Goodman Games

Fan Forums
It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:45 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Bonus to replace Spellburn option?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:26 am 
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Hi there!

I'm running another DCC one-shot on Monday (Doom of the Savage Kings). My first one was great fun (The Portal Under the Stars)!

Some characters are now level 1, so character classes and spell casting come into play. However, I'd like to keep things simple for now, so I'm ignoring several (cool) parts of the rules.

I'd like to ignore spellburn, too. First, it's bit of a complication. Second, it's a one-shot and thus not really balanced.

I have the impression that spellburn is very important to the success of spell casters so I'd like to give them a flat bonus to compensate for that option. What would be an adequate bonus?

Best wishes

Johann

Post subject: Re: Bonus to replace Spellburn option?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:44 am 
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Why does the adventure being a one-shot make Spellburn unbalanced?

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:59 am 
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Ah... we've run into this a little in convention play. Wizards go nova because they know they won't need their stats again.

It's not totally unbalanced to run a wizard without the option to burn, but I'd avoid the flat bonus. Too much of a blessing for every spell. Maybe give the wizard a special 1d6 (or a 1d5 if you have one kicking around) and let him know that for one spell, and one spell only, he gets to roll the die and add it to his total. Call it his patron die or something. :)
//H

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:07 am 
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Harley Stroh wrote:
Ah... we've run into this a little in convention play. Wizards go nova because they know they won't need their stats again.

I suppose, although I'm not sure how the Wizard knows that for certain, unless it is because the time limit of the event is drawing near.....? Otherwise, it will go hard on the player who guesses wrong about what the session climax is.....and, even then, a pack of jaloks might still be encountered on the Pellucidarian Plains.

In any event, I would consider simply placing a cap on how much Spellburn can be done due to some immutable Law of Magic caused by a unique Astral Conjunction.

(Have you encountered the same with burning Luck?)

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:08 am 
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Give him some rare magical component (dragons blood) or have him cast it through his magical staff (stored power)- giving a one time bonus. Or at least limit it some way.

then the Pact is to Avenge.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:18 pm 
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Blood Axe wrote:
Give him some rare magical component (dragons blood) or have him cast it through his magical staff (stored power)- giving a one time bonus. Or at least limit it some way.

This sounds good. Combined with Harley's take on the matter, I guess I'll grant the wizard's player a vial of dragon blood for a one-time +1d5 bonus.

Thanks guys!