Stamina and HP

For DCC RPG rules discussion. Includes rules questions and ideas, new rules suggestions, homebrews and hacks, conversions to other systems, and everything else rules-related.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

orangefruitbat
Ill-Fated Peasant

Stamina and HP

Post by orangefruitbat »

Does Stamina add to HP after level 0?

Also, other than Fortitude saves, what is it used for?
Pesky
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Re: Stamina and HP

Post by Pesky »

Yes, it adds to HP after 1st level. There are many other applications of Stamina besides Fort saves: if your Stamina is especially low ( less than or equal to 5) then you take double damage from poisons and disease; you can make a Stamina check (roll a d20 and get your ability score or lower) to check on endurance for a particular task; the damage that some creatures do to you is based on your stamina, etc. As a judge, you can make stamina as important to the players as you want it to be...
Terry Olson
orangefruitbat
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by orangefruitbat »

Ok, thanks. I would probably have kept it regardless. So the way it goes is:
level 0: + Sta HP
Level 1: no Sta HP (cause that would be double dipping)
Level 2, 3, etc.: + Sta HP

BTW, where is that in the rules? I looked, but couldn't find it, and now it's bugging me.
Pesky wrote:Yes, it adds to HP after 1st level. There are many other applications of Stamina besides Fort saves: if your Stamina is especially low ( less than or equal to 5) then you take double damage from poisons and disease; you can make a Stamina check (roll a d20 and get your ability score or lower) to check on endurance for a particular task; the damage that some creatures do to you is based on your stamina, etc. As a judge, you can make stamina as important to the players as you want it to be...
beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

I allow it to be "double dipped" so apply at 0, and then again at 1. In the grand scheme of things, it's not a big deal, at MOST, you're +3hp... In all likelihood, they have a minus anyway, and having to eat it twice just makes it funnier.
Merl
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Merl »

orangefruitbat wrote:Ok, thanks. I would probably have kept it regardless. So the way it goes is:
Level 2, 3, etc.: + Sta HP

BTW, where is that in the rules? I looked, but couldn't find it, and now it's bugging me.
On page 18 in the Ability scores section it says:
the rulebook wrote:Endurance, resistance to pain, disease, and poison. Your Stamina modifier affects hit points (even at level 0) and Fortitude saving throws.
so it definitely looks like you get your HP bonus/penalty at both Level 0 and Level 1.
In my game I've actually always given Level 1 characters maximum hit points for their dice - keeps the players happy that they don't have a Warrior with 1 hit point from Level 0 and 1 hit point from Level 1.. for a grand total of 2.
And doing that doesn't reduce the deadliness at all, if our history is anything to go by...
Ravenheart87
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ravenheart87 »

orangefruitbat wrote:Ok, thanks. I would probably have kept it regardless. So the way it goes is:
Why? It's a level up. He gets a hit dice, he gets the Stamina bonus to the hit dice. It's just like any other level up.
Vorpal Mace: a humble rpg blog with some DCC-related stuff.
Pesky
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Pesky »

Pesky wrote:Yes, it adds to HP after 1st level.
Hey orangefruitbat, I meant to say "after zeroth level," but for some reason I was thinking about first level and typed "1st." While what I wrote is correct, I didn't mean to imply it skips first level. Sorry for any confusion I caused :oops:
Terry Olson
orangefruitbat
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by orangefruitbat »

Ok, HP at every level then (they're going to need them...)

Return to “Rules discussion”