Birth Auger at +0

For DCC RPG rules discussion. Includes rules questions and ideas, new rules suggestions, homebrews and hacks, conversions to other systems, and everything else rules-related.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

phg
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Re: Birth Auger at +0

Post by phg »

beermotor wrote:
phg wrote:
beermotor wrote: Maybe that's not a terrible result, but what if dude is average to solid otherwise, but has a 3 luck and gets Bountiful harvest. Yay, 1hp/level forever? That's not going to last long, no matter what the AC.
Otoh, that character is *extremely* rare. First you have to roll a "3" for a stat (about 3% chance), and then for the Luck stat in particular (1/6 chance, cumulatively about .5% chance ), and then the auger for HP (1/30 chance, cumulatively about .015%). So out of 10,000 randomly generated characters, you'd end up with the poor fellow in question (1hp/level), but you'd also come across his uber-lucky cousin with +3hp/level...
Yeah, but even a more likely result of -1 or -2 is still potentially crippling, combined with the randomness of the HD rolls.

I liked what people were saying above about making the Birth Augur just a flat +1. I think I'm going to do that.
That's cool, I'm confident you know what's best for your group, and that's all that matters of course! :D

Some of this is just framing and perception, and has much, much less bearing on character viability/survivability than the thousands of happenstances that make up the character's life. Over a theoretical 20 session arc that takes a party from 1st to 3rd level, there will be only three rolls for HP. Regardless of the Birth Auger, it is entirely conceivable that Al the warrior rolls 8, 4, 9 (not bad!) whereas Bob the warrior rolls 3, 6, 2 (ouch!).

Please don't take this as an argument; I'm more just spitballing some observations! My favorite characters have sometimes been the "crippled" characters that manage to survive and ultimately flourish, if it isn't clear from my advocacy. :)
bholmes4
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by bholmes4 »

phg wrote: Regardless of the Birth Auger, it is entirely conceivable that Al the warrior rolls 8, 4, 9 (not bad!) whereas Bob the warrior rolls 3, 6, 2 (ouch!).
The problem is it might be Bob who has the -1 hp per level birth augur...

Some players may like the challenge but I know many would be irritated his birth augur continues to play such a huge role in defining and hindering the character after that many sessions.
Bilgewriggler
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Bilgewriggler »

Of course, if you don't allow for the possibility of a warrior with ridiculously low hit points due to a crippling birth augur, you'll also never have the pleasure of seeing such a character reach third or fourth level to everyone's astonishment. Yes, in the long run, the sheer weight of probability suggests that the character will meet his doom long before the rest of his party, but in the meantime, the potential for highly entertaining underdog scenarios may be worth the inevitability of his demise.
Purple Planeteers:

Jingles Coinclink, Halfling, hag-hacked into haggis

Nurzual the Faceter – M Jwlr - Wiz - L
S 12 A 8 (-1) S 9 P 11 I 15 (+1) L 10
AC 9 HP 6 Mv 30 Init -1 Ref 0 Fort 0 Will 1
Chalk 1pc, 20 gp Gem, Backpack, 10’ chain, 10 sheets parchment, Kith pouch, small hammer, ray-gun, Rope 50', 5gp 10sp 274 cp
shortsword +0(1d6)
Ch Psn (no MM), Clr Spr 65, Force Manip 81, Rd Mag 12, Spidr Cl 69
Pl.Common (basic)

Snooth Inksplot Scribe RIP under cave-in, a crushing loss

Qort Quiddlegit M Hlr - Cler - N(C?)
S 11 temp 14 (+1) A 11 temp 14 (+1) S 6 (-1) P 5 (-2) I 6 (-1) L 5 (-2)
AC 10 temp 11 HP 8 Mov 30 Init 0 Ref t+1 Fort 0 Will -1
club +0 (1d4+1t) - hand mirror, holy wtr, wtrskin Kith drink 12 oz drunk, 31 cp
-2 Ms fire damage
Det Magic

Brandybland Shoetree F Coblr N
S 10 A 9 S 10 P 8 (-1) I 9 L 9
AC 14 HP 1 Mov 30 Init 0 Ref 0 Fort 0; Will -1
gldtr glaive +0 (1d10) - gldtr ch mail - Fe spike, shoehorn, 48 cp
Prof: dagger
jozxyqk
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by jozxyqk »

bholmes4 wrote:
phg wrote: Regardless of the Birth Auger, it is entirely conceivable that Al the warrior rolls 8, 4, 9 (not bad!) whereas Bob the warrior rolls 3, 6, 2 (ouch!).
The problem is it might be Bob who has the -1 hp per level birth augur...

Some players may like the challenge but I know many would be irritated his birth augur continues to play such a huge role in defining and hindering the character after that many sessions.
If a player can't handle the tiny possibility of -1 hp per level due to his birth augur, it's hard for me to see how they could handle rolling 3d6 down the line at all (where there's a tremendously better chance of rolling a low stamina that would have the same effect).

They should probably be using a system where they roll 4d6 choose best 3 (+1 or more on everything!).

Return to “Rules discussion”