogre »

I rethought my house rule for Mighty Deeds and removed the AC penalty.

The key to by rethinking was this.

In my games if you want to use a Mighty Deed the starting number you need to roll on a Deed die is 3.

Say for instance you wanted to Strike two ape men instead of just one? A 3 would be necessary.

But if that same warrior wanted to strike three ape men while bounding over them towards the evil wizard in the back he needed to roll a 7 or higher on his Deed Die.
Skyscraper
Steely-Eyed Heathen-Slayer

Post by Skyscraper »

Gameogre wrote:I rethought my house rule for Mighty Deeds and removed the AC penalty.

The key to by rethinking was this.

In my games if you want to use a Mighty Deed the starting number you need to roll on a Deed die is 3.

Say for instance you wanted to Strike two ape men instead of just one? A 3 would be necessary.

But if that same warrior wanted to strike three ape men while bounding over them towards the evil wizard in the back he needed to roll a 7 or higher on his Deed Die.
Sounds good to me.

What I take away from this, is that I'd rather not be the evil wizard encountering a 7-deeder.
Maledict Brothbreath, level 4 warrior, STR 16 (+2) AGI 7 (-1) STA 12 PER 9 INT 10 LUCK 15 (+1), AC: 16 Refl: +1 Fort: +2 Will: +1; lawful; Armor of the Lion and Lily's Blade.

Brother Sufferus, level 4 cleric, STR 13 (+1) AGI 15 (+1) STA 11 PER 13 (+1) INT 10 LUCK 9, AC: 11 (13 if wounded, 15 if down to half hit points), Refl: +3 Fort: +2 Will: +3, chaotic, Robe of the Faith, Scourge of the Maimed One, Darts of Pain.

Return to “Rules discussion”