Birth Auger at +0

For DCC RPG rules discussion. Includes rules questions and ideas, new rules suggestions, homebrews and hacks, conversions to other systems, and everything else rules-related.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

phg
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Birth Auger at +0

Post by phg »

I'm starting to be of the mind that when a player generates a new character that I won't even bother having them write down their Birth Auger if their initial Luck modifier is +0. It doesn't convey any information, but having the player write it down seems to imply that it's something that could change as their Luck changes, which it has been pointed out in these forums is actually not the case.

Is there any reason to have a new player write "Mounted Combat +0" on their sheet?
DCCfan
Steely-Eyed Heathen-Slayer
FLGS: The Comics Club

Re: Birth Auger at +0

Post by DCCfan »

phg wrote:I'm starting to be of the mind that when a player generates a new character that I won't even bother having them write down their Birth Auger if their initial Luck modifier is +0. It doesn't convey any information, but having the player write it down seems to imply that it's something that could change as their Luck changes, which it has been pointed out in these forums is actually not the case.

Is there any reason to have a new player write "Mounted Combat +0" on their sheet?
I had a player roll up three zeros the other day and they all had luck +0. He didn't even bother to roll the birth auger because it would never change. I guess as the DM you could try to make ride checks easier for this guy. Maybe everything horse related would be a little easier for him. Anyway I think I'll go back and make him roll the augers just in case I come up with something like this.
"When creating your character,choose an ethical system that can justify nearly any fit of temper, greed, cowardice, or vindictiveness, for example, Chaotic Violent..."

THE PROTOCOLS, ADVANCED PROTOCOL #10
Ravenheart87
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ravenheart87 »

I had an idea about modifying the "permanent" luck bonus to the current at every level up. Don't know if I'm going to use it or not.
Vorpal Mace: a humble rpg blog with some DCC-related stuff.
bholmes4
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by bholmes4 »

Or just give Birth Augurs a minimum of +1. With 3d6 in order it's not a big deal.
PeelSeel2
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by PeelSeel2 »

I have them write it down. It comes up in roleplaying, for better or worse. One more nugget to give a hint where this character came from.
Dagonazrael
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Dagonazrael »

I agree, I like it for flavour. It is great to know that a character is a seventh son, for example, whether this confers a bonus or not.
Vanguard
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Vanguard »

I have my players write them down. When I ran Sailors, one of my players was Born on the Battlefield. He wanted to roll a knowledge check regarding the history of the keep. I allowed him to do so, as he likely heard stories of wars due to his birthright. Even if the modifier is not useful, incorporating that element into their backstory is pretty cool, I think.
My Gaming Blog: The Earthlight Academy
http://earthlightacademy.blogspot.com/
TheNobleDrake
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by TheNobleDrake »

Birth augurs are also an opportunity to key in special use or special properties when it comes to magical items - perhaps the amulet only fully protects a plague survivor from disease but all others gain added resistance from wearing it (boring example, sorry).

And lets not forget birth augur being something that could play into which character is the target of kidnapping by cultists that need someone of specific birth for their sacrifice.
ThreeDieSix
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by ThreeDieSix »

I've been thinking of giving characters with a 9 or 10 initial luck a -1 birth auger and characters with 11 or 12 initial luck a +1 birth auger. Makes the characters a little more interesting and individual.
phg
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by phg »

ThreeDieSix wrote:I've been thinking of giving characters with a 9 or 10 initial luck a -1 birth auger and characters with 11 or 12 initial luck a +1 birth auger. Makes the characters a little more interesting and individual.
I like this.
Bisikoff
Far-Sighted Wanderer
FLGS: Black Diamond Games

Post by Bisikoff »

ThreeDieSix wrote:I've been thinking of giving characters with a 9 or 10 initial luck a -1 birth auger and characters with 11 or 12 initial luck a +1 birth auger. Makes the characters a little more interesting and individual.
I actually like that better than the min +1 solution (which is what I had been thinking). This hack makes it so there's no neutral birth augers, which I find flavorful.
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

