0 Level Action Die

For DCC RPG rules discussion. Includes rules questions and ideas, new rules suggestions, homebrews and hacks, conversions to other systems, and everything else rules-related.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

jodown
Far-Sighted Wanderer

0 Level Action Die

Post by jodown »

Hi,

Somebody just told me that at 0 level all characters should be using a d10 action die to attack. I thought it was a d20 action die at 0 level. Anyone know which it is? I do not see anywhere in the book that says that it should be a d10.

Thanks!
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Re: 0 Level Action Die

Post by Raven_Crowking »

d20 is correct.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
SavageRobby
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by SavageRobby »

In fact, IIRC somewhere in the book in mentions that 0 levels _should_ use a lower die, but during playtests it was hard enough at 0 level that a d20 was used for playability. Maybe I read that here, I dunno.
jodown
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by jodown »

Thanks, guys!

Yeah, this kid said you roll a d10 and on a 10 you roll another d10. Sounded to me like he might be playing beta rules, but I've never seen them. It seemed crazy to me that the first thing you'd fight in a 0 level module you'd have an 8% hit chance. Seems like everyone's going down with chances like that.

It mentions that on page 24 of the rulebook, "(Not to mention that in playtests, applying the attack penalty increases the 0-level death rate to absurd proportions.)" It doesn't say what the rules used to be, but they do sound nasty!

Thanks again. Have a Happy Thanksgiving!
TheNobleDrake
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by TheNobleDrake »

The rule being mentioned there is the -1 die size for wielding a weapon you are not proficient with (better known as the "welcome to 0-level, you roll a d16 for all of your attacks" rule). Use of which resulted in a lot (more) 0-level characters dropping dead per 0-level encounter...

turning a funnel dungeon into a funnel room, all the times I tested that rule.
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

Correct. As suggested by TheNobleDrake, weapon proficiency rules do not apply to 0-level characters. Some argue that this defies logic, but it works well for game design reasons because survival at 0-level is hard enough without throwing in additional dice disadvantages.
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman

Return to “Rules discussion”