Do Charm Spells Work on Undead or No?

For DCC RPG rules discussion. Includes rules questions and ideas, new rules suggestions, homebrews and hacks, conversions to other systems, and everything else rules-related.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Laika
Ill-Fated Peasant

Do Charm Spells Work on Undead or No?

Post by Laika »

A slight inconsistency in the rulebook:

On P.431 in the Zombie monster entry it clearly states: As un-dead, they are immune to sleep, charm, and paralysis spells ...

But on P.131 in the Charm spell description it says: Wizards can attempt this spell on monsters and un-dead with a -2 check penalty ...

How do you read this and which way do you go in your game? I wanted to stick with undead are *immune* to charm spells, but the wizard in question felt pretty hosed when he rolled a high spell check and I responded that the zombies did not react at all. He showed me the spell description and said that's why he chose to cast the spell. We wondered if maybe it's not really an inconsistency and that maybe it's more for undead with minds (vampire, lich) although good luck on those 2 right? Also the fact that all of the undead in the rulebook are pretty mindless makes me think that's not really what was intended. So would this be house rule territory? If so, like I said, what do you guys and gals do about this?

[Sorry for the edit, but when I reviewed my post, it did seem a little sparse. First post and all.]
CocoaRobbins
Ill-Fated Peasant

Re: Do Charm Spells Work on Undead or No?

Post by CocoaRobbins »

In my game, yeah, it would only work on an intelligent undead. The reason it doesn't work on zombies is they are brainless, much like skeletons. Somewhere there's probably an undead that could be affected but it'll most likely make its save, so all in all I'd say this probably won't come up much. Remember though, its just a level one spell, level one wizards don't stand up to vampires well.
cthulhudarren
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by cthulhudarren »

CocoaRobbins wrote:In my game, yeah, it would only work on an intelligent undead. The reason it doesn't work on zombies is they are brainless, much like skeletons. Somewhere there's probably an undead that could be affected but it'll most likely make its save, so all in all I'd say this probably won't come up much. Remember though, its just a level one spell, level one wizards don't stand up to vampires well.
I agree with this.
beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

I dunno. Even a crappy wizard could spellburn / burn Luck like a crazy person on a charm attempt on a vampire... even if a vamp has a high bonus, can he realisitcally make a DC 29 save? Probably not.
CocoaRobbins
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by CocoaRobbins »

Yeah, guess I did forget about spell burn, recently saw what happens when you get a 31 on growth spell and you're outdoors. Spell burn can defeat anything, once every two weeks.
Last edited by CocoaRobbins on Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cthulhudarren
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by cthulhudarren »

So I don't remember for sure but I don't think vampires are in the book, so YOU decide.
bitflipr
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by bitflipr »

I would tend to make undead immune to charm spells in most normal circumstances. However, if a particular wizard was leaning towards necromancy ways, perhaps they could quest or make a deal in order to have their charm spell (and why not paralysis and sleep also?) affect the undead.
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

Dead horse & whip: Keep the players guessing; no blanket commonality among monsters (not even a horse blanket). I could repeat this until I'm hoarse, blanket.

Some may be undead. Some may be un-dead. Some may be ...other. No unifying rules! No categorical understanding! Endless sausages! Unlimited bread pudding!

I know, I know; my theories appall you, and you don't like my tie.

But bow ties are cool.
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
ragboy
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by ragboy »

GnomeBoy wrote: Some may be undead. Some may be un-dead. Some may be ...other. No unifying rules! No categorical understanding! Endless sausages! Unlimited bread pudding!
Hear! Hear! Maybe the conventional wisdom is that "undead" are immune to such things -- "science" is wrong all the time. Rigfil the cup boy to Master Theron stumbles upon an "Enthralling Formulae" that not only seems to control the dead, it raises them from their graves! His master's crypt is now literally crawling with bodies and parts of bodies all under the control of their new master... Rigfil the Dread Lord Cup Boy!

Or whatever.

Point is that conventions and magic don't mix.
AKA Paul Wolfe
The Mystic Bull: Check out our two FREE prehistoric adventures: The Steading of the Nergalites AND The Tribe of Ogg and the Gift of Suss
In the Prison of the Squid Sorcerer (PDF) and softcover: 12 Short Adventures for DCC!
The God-Seed Awakens: 3rd Level Adventure for DCC. New patron, new spells, lots of new monsters and the living weapons of the Empire of Thal!
My Gamer Profile
bill4935
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by bill4935 »

ragboy wrote: Point is that conventions and magic don't mix.
While I agree with you for the most part (I went to one once, and the smell of all those players overwhelmed the hall's AC) it's not fair to single them out. Wargamers and roleplayers are just as unappealing en masse.

/That reminds me, I'd better go shower today.
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

My knee-jerk reaction would be to not allow un-dead to be affected by Charm but if a player really wants to try hard enough and makes an awesome roll I would at least consider bending the rule.

I hate to rule that things can't happen ... only that they aren't likely to happen.
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman

Return to “Rules discussion”