Actions

For DCC RPG rules discussion. Includes rules questions and ideas, new rules suggestions, homebrews and hacks, conversions to other systems, and everything else rules-related.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Valerian J Vortex
Ill-Fated Peasant

Actions

Post by Valerian J Vortex »

Another trouble-making question, with a request for how more-experienced GMs (and even the authors) handle this situation. Apologies in advance if the forums have already covered this, but my searches have come up negative.

A level 6 warrior each round has a move, a d20 action, and a d16 action. As written, the rules make it clear that she can move twice, or move then make a d20 attack then make a d16 attack.

(1) Can she move, then make a d20 attack, then move again?

(2) If she moves twice, then attacks, would she:
a) Attack with a d16? (The "first attack" was traded in for a move.)
b) Attack with a d20? (The third action is the first attack of the round, thus gets a d20.)

(3) Can she move, then make a d16 attack, then make a d20 attack?

(4) Can she move thrice in lieu of making any actions?

On the face of things, and without hearing from wiser heads, my GM rulings would be:

Moving 30' (unencumbered) in the setting of melee combat in 10 seconds while defending oneself normally isn't doing too badly. Moving 60' while defending oneself normally is pretty impressive. I would interpret "All characters can take another movement for their actions" (p.77) to mean that "by cashing in _all_ your action dice, you can get one extra move". So in the situations above:

(1) No.
(2) Not applicable. _Both_ the d20 and the d16 have been lost by moving twice.
(4) No.

For situation (3), I'd be inclined to say that a character's best attack in a round would their first, thus the first attack must be the d20. The Rules As Written on p.77 would back this up if one interprets "first die" as meaning both "the first (largest) die in Table 1-10" as well as "the chronologically first die thrown in a given round".

Of course, there are various D&D/GURPS/C&C/etc optional rules about jogging, sprinting, charging, going berserk, and so forth which can increase movement rates, usually at the cost of fatigue or reduced defence. Let's put those to one side for the moment, as I am trying to figure out how DCC treats basic movement in combat.

Your thoughts?

Cheers,
KenB.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Re: Actions

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Valerian J Vortex wrote:On the face of things, and without hearing from wiser heads, my GM rulings would be:
Your interpretations sound right to me.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
Pesky
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Re: Actions

Post by Pesky »

Doh, RC just ninja'd me. Ah, well, here is what I was writing anyways...
Valerian J Vortex wrote:Another trouble-making question, with a request for how more-experienced GMs (and even the authors) handle this situation. Apologies in advance if the forums have already covered this, but my searches have come up negative.
Some of the questions you raise have been discussed briefly. You can find one thread here. This comes up by searching for "movement"; you may come up with others if you slog through the hits. Hope that helps...
Terry Olson

Return to “Rules discussion”