Goodman Games

Fan Forums
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:18 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: magic item identification? What's Your take?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:29 pm 
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Looking for a bit of feedback if you want.

I love the rare and unique magic items encouraged by DCC but either I forget it or there doesn't seem to be a low level spell to identify the properties of magic items.

Even if there is, do you use it or do you have another method for characters to discover the magical properties of an item.

Do they have to use it? Do they have to take it and pay a sage? Does it just glow and you just tell the players "it does such"? Do they have to "sleep on it" like recent editions of D&D?

I prefer the use it and find out method. But sometimes I make the items so specific that the circumstances to show the magic do not come around very fast. Obviously it can take a while for a "Helm of the Gills" (aka water breathing) to show its usefulness for a while. But it can still look cool with green tinted metal flaring out from the neck protector of the helm.
You get the drift...

What's your take?

Post subject: Re: magic item identification? What's Your take?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:47 pm 
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

A result of 24+ on "Detect Magic" does the trick: "Further, the cleric receives a very precise understanding of the magic’s strength and nature: he knows an item is a +2 sword or that a door is guarded by a level 3 ward portal spell."

I decided I didn't always like it that the higher level characters could so easily determine the precise nature of magic, so I've ruled that the reverse of "Detect Magic" is a sort of "Scramble Magic Aura" spell that can be used to disguise a magical aura. I've also created a category of "minor artifacts" that radiate whatever sort of aura the magical item chooses to radiate.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 3:23 am 
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

I'm kinda of two minds.

I like the idea of having the guys sweat it out,trying different things,risking curses,acting silly"I put the ring on and try to fly! I run down the hall,am I faster? I wave my arms a lot,now try and hit me!"

On the other hand sometimes I just wish to get it over with,its a blue glowing shortsword with Strike True inscribed in Elvish down the blade,it's a +1 shortsword,+2 verse Chaotics.

I think Detect magic goes a long ways towards handling this.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:01 pm 
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Yeah, my category of "minor artifacts" exists just so I can foil the 24+ result of the Detect Magic spell, but only when I want to :-)