Questions about Random Selection of Starting Spells

For DCC RPG rules discussion. Includes rules questions and ideas, new rules suggestions, homebrews and hacks, conversions to other systems, and everything else rules-related.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

mattstaggs
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Questions about Random Selection of Starting Spells

Post by mattstaggs »

I've been reading the magic section of the rules, and I noted that each time a wizard gains a new spell it is chosen at random unless he or she discovered it through adventuring. I'm having trouble trying to parse together how one chooses these random spells. I'm looking at table 5-8, and first level spells are numbered 1 to 27. How the heck do I roll that?

Anyone who can tell me how these random spells are generated would have my deepest appreciation. I'm hoping to run my first game very soon.
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Re: Questions about Random Selection of Starting Spells

Post by goodmangames »

You don't own a d27? For shame!!! ;)

Just roll a d30 and drop results above 27. For a while I had that table set to a nice even die multiple but had a hard time self-editing when I had more good ideas for spells!

Also, note the bit on what to do if a wizard gets a useless selection of spells. It's in the section on randomly determining spells. It happened to me in actual play once...while "random spells" sounds great in theory, the player with four spells with absolutely no application to the adventure at hand does not have fun!
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
PeelSeel2
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by PeelSeel2 »

I roll d30, results of 28-30, player gets to pick!
grinnock
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by grinnock »

That's actually a fantastic idea. I might have to steal it. Zomg, you crit my table!
My blog, full of OSR goodness, monsters, and session reports: Carapace King

Return to “Rules discussion”