Dice Chain idea for Ability Checks

For DCC RPG rules discussion. Includes rules questions and ideas, new rules suggestions, homebrews and hacks, conversions to other systems, and everything else rules-related.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

caveman
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Dice Chain idea for Ability Checks

Post by caveman »

So, I had a thought about a fun way to manipulate difficulties with roll under ability checks. How about a standard attempt at something you are familiar with (ride a horse, whatever) is a d20 rolled under a stat, but a more difficult task or an untrained wizard trying to ride a horse would roll a d24 or a d30? Easier tasks could roll a d16...
This makes less math, and uses weird dice, though it is a subsystem... also, how would thieves work? One their own system?
Just a thought...
reverenddak

Re: Dice Chain idea for Ability Checks

Post by reverenddak »

I've tried a few systems. The hardest thing is getting out of the "High" is always better thinking. (I'm also resistant to the "Luck Check" which is a roll under your luck score.)

Rules as written has d20 if you're "skilled" and d10 if you're not. I use variable DCs personally. Getting used to rolling different dice has been hard for me. I haven't remembered yet, not once, to have players roll a d16 when they use 2-handed weapons for initiative. And it's easier to ask someone to make a "Strength check" than it is to have someone "Roll a d16 and add your strength modifier". Basically I find it easier to change the goalpost than it is to change the ball.

I'm finding "Roll a d16" here, and "Add +2" there, a bit inconsistent. It also kind of changes the basic rules system (not that there is anything wrong with it.) Numbers really start to get wider as you go up in die too. The difference between a d20 and d24 then a d30? Crazy, but I can see it being fun. I have a problem with rolling a d30 being bad sometimes, and being awesome other times. But that's my concern about inconsistency.

As for your idea, having a place on the Character sheet for "die type" would help. Anywhere there was modifier can be replaced a die. For example, initiative could d24 for some, and d16 for others, instead of +2, or -2. Same with the Thief Skills. If you're going to use a die type based system, there would have to be a consistent "DC", ala Traveller. Or would it always be an ability score?

I'm curious with what you come up with, and what others think.
Reverend Dakota Jesus Ultimak, S.S.M.o.t.S.M.S., D.M.

(Dungeon) Master In Chief of Crawl! fanzine. - http://www.crawlfanzine.com/

"[...] there is no doubt that Dungeons and Dragons and its imitators are right out of the pit of hell." - William Schnoebelen, Straight talk on Dungeons & Dragons
caveman
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by caveman »

I totally agree that it's inconsistent, and back in 2000, getting rid of roll under mechanics was one of the things I liked about type III, but now a think the real issue was that there was no advancement or differentiation when you always roll d20 against a stat. I think a rule for stat increases (which I have in my campaign) and the use of the Dice Chain might make this more viable. I haven't tried it yet, but I'm into the idea of reducing even simple addition math. It also makes the actual stats relevant. I had a type IV player write her DCC stats entirely in terms of mods the other day. Freaked me out. I'm into it.
My only real issue is Thieves. Perhaps thief mods change the "effective stat"? So if you have +3 Hide in Shadows, and you have an Agility of 14, you roll 17 or lower on a d20?

Now that I think about it, I think the other issue was that ability checks were too easy for anyone with decent stats. 17 or lower on a d20 is like, over 70% chance of success, right?
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

reverenddak wrote:I've tried a few systems. The hardest thing is getting out of the "High" is always better thinking.
This always messed up my more casual players who don't memorize rulebooks. I had several who could never remember when to roll high or when to roll low, and it was always a bummer when they would celebrate a roll only to find out it was a bad one.
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman

Return to “Rules discussion”