The Golden Lion Rule

For DCC RPG rules discussion. Includes rules questions and ideas, new rules suggestions, homebrews and hacks, conversions to other systems, and everything else rules-related.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

The Golden Lion Rule

Post by Raven_Crowking »

First significant house rule:

GOLDEN LION RULE: (Named for Jad-Bal-Ja in the Tarzan series): For important pets and animal companions, each time the owner levels, the creature gains a new hit die of the same type. Note that the Judge has final say as to what is a significant animal, but it generally revolves around whether or not the creature is participatory in the game.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
shadewest
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Re: The Golden Lion Rule

Post by shadewest »

I'd make sure the companion has at least one less hit die than the "master" PC. Other than that, I like it. The elf in my group tamed a wolf last night, so I'll be putting it to use.
...unless the judge rules otherwise.

Steven Thivierge
Playtester and additional design for:DCC RPG.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

shadewest wrote:I'd make sure the companion has at least one less hit die than the "master" PC. Other than that, I like it. The elf in my group tamed a wolf last night, so I'll be putting it to use.
That's not a bad idea, but I would increase the hit dice from 0-lvl to 1st lvl in the event that the creature is starting equipment. Remember that increases in hit dice just mean that the thing is going to survive longer; I am not suggesting an increase to damage, attack bonus, etc.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
Tortog
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Tortog »

Raven_Crowking wrote:First significant house rule:

GOLDEN LION RULE: (Named for Jad-Bal-Ja in the Tarzan series): For important pets and animal companions, each time the owner levels, the creature gains a new hit die of the same type. Note that the Judge has final say as to what is a significant animal, but it generally revolves around whether or not the creature is participatory in the game.
I like this idea. This subject has been the center of discussion in my play testing group lately, but centered on familiars. How would your rule intersect with the rules for familiars, or would the Golden Lion rule only apply to non-familars? Or, is this something that falls under the 'Judge has final say' category?
Raven_Crowking wrote: That's not a bad idea, but I would increase the hit dice from 0-lvl to 1st lvl in the event that the creature is starting equipment. Remember that increases in hit dice just mean that the thing is going to survive longer; I am not suggesting an increase to damage, attack bonus, etc.
I was wondering at your reasons for not allowing some sort of increase in the saves and attacks? It stands to reason that if you want the critter to survive longer, then it should at least get some kind of advantage to saves. Just curious... :D
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Tortog wrote:How would your rule intersect with the rules for familiars, or would the Golden Lion rule only apply to non-familars? Or, is this something that falls under the 'Judge has final say' category?
Judge has final say.
Tortog wrote:I was wondering at your reasons for not allowing some sort of increase in the saves and attacks? It stands to reason that if you want the critter to survive longer, then it should at least get some kind of advantage to saves. Just curious... :D
I don't want the dogs to outshine their owners.
SoBH pbp:

Karaptis
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Karaptis »

Raven_Crowking wrote:First significant house rule:

A freakin War Pig! ..... Just like witches at black masses!!! :twisted:
SYKOJAK
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by SYKOJAK »

Dude, I so now want a War Pig! Talk about your most valuable follower. The War Pig takes some damage, you get some strips of bacon!
There comes a point in time when it all comes down to the roll of a die!
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

You guys sure you didn't play in my campaign in the 1970's? I had a player who not only bought an attack pig, but every village he visited he would talk to blacksmiths about making some pig-barding. Armored attack pig? Argh. :roll:
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman

Return to “Rules discussion”