If nothing else, it adds flavor to the character.
This is a nice solution. Avoids the whole +0 issue altogether. 8)
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
Aplus
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Aplus »

Great idea!
Check out my DCC Resources Page for cool stuff!
ShaggyCan
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by ShaggyCan »

What about this, it is a touch of bookkeeping, but not bad if you have a room with a dry erase board.
You could keep a 'Luckiness record', everytime someone rolls a Nat 20 or a 1 they would check it off on the board. For every so many their luck would go up or down. So if the player is lucky or unlucky it affects his character.
So the PC that crits 3 times in a game might feel he can burn off a point of luck to help the team, instead of miserly saving them for emergencies.
It would take some playtesting to figure out how many crits/fumbles would affext the luck score.
Also this could just be temp luck for the session.

What do ya think?
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

ShaggyCan wrote:You could keep a 'Luckiness record', everytime someone rolls a Nat 20 or a 1 they would check it off on the board. For every so many their luck would go up or down. So if the player is lucky or unlucky it affects his character.
An interesting concept, having the player's die rolls tie into the character's luck. I'd have to ponder how this would work, but it's a cool idea. :D
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Vanguard wrote:I have my players write them down. When I ran Sailors, one of my players was Born on the Battlefield. He wanted to roll a knowledge check regarding the history of the keep. I allowed him to do so, as he likely heard stories of wars due to his birthright. Even if the modifier is not useful, incorporating that element into their backstory is pretty cool, I think.
+d24

The Judge is also completely in his rights to assign a +1 bonus to the birth auger later. This is especially appropriate if events in the campaign make use of the auger in some way. For example, if an adventure takes place within (or including) a storm of mythic proportions, a character with The Raging Storm as a birth auger (and who survives!) might discover that his bonus has been increased by 1.

Random rolls in this game drive the action, and our understanding of the action in the game. Does it matter what the manifestation of a spell is from a rules perspective? Probably not. Does it matter to experiencing the game? I think it does. And you never know...sometimes the manifestation might actually be important. So to with the +0 birth auger.

Imagine that a character has a +0 birth auger "Survived a spider bite". Couldn't that auger his later opportunity to win the patronage of Mellythese, demon-goddess of spiders?

What about our baker who was raised by wolves? Might he not be able to make a Luck check that he knows the wolves now attacking his village? If so, they might not attack him personally, so long as he doesn't attack them. Would he be able to challenge the Alpha Male of this (or another) pack for dominance....as Tarzan does with many groups of apes in various ERB novels?

Let the player propose how his birth auger applies. As a Judge, consider how birth augers might apply to (or be affected by) the adventures you run. And the player who didn't bother to roll, because he had a modifier of +0? That character is literally out of luck. Nothing special happened at his birth/in his youth.

(But he might want to roll next time!)

RC
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
smathis
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by smathis »

Raven_Crowking wrote:Imagine that a character has a +0 birth auger "Survived a spider bite". Couldn't that auger his later opportunity to win the patronage of Mellythese, demon-goddess of spiders?

What about our baker who was raised by wolves? Might he not be able to make a Luck check that he knows the wolves now attacking his village? If so, they might not attack him personally, so long as he doesn't attack them. Would he be able to challenge the Alpha Male of this (or another) pack for dominance....as Tarzan does with many groups of apes in various ERB novels?
I like this idea. I'll also throw in that the more I play/run DCC the more I'm all about making the Birth Augur (and corresponding Luck modifier application for Classes) into a flat +1 bonus that doesn't change and isn't related to the Luck ability score.

I have enough uses for Luck (drawing of course from my work on TA/TG) that it doesn't matter if the Birth Augur of 0-Levels or "Lucky Roll" of the Character Classes is tied to Luck.

