Using missile fire weapon when engaged into melee

For DCC RPG rules discussion. Includes rules questions and ideas, new rules suggestions, homebrews and hacks, conversions to other systems, and everything else rules-related.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

BaophraT
Hard-Bitten Adventurer
FLGS: Rann sevenadurel ti Leclerc Kemper (a-barzh 2023)

Using missile fire weapon when engaged into melee

Post by BaophraT »

Greetings,

When a character uses a fire missile weapon while engaged in melee combat, how do you handle the situation ? Is it possible to fire a crossbow at an opponent in contact ? And, if so, what malus should be applied ?

I allowed a roll with a -1d malus on the dice chain. Maybe I was too conciliatory...
Ar gwir c'hoarierien a daol diñsoù !
CapnZapp
Hard-Bitten Adventurer
FLGS: Book

Re: Using missile fire weapon when engaged into melee

Post by CapnZapp »

I have ruled that attempting to make a missile attack when engaged in melee triggers a free attack from the monster(s). If a monster hits you this stops the missile attack from happening (it counts as a miss; you should be glad I don't have the monster ruin your missile weapon...)

#saynotoLegolasNinja

Small quick attacks are exempt from this rule. This includes daggers, throwing stars, hand crossbows and the like where skilled characters just "flick a wrist" to make their attack. This they can do even when engaged in melee (both against their opponent and somebody else).
BaophraT
Hard-Bitten Adventurer
FLGS: Rann sevenadurel ti Leclerc Kemper (a-barzh 2023)

Re: Using missile fire weapon when engaged into melee

Post by BaophraT »

Afterwards, I had also thought about the possibility of a free attack from the opponent. I will use your method ! It's funny to see how the rules get more refined as you play more modules... That's also why I like DCC.
Ar gwir c'hoarierien a daol diñsoù !

Return to “Rules discussion”