Bonus to replace Spellburn option?

For DCC RPG rules discussion. Includes rules questions and ideas, new rules suggestions, homebrews and hacks, conversions to other systems, and everything else rules-related.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Johann
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Bonus to replace Spellburn option?

Post by Johann »

Hi there!

I'm running another DCC one-shot on Monday (Doom of the Savage Kings). My first one was great fun (The Portal Under the Stars)!

Some characters are now level 1, so character classes and spell casting come into play. However, I'd like to keep things simple for now, so I'm ignoring several (cool) parts of the rules.

I'd like to ignore spellburn, too. First, it's bit of a complication. Second, it's a one-shot and thus not really balanced.

I have the impression that spellburn is very important to the success of spell casters so I'd like to give them a flat bonus to compensate for that option. What would be an adequate bonus?

Best wishes

Johann
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Re: Bonus to replace Spellburn option?

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Why does the adventure being a one-shot make Spellburn unbalanced?
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

Ah... we've run into this a little in convention play. Wizards go nova because they know they won't need their stats again.

It's not totally unbalanced to run a wizard without the option to burn, but I'd avoid the flat bonus. Too much of a blessing for every spell. Maybe give the wizard a special 1d6 (or a 1d5 if you have one kicking around) and let him know that for one spell, and one spell only, he gets to roll the die and add it to his total. Call it his patron die or something. :)
//H
The lucky guy who got to write some Dungeon Crawl Classics.

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Harley Stroh wrote:Ah... we've run into this a little in convention play. Wizards go nova because they know they won't need their stats again.
I suppose, although I'm not sure how the Wizard knows that for certain, unless it is because the time limit of the event is drawing near.....? Otherwise, it will go hard on the player who guesses wrong about what the session climax is.....and, even then, a pack of jaloks might still be encountered on the Pellucidarian Plains.

In any event, I would consider simply placing a cap on how much Spellburn can be done due to some immutable Law of Magic caused by a unique Astral Conjunction.

(Have you encountered the same with burning Luck?)
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
Blood Axe
Cold-Blooded Diabolist
FLGS: The Portal

Post by Blood Axe »

Give him some rare magical component (dragons blood) or have him cast it through his magical staff (stored power)- giving a one time bonus. Or at least limit it some way.
To defend: This is the Pact.
But when life loses its value,
and is taken for naught -
then the Pact is to Avenge.
Johann
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Johann »

Blood Axe wrote:Give him some rare magical component (dragons blood) or have him cast it through his magical staff (stored power)- giving a one time bonus. Or at least limit it some way.
This sounds good. Combined with Harley's take on the matter, I guess I'll grant the wizard's player a vial of dragon blood for a one-time +1d5 bonus.

Thanks guys!
celticgriffon
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by celticgriffon »

I recently picked up the manual and a few pre-published adventures. I cannot wait to get this to the table.

I was just wondering if perhaps spellburn should have a limit instead of being open ended?

At 1st level a spellcaster can burn maximum one point / ability.

Again, not sure if this would be too restrictive not having actually played yet.

Michael
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

celticgriffon wrote:I recently picked up the manual and a few pre-published adventures. I cannot wait to get this to the table.

I was just wondering if perhaps spellburn should have a limit instead of being open ended?

At 1st level a spellcaster can burn maximum one point / ability.

Again, not sure if this would be too restrictive not having actually played yet.

Michael
The basic, 'in-a-nutshell' experience is:

• Spellburn in one-shots can lead to extreme results -- the Wizard has no real reason to hold back if the scope of the game is 4-8 hours and it's all over. Expect a severe 'Burn at some point, probably near the end.

• Spellburn in an ongoing campaign (that's not made up of one-shots) has ongoing consequences. "You 'burned down your Stamina last time? This poison is more likely to affect you, isn't it?" etc. Also, if you burn a bunch now, you might discover that what you thought was the end/big-bad is not that and there's plenty more you need to square off against... Too bad the Wizard is limping along, in danger of dying from a splinter for awhile... And a Judge should play up these kinds of consequences -- otherwise, Wizards could dominate a game, making it less fun for non-Wizards.

/2¢
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
DM Cojo
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by DM Cojo »

I don't know...I have seen Spellburn in one shots lead to epic results. I will remember forever how I used spellburn at the end of The Arwich Grinder in a one-shot at GaryCon this year. Took out half the party, but won the day. It was great fun! I recommend leaving Spellburn intact.
DM Cojo
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by DM Cojo »

This old forum post by a friend of mine introduces house rules to make wizards and elves think twice about spellburning, but still keeping the option.

http://www.goodman-games.com/forums/vie ... 37#p112337
celticgriffon
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by celticgriffon »

Thanks for sharing this link DM Cojo!

Return to “Rules discussion”