NPCs and class abilities question

For DCC RPG rules discussion. Includes rules questions and ideas, new rules suggestions, homebrews and hacks, conversions to other systems, and everything else rules-related.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

cthulhudarren
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

NPCs and class abilities question

Post by cthulhudarren »

Is it RAW to have NPC wizards burn luck on spellchecks, NPC thieves to backstab and use their special luck ability, NPC warriors to do mighty deeds?
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Re: NPCs and class abilities question

Post by GnomeBoy »

Depends. Are there such things in your campaign?

Arguably, page 432 says no. For all but the most powerful opponents, I would agree with page 432. For example, NPC magic users get a few spells with perhaps multiple uses. Myself, I might even go so far as to predetermine the result of their spell check as a fixed number.

My preference would be to avoid NPC Wizards, Thieves and Warriors, in favor of magic users, rogues and fighters. Leave the player characters their uniqueness.
Last edited by GnomeBoy on Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

It is RAW that your NPCs can do whatever you designed them to be able to do.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
Colin

Post by Colin »

Yep, "Do what thou wilt." is the approach you need to take, though yeah, if you look at the big selection of NPCs on pages 432-434, you'll see examples of how NPCs wizards et al. are statted up, and you'd note:
DCC RPG wrote:As noted previously, “monsters break the rules”—and that applies to men as well. When sending your players to face a magician or warrior, you need not spend the time to create a complicated leveled-up player character according to the class rules. Make it fast and make it interesting!
ragboy
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by ragboy »

Fast is the key. Keep in mind that the NPCs, like monsters, are generally designed to be killed in 2d4 rounds. So, don't spend hours lovingly crafting one -- because that's the one that will get critted in a surprise attack and be dead before the initiative dice stop rolling.
AKA Paul Wolfe
The Mystic Bull: Check out our two FREE prehistoric adventures: The Steading of the Nergalites AND The Tribe of Ogg and the Gift of Suss
In the Prison of the Squid Sorcerer (PDF) and softcover: 12 Short Adventures for DCC!
The God-Seed Awakens: 3rd Level Adventure for DCC. New patron, new spells, lots of new monsters and the living weapons of the Empire of Thal!
My Gamer Profile
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

ragboy wrote:Fast is the key. Keep in mind that the NPCs, like monsters, are generally designed to be killed in 2d4 rounds. So, don't spend hours lovingly crafting one -- because that's the one that will get critted in a surprise attack and be dead before the initiative dice stop rolling.
That's good advice generally, but I would instead say, "Don't do so much that it is a chore. If you want to craft an NPC, craft that NPC. If not, not. It's all good." DCC is not like 3.x; i.e., you cannot get the stats "wrong".....the major homework factor has been removed. But, for special NPCs, do whatever feels right. Remember the goal is that for every minute you spend in prep, you need to get a minimum of 2 minutes play value. More is preferable.

The Purple Sorcerer generators can create higher level characters for you, BTW, which you then merely tweak to turn them into exactly what you want.

The "big names" in Shanthopal will be fully realized, but not fully compliant with the DCC character creation rules. This is fine; I expect mid-to-high-level PCs to diverge from the base rules quite a bit as well! :mrgreen:
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
cthulhudarren
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by cthulhudarren »

Raven_Crowking wrote: The "big names" in Shanthopal will be fully realized, but not fully compliant with the DCC character creation rules.
Don't be a tease and decide not to go through with that project!
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

cthulhudarren wrote:
Raven_Crowking wrote: The "big names" in Shanthopal will be fully realized, but not fully compliant with the DCC character creation rules.
Don't be a tease and decide not to go through with that project!
Well, it is going to be the focal point of my home campaign milieu, so I have to work on it!

After deciding how large the city was, I used the DCC core book to determine how many "classed" characters (NPCs) there should be, and then determined their class and level. I used a percentage system based on how frequently I wanted each class to represented on average, but then let the dice dictate each specific character above the level 3 threshold, so as to surprise me.

So, yes, while I am putting more effort right now into other projects, Shanthopal is still very much in my sights!
SoBH pbp:

ragboy
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by ragboy »

Raven_Crowking wrote:
After deciding how large the city was, I used the DCC core book to determine how many "classed" characters (NPCs) there should be, and then determined their class and level. I used a percentage system based on how frequently I wanted each class to represented on average, but then let the dice dictate each specific character above the level 3 threshold, so as to surprise me.
Hey -- I have a Tablesmith generator that I built that you may want to see....or anyone -- PM me if you want it.

I do a "short hand" for any non-critical settlement that basically generates the settlement (village, town, or city) and give me an outline of the settlement in html format. Each size of settlement has a different percentage to have anything other than the basics -- so for instance, there's a 1% chance of a military installation in a village, but higher chance in a town and city, etc. Same with Equipment/Weapons/Armor/Commodities, Henchmen and Hirelings, etc.
  • Settlement name
  • Settlement Leader's name and if he has any rumors
  • Population
  • Wealth and Security factor (which I'm not really using yet)
  • Marketplace -- Food, Rumors, Recruits, Henchmen (NPCs), Equipment/Weapons/Armor available, Commodities (crazy table), Medical Services (not using yet) and Special Equipment (not using yet)
  • Lodging -- Name, Rumors, Cost, Hirelings, Henchmen,
  • Military -- Commander+Rumors, Security/Wealth, Alignment (Regional, Religious, etc), Garrison size, and then services (much like the greater town), Henchmen and Hirelings,
  • Guild -- Much like the larger town -- Guild Official+Rumors, Services, Recruits/Henchmen
  • Temple(s) - High Priest+Rumors, Followers, Ceremonies, Priests, size, etc (based on Wilderlands generator)
May be useful, maybe not -- it's been useful for me and I'm happy to share. The scripts for Tablesmith are super easy to modify for your own campaign.
AKA Paul Wolfe
The Mystic Bull: Check out our two FREE prehistoric adventures: The Steading of the Nergalites AND The Tribe of Ogg and the Gift of Suss
In the Prison of the Squid Sorcerer (PDF) and softcover: 12 Short Adventures for DCC!
The God-Seed Awakens: 3rd Level Adventure for DCC. New patron, new spells, lots of new monsters and the living weapons of the Empire of Thal!
My Gamer Profile
Pesky
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Pesky »

Raven_Crowking wrote:Remember the goal is that for every minute you spend in prep, you need to get a minimum of 2 minutes play value. More is preferable.
+2d!
Terry Olson
AQuebman
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by AQuebman »

ragboy I would love to check out that little town generator. My PM's aren't working I think it might be since I just signed up onto the forums.

Return to “Rules discussion”