Goodman Games

Fan Forums
It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:33 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Traps without a thief
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:02 am 
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Hello All,

I have a party of 6 pc's and 2 0 level's but none of them are thieves. I am wondering how others of the community handle traps? Obviously removing them is only for a thief but I mean in regards to detecting traps. I'm tempted to give players a DC and a roll modified by luck but I was curious if others had different ideas of how to handle this.

That or a "well have fun without a thief" you can't detect them at all scenario. I'm somewhat up in the air on the subject.

Post subject: Re: Traps without a thief
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:07 am 
Cold-Hearted Immortal

AQuebman wrote:
Hello All,

I have a party of 6 pc's and 2 0 level's but none of them are thieves. I am wondering how others of the community handle traps? Obviously removing them is only for a thief but I mean in regards to detecting traps. I'm tempted to give players a DC and a roll modified by luck but I was curious if others had different ideas of how to handle this.

That or a "well have fun without a thief" you can't detect them at all scenario. I'm somewhat up in the air on the subject.

Look at the character's occupation, then allow either 1d10 or 1d20, depending, to detect a trap. Also, if the player describes the character doing something that would detect/safely trigger the trap (prodding with a 10' pole, for example), then so be it. Trap detected/triggered, no roll required. Old-school D&D had a chance of triggering a pit this way, so you might give it a 1 in 6 or a 1 in 3 chance of doing so, roll, and then adjudicate.

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:06 am 
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Raven_Crowking wrote:
AQuebman wrote:
Hello All,

Look at the character's occupation, then allow either 1d10 or 1d20, depending, to detect a trap. Also, if the player describes the character doing something that would detect/safely trigger the trap (prodding with a 10' pole, for example), then so be it. Trap detected/triggered, no roll required. Old-school D&D had a chance of triggering a pit this way, so you might give it a 1 in 6 or a 1 in 3 chance of doing so, roll, and then adjudicate.

Yeah a party of blind guys would be the best trap finders ever. Just smack the triggers as they move. :lol: I forgot about the 1d10 untrained roll so that pretty much answers all I need. Maybe the 4 intelligence idio... errr Dwarf rat catcher can notice traps lol

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:31 am 
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Remember that the Dice Chain is your friend.

Can't decide if that rat catcher should get a d10 or a d20? Give him a d12, a d14, or a d16!

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.