Thief Backstab

For DCC RPG rules discussion. Includes rules questions and ideas, new rules suggestions, homebrews and hacks, conversions to other systems, and everything else rules-related.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

DimitriX
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Thief Backstab

Post by DimitriX »

Do Thieves get their Backstab bonuses (including the extra powerful damage die and automatic crit) when flanking an opponent or just when the opponent is completely unaware of the Thief?
caveman
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Re: Thief Backstab

Post by caveman »

Judge's call. I've been ruling that Warriors can use a Mighty Deed to set up thieves for the backstab...
reverenddak

Post by reverenddak »

That's a nice "move" caveman, I'm going to tell my Warriors to steal that.

If it was logically plausible, such as in the woods, or in a dark room or full of rubble (and bodies) AND my the thief asked, I'd make them do a "sneak" check (which ever made the most sense) if they succeeded (DC = 3d6+HD), she can get her back-stab bonus & auto-crit. She was awesome, but she's dead now.
Reverend Dakota Jesus Ultimak, S.S.M.o.t.S.M.S., D.M.

(Dungeon) Master In Chief of Crawl! fanzine. - http://www.crawlfanzine.com/

"[...] there is no doubt that Dungeons and Dragons and its imitators are right out of the pit of hell." - William Schnoebelen, Straight talk on Dungeons & Dragons
DimitriX
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by DimitriX »

I like that idea. I think I'll just keep the Backstab as "situational" and let the players work out ways in which they can create the situation.
TheNobleDrake
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by TheNobleDrake »

the wording in the book is set up as there being two separate circumstances (defined by the use of the word "or"), those being "behind an opponent," and the other "or otherwise unaware."

I plan on using it just like that, so a thief gets backstab whenever the target doesn't know of the attack before hand, or when the thief is actually behind the target - with a "if the monster isn't focused on fighting you, you can probably manage to get behind him unless he has an ally or wall at his back," rule in place of actual facing rules.

Return to “Rules discussion”