So flat +1 for me. Less bookkeeping. Less confusion. Fewer grumpy players that rolled an 8 on their Luck score.
ShaggyCan
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by ShaggyCan »

Gave out a +1 to luck to a player that rolled back to back crits. The ability scores vs bonus are far enough appart that a +1 to an ability score doesn't often raise a bonus.
bholmes4
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by bholmes4 »

ShaggyCan wrote:What about this, it is a touch of bookkeeping, but not bad if you have a room with a dry erase board.
You could keep a 'Luckiness record', everytime someone rolls a Nat 20 or a 1 they would check it off on the board. For every so many their luck would go up or down. So if the player is lucky or unlucky it affects his character.
So the PC that crits 3 times in a game might feel he can burn off a point of luck to help the team, instead of miserly saving them for emergencies.
It would take some playtesting to figure out how many crits/fumbles would affext the luck score.
Also this could just be temp luck for the session.

What do ya think?
Not sure how I missed this post before but I am really intrigued by this idea.
Belares
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Belares »

I have been kicking around the idea that if your luck score changes Permanently, not by burning luck/regaining luck, then the birth augur can be gained or lost. There where always ways for ability scores to change during the adventurers career.
themightyeroc
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by themightyeroc »

I did this for my group, and they all liked knowing that their PC either had "good" or "bad" luck. They were also fond of the fact that by Questing they could possibly go from Bad to Good Luck as well.
Ah well, who wants to live forever? DIE!
worldoferoc.blogspot.com
beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

themightyeroc wrote:

I did this for my group, and they all liked knowing that their PC either had "good" or "bad" luck. They were also fond of the fact that by Questing they could possibly go from Bad to Good Luck as well.

Yeah, for the life of me, I can't understand why the Birth Augur / Lucky Roll was held to be static, and could never increase. Granted, a few of them are pretty powerful (+hp, +ac), but... so what. It's random, and it takes player skill and no small amount of real luck to use it / shepherd it / keep the character alive.

And if you're stuck with a bad negative modifier, if it can NEVER increase, even through questing, that would probably lead to a pretty well unplayable character. Maybe that's not a terrible result, but what if dude is average to solid otherwise, but has a 3 luck and gets Bountiful harvest. Yay, 1hp/level forever? That's not going to last long, no matter what the AC.
phg
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by phg »

beermotor wrote: Maybe that's not a terrible result, but what if dude is average to solid otherwise, but has a 3 luck and gets Bountiful harvest. Yay, 1hp/level forever? That's not going to last long, no matter what the AC.
Otoh, that character is *extremely* rare. First you have to roll a "3" for a stat (about 3% chance), and then for the Luck stat in particular (1/6 chance, cumulatively about .5% chance ), and then the auger for HP (1/30 chance, cumulatively about .015%). So out of 10,000 randomly generated characters, you'd end up with the poor fellow in question (1hp/level), but you'd also come across his uber-lucky cousin with +3hp/level...
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

beermotor wrote:Yeah, for the life of me, I can't understand why the Birth Augur / Lucky Roll was held to be static, and could never increase.
I think, although Ardneh knows I could be wrong, that the Birth Augur was simply intended as a constant factor throughout the character's life. Sometimes that would be a "Man, I'm having the worst luck right now, but at least I know how to fight!" moment, and, at other times it would be "Skill checks! Why did it have to be skill checks?"

Of course, characters can Quest to change their luck with regards to their Birth Auger, and the judges' advice in the Core Rulebook about changing Luck also seems to apply.

I am currently working on an adventure for Purple Duck Games where your Birth Auger matters, even if it has no associated bonus, and it matters deeply.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

phg wrote:
beermotor wrote: Maybe that's not a terrible result, but what if dude is average to solid otherwise, but has a 3 luck and gets Bountiful harvest. Yay, 1hp/level forever? That's not going to last long, no matter what the AC.
Otoh, that character is *extremely* rare. First you have to roll a "3" for a stat (about 3% chance), and then for the Luck stat in particular (1/6 chance, cumulatively about .5% chance ), and then the auger for HP (1/30 chance, cumulatively about .015%). So out of 10,000 randomly generated characters, you'd end up with the poor fellow in question (1hp/level), but you'd also come across his uber-lucky cousin with +3hp/level...
Yeah, but even a more likely result of -1 or -2 is still potentially crippling, combined with the randomness of the HD rolls.

I liked what people were saying above about making the Birth Augur just a flat +1. I think I'm going to do that.

Return to “Rules discussion”