A few abbreviation confirmations.

For DCC RPG rules discussion. Includes rules questions and ideas, new rules suggestions, homebrews and hacks, conversions to other systems, and everything else rules-related.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Merl
Far-Sighted Wanderer

A few abbreviation confirmations.

Post by Merl »

Much as I love the vibe and playability of DCC RPG, the more we play, the more we’re finding the rulebook to be full of undefined terms and assumed knowledge of abbreviations. We’ve used common sense to decipher the majority of them (threat range etc) , but there are a few I’d like confirmation for, if anybody can help. Apologies if any are standard things from later versions of D&D - I’ve not played those, and assumed they weren’t required pre-reading.

Init - Is this initiative modifier, not Initiative value?

SV - Likewise, does this signify saving throw modifier, not the actual saving throw value?

SP - Appears to signify an extra attack of some sort for various monsters, but what is it an abbreviation for?

MV - Seems to be an abbreviation for Movement, but movement rate in this game is called Speed, so is this something else, or just an error?

Slam - some monsters have this noted for their Attack. What is it? Are there rules for it, or is it just descriptive of the way they attack?

Will save - In the morale section, the rules says:”The morale check is made by rolling 1d20 and adding the creature’s Will save.” In this instance does Will Save mean add the Willpower Saving Throw modifier (e.g. +2), or does it mean add the results of a Willpower Saving Throw (e.g. rolled a 13, added +2 modifier for a total of 15)?
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Re: A few abbreviation confirmations.

Post by GnomeBoy »

I think you're right on all of these, although your breakdown on Init and SV has me confused as to what you mean -- in each case, you take the bonus for the thing and add it to a d20 roll to get a total result, i.e., a character's initiative, or their Fortitude Save, etc.

SP is just anything 'Special' about the creature... special attacks, special defenses, etc.

Slam means that creature just bashes at you with its appendages, not with weapons, per se.

And for the Morale, I'm sure it should have said 'Will save bonus', i.e., the bonus that creature/character gets when rolling a d20 for a Will Save (not make a Will Save and add another d20 roll on top).
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
Colin

Post by Colin »

Init: Yes, it's the modifier.
SV: Yes, it's the modifier.
SP: "Special" e.g. powers, abilities, etc.
"Slam" and other words are just descriptors, not rules.
MV (Move) is their speed, yes. Probably easier to abbreviate it MV than SP or SPD (which could cause confusion with SP: Special).
For the Will Save yes, it means just adding the saving throw modifier.

Colin
Merl
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Merl »

Excellent - thanks chaps.

Return to “Rules discussion”