Movement question

For DCC RPG rules discussion. Includes rules questions and ideas, new rules suggestions, homebrews and hacks, conversions to other systems, and everything else rules-related.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Varkias
Ill-Fated Peasant

Movement question

Post by Varkias »

Is movement meant to be separate from actions?

That is, do you do your movement (and any move-allowable actions like weapon drawing), and then do your Action Dice actions (or vice-versa), 3&4e D&D-style? If you use this style, can you split multiple Action Dice around the movement (Action/Move/Action)?

Or is the movement rate the total amount of movement you can take during your move, and your Action Dice actions can take place anywhere within it, as currently worded DDN-style? (Say, move 20', cast a spell, then move your remaining 10', and don't forget the free enemy attack if you're leaving melee.)

While I tend to prefer the latter, I'd like to at least know I'm using a house-ruling if it's supposed to be the former. :)
Pesky
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Re: Movement question

Post by Pesky »

FWIW, I keep movement separate from actions, allowing all action dice to take place either before or after the movement. I don't allow movement to be "split up" by the action dice. As stated in the rules, I do allow substitution of a round's action dice for another movement.
Terry Olson
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

Yeah, I prefer a "move then act" or "act then move" set of choices rather than a split "move, act, move" option. This keeps things simple.
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
Bilgewriggler
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Bilgewriggler »

I'm going to have to ponder this one. I actually think it sounds kind of cool to let the movement occur whenever the player wants it to. This gives dwarves and higher level characters a little more oomph, and considering how deadly the game is, I don't mind allowing the characters that boost.

OTOH, I can't see any reason why monsters wouldn't get the same courtesy, and those vine horrors in Sailors on the Starless Sea are already pretty deadly without letting them move 5 feet, whack a 0-level character with one action die, move 15 more feet and whack another.

Maybe the solution would be to allow characters (and opponents) to break up movement into a number of segments equal to their intelligence modifier.
Purple Planeteers:

Jingles Coinclink, Halfling, hag-hacked into haggis

Nurzual the Faceter – M Jwlr - Wiz - L
S 12 A 8 (-1) S 9 P 11 I 15 (+1) L 10
AC 9 HP 6 Mv 30 Init -1 Ref 0 Fort 0 Will 1
Chalk 1pc, 20 gp Gem, Backpack, 10’ chain, 10 sheets parchment, Kith pouch, small hammer, ray-gun, Rope 50', 5gp 10sp 274 cp
shortsword +0(1d6)
Ch Psn (no MM), Clr Spr 65, Force Manip 81, Rd Mag 12, Spidr Cl 69
Pl.Common (basic)

Snooth Inksplot Scribe RIP under cave-in, a crushing loss

Qort Quiddlegit M Hlr - Cler - N(C?)
S 11 temp 14 (+1) A 11 temp 14 (+1) S 6 (-1) P 5 (-2) I 6 (-1) L 5 (-2)
AC 10 temp 11 HP 8 Mov 30 Init 0 Ref t+1 Fort 0 Will -1
club +0 (1d4+1t) - hand mirror, holy wtr, wtrskin Kith drink 12 oz drunk, 31 cp
-2 Ms fire damage
Det Magic

Brandybland Shoetree F Coblr N
S 10 A 9 S 10 P 8 (-1) I 9 L 9
AC 14 HP 1 Mov 30 Init 0 Ref 0 Fort 0; Will -1
gldtr glaive +0 (1d10) - gldtr ch mail - Fe spike, shoehorn, 48 cp
Prof: dagger
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

Bilgewriggler wrote:...Maybe the solution would be to allow characters (and opponents) to break up movement into a number of segments equal to their intelligence modifier.
...or the number of their action dice. Each action die being able to 'support' some portion of the total movement rate the character has seems reasonable to me.

But then again, I like the idea of breaking up the move/action, action/move paradigm.
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham

Return to “Rules discussion”