Halflings mostly weak sauce?

For DCC RPG rules discussion. Includes rules questions and ideas, new rules suggestions, homebrews and hacks, conversions to other systems, and everything else rules-related.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

PeelSeel2
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Halflings mostly weak sauce?

Post by PeelSeel2 »

Halflings seem weak compared to other classes. Anybody have any experience with them in higher level play tests?
Karaptis
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Re: Halflings mostly weak sauce?

Post by Karaptis »

Tell that to my mage who the party's halfling blew some renewable luck for after he botched a spell!
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

The halfling is weak on his own, but when his Luck score is combined with the rest of the party, he becomes "the ultimate team player." I have seen halfling characters save an entire party on multiple occasions. That "good luck charm" ability, when used at the right time, can swing an entire encounter - push an attack roll over the edge, combine with spell burn to make an awesome spell check, save the rogue that has already burned his Luck surviving traps, etc.
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
smathis
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by smathis »

The Two Weapon Fighting is pretty good for the Halfling too. Not only does he get two attacks but he has a better probability of rolling a crit and far less chance of rolling a fumble than the other classes. When we played DCC, the Halfling did just fine. His abilities weren't as flashy as the Spells or Attack Die the other classes get. But he wasn't weak sauce at all.
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

J.R.R. Tolkien wrote:"I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led. And through the air. I am he that walks unseen. I am the clue-finder, the web-cutter, the stinging fly. I was chosen for the lucky number. I am he that buries his friends alive and drowns them and draws them alive again from the water. I came from the end of bag, but no bag went over me. I am the friend of bears and the guest of eagles. I am Ring-winner and Luckwearer; and I am Barrel-rider."
Would have been a fun easter egg to include a barrel-riding profession for the 0-level halflings.

//H
The lucky guy who got to write some Dungeon Crawl Classics.

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.
reverenddak

Post by reverenddak »

No way man. Halflings are ninjas with their bonus stealth, two-weapon fighting and luck!
Reverend Dakota Jesus Ultimak, S.S.M.o.t.S.M.S., D.M.

(Dungeon) Master In Chief of Crawl! fanzine. - http://www.crawlfanzine.com/

"[...] there is no doubt that Dungeons and Dragons and its imitators are right out of the pit of hell." - William Schnoebelen, Straight talk on Dungeons & Dragons
caveman
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by caveman »

I haven't played with it yet, but I've thought of giving halflings a couple extras, like Luck bonus to AC (probably a bit much), and allowing double throws for daggers darts and rocks. Also one "Lucky" skill chosen from the thief list.
PeelSeel2
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by PeelSeel2 »

caveman wrote:I haven't played with it yet, but I've thought of giving halflings a couple extras, like Luck bonus to AC (probably a bit much), and allowing double throws for daggers darts and rocks. Also one "Lucky" skill chosen from the thief list.
I was actually considering giving them choice of 4 thief skills at thief bonuses. Either that or come up with some additional 'skills' for halflings.

But....since I have never actually played, I will play it straight till we need to tweak.

Return to “Rules discussion”