Deed Die rolls

For DCC RPG rules discussion. Includes rules questions and ideas, new rules suggestions, homebrews and hacks, conversions to other systems, and everything else rules-related.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Rostranor
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Re: Deed Die rolls

Post by Rostranor »

So typo or not a typo?
Pesky
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Pesky »

Rostranor wrote:So typo or not a typo?
That is the question. :lol: You may have to make that call yourself...
Terry Olson
nebulous
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by nebulous »

GnomeBoy wrote:
nebulous wrote:does the bonus to hit and damage also apply to the Deed? So it's not like a trade off thing? Sacrifice the known bonus to hit and damage for MAYBE a heroic action?
This is a common misconstrual of the rules for Deed. The Deed Die adds to the attack, adds to the damage, and tells you if a Deed was successful -- all at the same time.
that's what i thought, i just wanted to make sure.
CapnZapp
Hard-Bitten Adventurer
FLGS: Book

Post by CapnZapp »

Rostranor wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:07 pm ok, so has anyone scared up the thread by Mr. Goodman where he talks about this and clearly states one deed per round?
Upthread someone referenced a post by Mr Goodman, but that was on the topic of "does 1d10+2 means all Deeds succeed since you always roll at least 3": https://www.goodman-games.com/forums/vi ... 429#p69429

Nobody except you have talked about a limit of one deed per round.
Opti
Gongfarmer

Post by Opti »

So after 10 years there is still no official input on the original questions of this thread?

One deed die roll per round or per attack?

One Mighty Deed per round or per attack?
Last edited by Opti on Thu Jun 09, 2022 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

One Deed per attack, rerolled for each attack.
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
CapnZapp
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by CapnZapp »

As I understand it, there is rough consensus around the following:
1) declare your Deed
2) roll your Deed Die
3) You keep the same deed result throughout the round, no rerolling

https://www.reddit.com/r/dccrpg/comment ... deed_dice/

What that means if you look at GnomeBoy's answer is: No, there is still no official input or clarification, even after 10 years. :-/
herecomethejudge
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by herecomethejudge »

CapnZapp wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 4:46 am What that means if you look at GnomeBoy's answer is: No, there is still no official input or clarification, even after 10 years. :-/
IDK what your aggro tone is about, but it's weird. OP was about the playtest rules before DCC RPG was even finished, and it indeed has since been clarified.

The deed die is just a variable attack (and damage) modifier. While most classes get a fixed attack bonus, the Warrior and Dwarf classes get a variable one, a smaller die that is rolled along with the main attack d20 as a bonus. Super simple.

In the rulebook I have (4th print), it reads on p. 42: "The warrior rolls the d3 on each attack roll and applies it to both his attack roll and his damage roll." Seems clear.

Regarding the Mighty Deeds, it reads, "Prior to any attack roll, a warrior can declare a Mighty Deed of Arms. This Deed is a dramatic combat maneuver within the scope of the current combat." Since it's for *any* attack roll, yes, upper-level Warriors can do multiple Deeds per round if they have more than one attack. This makes sense as level-5 Warriors are rare species and would be capable of such feats, though remember that attack #2 at that level is rolled with a d14, so the odds of success aren't as great as the main attack.
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

CapnZapp wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 4:46 am 3) You keep the same deed result throughout the round, no rerolling
Correct, if what you mean is "keep the same number for the attack bonus, the damage boost, and for determining if the Deed is successful."

If you get two attacks per round, you re-roll the die. There is no ability to predict outcomes, as in "hey! I know this second Deed will probably work, since I have a 4!"
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
CapnZapp
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by CapnZapp »

Sure - if you're so high level you get to do two things, your two Deeds could succeed or fail or both.

Moving on. The rules stay silent on what happens when you for some reason get to do extra attacks.

Personally, I don't allow warriors to do Deeds then. An extra attack because you caused a critical, or an extra attack because an enemy withdraws from melee, happen so quickly that as I see it, there's no time to set up a Deed. The Deed die itself remains operational, that is, you still add it to attack rolls and damage.

If you do rule the Deed die is applicable, the question arises which die would that be. I would say one thing is clear - you don't roll a new Deed die. This leaves only one candidate rule: you leave the Deed die on the table until you take a new action (when you roll it anew).

PS. All of this is because the rules thought you would save time and brain power by not re-rolling the deed die along with the regular attack die. If you think it's actually easier to simply always roll a Deed die along with your attack die, and then apply it to that attack's damage only, you should probably do that instead. What I mean by this is: it's not that rerolling the Deed die makes the class overpowered. The only reason the rules contain these confusing and conflicting sentences is because someone - in good-faith, mind you - went "let's save the player some rolling by telling him we keep the deed die and don't reroll it".

Return to “Rules discussion”