[Request] Alternate Spell System

DCC has inspired many folks to produce their own supplements and adventures for the game. This is the place for discussion of all 3PP products for DCC RPG.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Aplus
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

[Request] Alternate Spell System

Post by Aplus »

I think it would be cool to have an inexpensive digest booklet with a complete but simplified spell set. Here are my ideas:

* no more than 12 spells per level for wizards and 8 per level for clerics (I.e. 100 total spells or less)
* each spell takes up a single page (which is actually a half-page since it's a digest booklet).
* only maybe 3 or 4 levels of success
* no custom corruption per spell. Just maybe a corruption table for level 1-2 spells, another for level 3-4, and one for 5th.
* mostly standard D&D spells from the OGL, but maybe 1-3 unique ones per level, just to spice it up a bit.

I would love to do this myself, but I'm not super-creative, and I'd probably never get it finished. If someone else made it, I'd totally buy it.

I love the DCC spells. They are very rich and creative and fun. That being said, I still get hung up on the logistics of managing players' spellbooks and spell lookups. I'd love to have a more streamlined alternative.

Anyone else feel the same?
Check out my DCC Resources Page for cool stuff!
sheriffharry
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Re: [Request] Alternate Spell System

Post by sheriffharry »

Ok with that idea!
Now simplifying the actual magic system for your campaign is quite easy:
1) Print out the whole magic section.
2) Take a black marker pen and remove what you think is superfluous (spells/effects/successes/corruptions/etc).
3) et voilà! you have a brand-new simplified magic system!
(you might have to add that rule: "if that result/effect is crossed-out, see below/above")

Return to “DCC RPG Third Party Publishers”