Goodman Games

Fan Forums
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:29 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Stamina and HP
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:22 am 
Ill-Fated Peasant

Does Stamina add to HP after level 0?

Also, other than Fortitude saves, what is it used for?

Post subject: Re: Stamina and HP
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:10 pm 
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Yes, it adds to HP after 1st level. There are many other applications of Stamina besides Fort saves: if your Stamina is especially low ( less than or equal to 5) then you take double damage from poisons and disease; you can make a Stamina check (roll a d20 and get your ability score or lower) to check on endurance for a particular task; the damage that some creatures do to you is based on your stamina, etc. As a judge, you can make stamina as important to the players as you want it to be...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:15 pm 
Ill-Fated Peasant

Ok, thanks. I would probably have kept it regardless. So the way it goes is:
level 0: + Sta HP
Level 1: no Sta HP (cause that would be double dipping)
Level 2, 3, etc.: + Sta HP

BTW, where is that in the rules? I looked, but couldn't find it, and now it's bugging me.

Pesky wrote:
Yes, it adds to HP after 1st level. There are many other applications of Stamina besides Fort saves: if your Stamina is especially low ( less than or equal to 5) then you take double damage from poisons and disease; you can make a Stamina check (roll a d20 and get your ability score or lower) to check on endurance for a particular task; the damage that some creatures do to you is based on your stamina, etc. As a judge, you can make stamina as important to the players as you want it to be...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:26 pm 
Cold-Hearted Immortal

I allow it to be "double dipped" so apply at 0, and then again at 1. In the grand scheme of things, it's not a big deal, at MOST, you're +3hp... In all likelihood, they have a minus anyway, and having to eat it twice just makes it funnier.

RoM pbp:
Hamun Ry (Wiz 4)
Str 10 Agi 15 (+1) Sta 11 Per 11 Int 17 (+2) Luc 10 (Unholy House). Align: C. AC: 14. HP: 13. Melee +1, Ranged +2. Crit: d8, I. Save: Ref +5, Fort +3, Will +4.
Spells: 1: Choking Cloud, Comprehend Languages, Detect Magic (odd crystal growths), Magic Missile (mirror images), Runic Alphabet (Mortal) (ravenously hungry), Ventriloquism (rain of frogs)
2: Detect Invisible, Levitate (extremely difficult, d14), Mirror Image (20% chance to raise/lower luck by 1d3 points).
Equip: Ring of the Sand Djinn: +2 AC/saves, Invisibility for 1min/spellburn point, or unmake for great, unknown effect. Padded Armor, Longsword, Longbow, quiver w/20 steel-tipped arrows, 10 silver-tipped arrows, backpack, spellbook, quill and ink, sturdy parchment (10 sheets), 5 days rations, high leather boots, belt w/ belt pouch, gray robe, dark gray hooded cloak. Also carries 3 small mechanical toys: wind-up mouse, wooden puzzle cube, small jewelry box that plays a little tune.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:01 pm 
Far-Sighted Wanderer

orangefruitbat wrote:
Level 2, 3, etc.: + Sta HP

BTW, where is that in the rules? I looked, but couldn't find it, and now it's bugging me.

On page 18 in the Ability scores section it says:
the rulebook wrote:
Endurance, resistance to pain, disease, and poison. Your Stamina modifier affects hit points (even at level 0) and Fortitude saving throws.

so it definitely looks like you get your HP bonus/penalty at both Level 0 and Level 1.
In my game I've actually always given Level 1 characters maximum hit points for their dice - keeps the players happy that they don't have a Warrior with 1 hit point from Level 0 and 1 hit point from Level 1.. for a grand total of 2.
And doing that doesn't reduce the deadliness at all, if our history is anything to go by...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:28 pm 
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

orangefruitbat wrote:

Why? It's a level up. He gets a hit dice, he gets the Stamina bonus to the hit dice. It's just like any other level up.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:54 pm 
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Pesky wrote:
Yes, it adds to HP after 1st level.

Hey orangefruitbat, I meant to say "after zeroth level," but for some reason I was thinking about first level and typed "1st." While what I wrote is correct, I didn't mean to imply it skips first level. Sorry for any confusion I caused :oops:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:49 am 
Ill-Fated Peasant

Ok, HP at every level then (they're going to need them...)