Spell results: taking lower result possible?

For DCC RPG rules discussion. Includes rules questions and ideas, new rules suggestions, homebrews and hacks, conversions to other systems, and everything else rules-related.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Skyscraper
Steely-Eyed Heathen-Slayer

Spell results: taking lower result possible?

Post by Skyscraper »

Hi,

Yet another question, and I take this opportunity to thank all those that take the time to answer this and my previous questions. I do try to find answers in the book first, just so you know.

So, on with the question:

Is it possible for the caster to choose a lower result than the one he achieves on a spell result list, if he so wishes?

I'm looking for example at the Invoke Patron spell check results for Sezrekan. Those results are all over the place, so to speak, from the caster teleporting 100 miles away (who would want that except in a very exceptional situation?) to the caster regaining a previously lost spell to the caster obtaining a bonus to a spell check. As the caster, I would probably want for one of those to occur, but not any of those - especially the teleporting 100 miles away one.

This is for Sezrekan only, most spells have a relatively stable progression and you can anticipate the results, it's more a question of power. But it's not the only spell where i was thinking, "hmm, as a caster, I'd probably prefer getting the lower result more ofen than the higher one" when comparing a pair of results in a spell result table.
Maledict Brothbreath, level 4 warrior, STR 16 (+2) AGI 7 (-1) STA 12 PER 9 INT 10 LUCK 15 (+1), AC: 16 Refl: +1 Fort: +2 Will: +1; lawful; Armor of the Lion and Lily's Blade.

Brother Sufferus, level 4 cleric, STR 13 (+1) AGI 15 (+1) STA 11 PER 13 (+1) INT 10 LUCK 9, AC: 11 (13 if wounded, 15 if down to half hit points), Refl: +3 Fort: +2 Will: +3, chaotic, Robe of the Faith, Scourge of the Maimed One, Darts of Pain.
bitflipr
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Re: Spell results: taking lower result possible?

Post by bitflipr »

I'm guessing no, since some spells explicitly mention that you can take a lower result. It would seem unusual if it was allowed yet only certain spells pointed this out. This may account for the random/unexpected nature of magic.
Skyscraper
Steely-Eyed Heathen-Slayer

Post by Skyscraper »

bitflipr wrote:I'm guessing no, since some spells explicitly mention that you can take a lower result. It would seem unusual if it was allowed yet only certain spells pointed this out. This may account for the random/unexpected nature of magic.
Yeah, I noticed that some spells specifically mention that you may.

We'll play out the randomness then :)

Thanks,

Sky

p.s.: have people houseruled otherwise, out of curiosity?
Maledict Brothbreath, level 4 warrior, STR 16 (+2) AGI 7 (-1) STA 12 PER 9 INT 10 LUCK 15 (+1), AC: 16 Refl: +1 Fort: +2 Will: +1; lawful; Armor of the Lion and Lily's Blade.

Brother Sufferus, level 4 cleric, STR 13 (+1) AGI 15 (+1) STA 11 PER 13 (+1) INT 10 LUCK 9, AC: 11 (13 if wounded, 15 if down to half hit points), Refl: +3 Fort: +2 Will: +3, chaotic, Robe of the Faith, Scourge of the Maimed One, Darts of Pain.
Pesky
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Pesky »

Skyscraper wrote:p.s.: have people houseruled otherwise, out of curiosity?
I have not; I've stuck with only allowing a lower result if the spell specifically allows it.
Terry Olson
Vanguard
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Vanguard »

No houserules on my end for this. There is a mercurial affect that allows the spellcaster to take any lower results. Maybe offer that to one spell of the players choice?
My Gaming Blog: The Earthlight Academy
http://earthlightacademy.blogspot.com/
thistledownjohn
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by thistledownjohn »

I have been using a house rule for this. I allow the caster to modify the spell roll downward by a factor of his level + his Intelligence mod + his Luck mod. I was thinking that it allowed for the chaotic magical force to come into existence as the spell is cast, but the caster could exert a bit of constraint on it's flow, causing a lesser effect.
Laika
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Laika »

I would stick with the randomness except in the case where it specifically mentions you can take a lower result. Kinda like Sezrekan saying, "How dare you interrupt my research?" BOOM - Teleport 100 miles away. "There that ought to solve your problem for you!" It alos reminds me of Shmendrik, the wizard in The Last Unicorn (hey does anyone ever mention that one in Appendix N discussions?) desperately chanting "Magic, do as you will!"

Return to “Rules discussion”