Luck score table question

For DCC RPG rules discussion. Includes rules questions and ideas, new rules suggestions, homebrews and hacks, conversions to other systems, and everything else rules-related.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Tush Hog
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Luck score table question

Post by Tush Hog »

In the description on how to determine Birth auger, it says that the roll is modified by your Luck modifier and all other normal modifiers. Does that mean you tally all the modifiers from all of your ability scores?
Colin

Re: Luck score table question

Post by Colin »

Tush Hog wrote:In the description on how to determine Birth auger, it says that the roll is modified by your Luck modifier and all other normal modifiers. Does that mean you tally all the modifiers from all of your ability scores?
No, it means the benefit of the Augur is applied to appropriate results using it. For example, if your Luck was 15 (+1), and you'd rolled 2 on the Birth Augur table (The Bull: Melee Attacks) you'd apply your +1 Luck modifier to any of your character's melee attacks *as well as any normal modifiers you'd apply to your character's melee attacks anyway*.

Colin
Last edited by Colin on Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tush Hog
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Tush Hog »

Thanks! That makes more sense.
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

Yeah, it sounds confusing at first but clear once you get it.

"The roll" in question isn't the birth table roll (which is the way I read it at first) but whatever roll matches the bonus given by luck.

The first time I played I assumed luck would modify the birth table roll, then I realized that the best things weren't all at the top.

Anyway, Colin is correct.
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
IronWolf
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by IronWolf »

finarvyn wrote:Yeah, it sounds confusing at first but clear once you get it.

"The roll" in question isn't the birth table roll (which is the way I read it at first) but whatever roll matches the bonus given by luck.

The first time I played I assumed luck would modify the birth table roll, then I realized that the best things weren't all at the top.
Doh! The first 0-levels we rolled up we applied the luck modifier to the table roll too. But you are right, some of the cool things are at the bottom of the table as well.

Oh - well, those first characters weren't so lucky anyways. They died in a TPK...
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

IronWolf wrote:Doh! The first 0-levels we rolled up we applied the luck modifier to the table roll too. But you are right, some of the cool things are at the bottom of the table as well.
And I suppose the table could have been constructed so that the best things were on top and the worst were on the bottom. Logical, but it wasn't done that way.

Don't sweat it. I'd bet that most folks made that error the first time. :lol:
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
MonsterSlayer
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by MonsterSlayer »

Sorry to Necro a thread but I was searching for an answer to a question regarding the Luck/Birth Auger roll.

If a 0 lvl character does not have a bonus or negative on their luck score do most of you bother rolling the birth auger for that character or not? I know it adds a bit of flavor to the character but most of my PCs have had "average" luck scores.

My players look at me funny when I ask them to roll on a table that doesn't do anything for their Luck score 10 character.

Or am I missing something on the rule?

BTW new to the DCC RPG but loving it....
Hungerstriker
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Hungerstriker »

Hi MonsterSlayer, I actually was wondering the same thing.

Personally, to speed up character creation and all that, I don't bother to make my players roll a Birth Augur unless they actually have a luck modifier. If they burn their luck down to such a point that they now have a negative modifier, I make them roll their augur at that time. Makes it a little more exciting, I think.

Another solution I saw somewhere on these forums was a houserule that your birth augur always gives a +1, regardless of your luck score. Wish I knew who to credit that one to, since it seems like a really good idea IMO.
cjoepar
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by cjoepar »

I make them roll and keep track of it. I have put magic items into the game that work differently depending on the character's birth auger, and I have had a character express an interest in questing for the chance to get a bonus for his birth auger even though he started with no modifier.
DCCfan
Steely-Eyed Heathen-Slayer
FLGS: The Comics Club

Post by DCCfan »

I think it says that the lucky roll bonus is set for life. This makes a mid range score good if you burn lots of luck. So if you could burn a bunch of luck and not affect your melee attack. You would remain at+0 even though your new luck mod is burned down to a -2.
"When creating your character,choose an ethical system that can justify nearly any fit of temper, greed, cowardice, or vindictiveness, for example, Chaotic Violent..."

THE PROTOCOLS, ADVANCED PROTOCOL #10
Monster
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Monster »

I think even if you have no luck bonus, this auger can give you a skill you did not have.

Think "find traps" on a non theif. Normal chance is a D10, theives and those with this as
a birth auger roll a D20 modified by the normal attribute. Quite a bonus!

Think "turn undead/unholy" on a warrior. Get a chance on D20 plus personality to be a
ghetto paladin!

Think outside the box people!
To that creature, you are the monsters hunting it!
Noun mon·ster/mɒnstər/Show Spell[mon-ster]
1. a legendary animal combining features of animal and human form or having the forms of various animals in combination, as a centaur, griffin, or sphinx.
2. any creature so ugly or monstrous as to frighten people.
3. any animal or human grotesquely deviating from the normal shape, behavior, or character.
4. a person who excites horror by wickedness, cruelty, etc.
5. any animal or thing huge in size.
6. any small, unattended children running free

Return to “Rules discussion”