Are Warriors not to use scrolls?

For DCC RPG rules discussion. Includes rules questions and ideas, new rules suggestions, homebrews and hacks, conversions to other systems, and everything else rules-related.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

dark cauliflower
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Are Warriors not to use scrolls?

Post by dark cauliflower »

guyz,

I believe I've read that Warriors, Halflings and Dwarfs do get to try to use scrolls. But they get to roll a 10 sided die without any bonuses to see if they make their spell check. But the problem seems to be that spell checks generally succeed if at a minimum of 10 + (spell level x 2)! Does not failure seem baked in the cake? Is this a secret joke of evilman games they unleashed on us?

What am I missing?
Dark Cauliflower

--from deep night comes the cruciferiouz king!
TheNobleDrake
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Re: Are Warriors not to use scrolls?

Post by TheNobleDrake »

Those classes still get to add their appropriate ability modifier to the roll, as it is still a spell check - that means anyone with a +2 modifier or better has a chance of casting the spell from the scroll.

Then, you have luck burn which can be used to enhance the character's chances.

Last, but certainly not least, are some details from the write magic spell: a scroll might have a modifier to the spell check of anyone using (meaning a bonus to their d10 roll), or the scroll might be scribed such that anyone able to read it at all automatically gets a specific result (meaning the d10 they are able to roll grants them auto-success at using those type of scrolls).
dark cauliflower
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

I swear I've read something different but I can only find stuff on it on page 373 at this time. Maybe tommorow I'll find the section that utterly confused me. :lol:
Dark Cauliflower

dark cauliflower
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

I found the other page. It's page 106 under the section "Spell checks by other classes". It says: "A character from an untrained class rolls 1d10 for his spell check instead of a 1d20. He does not add any modifier for an ability score or caster level. A Trained thief may roll a higher die, as shown on Table 1-7 Thief."

From reading this burning Luck seems like the only answer to me for Mr. Warrior or Mr. Dwarf.
Dark Cauliflower

dark cauliflower
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

yeah, I went over the write magic spell and the scroll creation process in the magic items section. In both cases it seems that scrolls that have bonuses or are automatic are a rare occurance. In write magic, its the last 2 entries in the spell check list. And were talking about mid to upper level 30s spell checks. The magic items creation has these too but their rare as well.

I have to go over the spells again but a +2 bonus to a 10 sided die doesn't look to good. That might work if you have a first level spell and hit that 10% chance of getting a 10.

The best option, maybe the only real viable one, is the scrolls that have predetermined spell checks.

I guess it looks like Warriors and Dwarfs are able to use scrolls but only on a rare occasion. Is that how your interpreting it as well?
Dark Cauliflower

Return to “Rules discussion”