Initiative

For DCC RPG rules discussion. Includes rules questions and ideas, new rules suggestions, homebrews and hacks, conversions to other systems, and everything else rules-related.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Galadrin
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Initiative

Post by Galadrin »

I don't remember seeing it in the rule book, but is initiative dynamic or static? Do the players roll every new round or just at the beginning?
shadewest
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Re: Initiative

Post by shadewest »

It's static, once at the beginning of combat.
...unless the judge rules otherwise.

Steven Thivierge
Playtester and additional design for:DCC RPG.
caveman
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by caveman »

Because combat goes so quickly i have been doing initiative round by round. This goes well with the randomized nature of dcc combat.
Ive been considering moving to side initiative, since it more or less works out that way. Im thinking of having he with the highest mod roll for the pcs.
Galadrin
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Galadrin »

Is anyone considering a player-facing DC system? I.E. players declare their actions and judge declares monster actions. If any monster action conflicts with a player action, the player must roll initiative vs. (10 + Init. Modifier) DC in order to get his action off first. So if the second level warrior (Agility 11) was going to hack an Android (Init. -2) in the Denethix sewers, and the Android was going to chuck the damsel he is carrying over his head into the incinerator, the warrior dices 1d20+2 versus DC 8 to see if he makes it in time. The same would go if the Android was going to attack the warrior (to see who gets to roll their attack first).
shadewest
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by shadewest »

First, the example is Awesome. Not bad, but a lot of people don't like games with a separate declaration phase. I like the idea of being able to interrupt an action, though. We could roll initiative as normal, but interrupt by making a roll as galadrin suggests. The action die is reduced by one step for the interrupting action, and the character adjusts his initiative count.
...unless the judge rules otherwise.

Steven Thivierge
Playtester and additional design for:DCC RPG.
jason.richardson
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by jason.richardson »

shadewest wrote:It's static, once at the beginning of combat.
I don't see this stated in the rules, would you mind pointing me to the page?

I believe the rule is left out and not clarified because each group can run the initiative however they like, static or dynamic. Personally, I'm in the dynamic camp.
TheNobleDrake
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by TheNobleDrake »

Initiative isn't explicitly called out as being rolled just once, or being rolled every round... but the implications made are for just once, since the overview given is a "combat overview" and not a "combat round overview."

I myself see merit to both ways... but prefer static initiative because I have always found rolling initiative to break the pace of an encounter, which I find to be a net loss despite the variety gained by dynamic initiative.
Colin

Post by Colin »

TheNobleDrake wrote:I myself see merit to both ways... but prefer static initiative because I have always found rolling initiative to break the pace of an encounter, which I find to be a net loss despite the variety gained by dynamic initiative.
This is how I view it too. Once at the start, and let's get on with it. :)

Colin

Return to “Rules discussion”