Thick Skull Adventures

DCC has inspired many folks to produce their own supplements and adventures for the game. This is the place for discussion of all 3PP products for DCC RPG.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

ThickSkullAdv
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Re: Thick Skull Adventures

Post by ThickSkullAdv »

Hey guys, just checking in with an update.

The writing for Haunting of Larvik Island DCC is complete and been going through the rounds of playtesting. The new artwork has come in (have a few new "playout handout graphics!) and I've done my version of the layout, and will be handing the big pile of InDesign files and artwork to her this weekend for final layout. I will probably do one more round of proofreading.

I'm off on another week-long biz trip soon, but I expect that I'll be publishing late June or early July depending on how quickly Cat turns around the layout.

I'm also 1/3 the way through the writing of a standalone project and 4/5 through writing of Larvik 2.

Thanks to all the proofreaders and playtesters in the forums that have already given feedback :)
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Very much looking forward to this one.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
ragboy
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by ragboy »

ThickSkullAdv wrote:
The writing for Haunting of Larvik Island DCC is complete and been going through the rounds of playtesting.

I'm also 1/3 the way through the writing of a standalone project and 4/5 through writing of Larvik 2.
Badass.
ThickSkullAdv wrote: Thanks to all the proofreaders and playtesters in the forums that have already given feedback :)
Let me know if you need more of either. I have a regular group going weekly now and I'm more than happy to edit/proofread.
AKA Paul Wolfe
The Mystic Bull: Check out our two FREE prehistoric adventures: The Steading of the Nergalites AND The Tribe of Ogg and the Gift of Suss
In the Prison of the Squid Sorcerer (PDF) and softcover: 12 Short Adventures for DCC!
The God-Seed Awakens: 3rd Level Adventure for DCC. New patron, new spells, lots of new monsters and the living weapons of the Empire of Thal!
My Gamer Profile
Hrevelax
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Hrevelax »

Sorry to hear about all the bad stuff you were going through. I can't say I understand completely what you went through but something like that really can derail you. Glad to hear you're back on track!

I'm really looking forward to running Attack of the Frawgs at Gam3rcon!!
ThickSkullAdv
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by ThickSkullAdv »

Hrevelax wrote:Sorry to hear about all the bad stuff you were going through. I can't say I understand completely what you went through but something like that really can derail you. Glad to hear you're back on track!

I'm really looking forward to running Attack of the Frawgs at Gam3rcon!!
Thanks Hrevelax. I'm doing much better this summer, thank you. While I don't think you ever 100% recover from something like that, I'm in a much healthier space.

I'm really looking forward to sitting with your group at Gam3rCon. I know my ComicCon buddy is really hoping to get into that game so if there's any strings you can pull to make sure he get's signed up for the Friday night session I'd appreciate it. Not sure where the sign up sheet will be, but as we'll be coming straight from ComicCon we won't be there until about 6ish.

See you soon!
-S-
ThickSkullAdv
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by ThickSkullAdv »

Where in the Hell is Larvik DCC?

So, the multiple delays on this project is one of the prime reasons why I’m so hesitant to use Kickstarter to fund one of these adventures. If you guys had ponied up your hard earned coppers back in Feb when I thought I was close to completion I’d be feeling really guilty right now. Instead, I just feel like I’m dragging ass.

Still, there are good (and not so good) reasons for the delays. But here’s the latest.

The Haunting of Larvik Island DCC RPG went out to Cat for final layout about a month ago (which was about a month later than I would’ve liked.) Sadly, in that time, Cat had some personal medical issues which prevented her from being able to do her typical magic. She transferred back to me all the assets she had done, however, including the new cover with Tony’s art (which looks fabulous). I’ve received these files and have started to integrate them back into the module. All the maps were completed by Jeffrey Tadlock (of Iron Tavern and Spellburn podcast fame) with amazing turnaround time, so we’re good there.

In that time, I’ve also received a big pile of proofreading suggestions from Jon Marr from Purple Sorcerer. His comments are great, so I’ve started incorporating his feedback. I only have one more graphic to add, and Jon has also said that if I need help creating that, he can assist.

I have Friday off from work so…

Bottom line: Assuming that graphic comes in (from either Cat or Jon) I hope to have the “To Be Approved By Joseph Goodman” draft out to Mr. Goodman sometime next week!

This one has been a long road folks, and I appreciate your patience.

I suppose the other glimmer of good news is: as I’ve been going through this process I’m already ½ way through writing “Unannounced Adventure”, and will get back into finishing Larvik 2 (which is 2/3 done) so hopefully the followup adventure will take less than 12 months.
Skars
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Skars »

Great to hear there is progress and life happens to the best project managers! I'm definitely looking forward to seeing the finished product with all the new artwork (drool).
ThickSkullAdv
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by ThickSkullAdv »

Cross posting here, just in case anyone is following this thread :)

And again... I want to thank everyone who has been so patient and supportive over the last 12 months. This project took much longer than expected given all the personal-life stuff that was going on for me in 2012-2013. Despite all that, everyone has been really patient in terms of timelines and expectations. I'm really going to push myself to get on a "one module every 9 months" schedule. I think that's reasonable and I also have some ideas for short one-shot's to be considered for Crawl! or DAMN!.

Thanks again, all!
-S-

It seems to have taken forever, but I'm pleased to finally announce that Haunting of Larvik Island is now available for your Dungeon Crawl Classic RPG gaming pleasure!

For centuries the legendary exploits of the mighty warlord Larvik have inspired storytellers and adventurers. Despite his glory, Larvik’s fortunes were lost in the war between his sons following his death. What remains of his legacy is a dangerous island bearing his name and the legend of its treasure accessible only once every 35 years.

That time is at hand! Will your party be stout enough to explore the island, defeat both natural beasts and lost souls, and decipher the mysterious markers Larvik left behind? Will you uncover the lost caverns before time runs out and the secret is hidden for another generation, or will you merely become another footnote in the history of the many who have fallen never to return chasing the legend of Larvik Island?

The Haunting of Larvik Island is a level 1 DCC RPG adventure which includes a rich history of the island, over a dozen new monsters, detailed encounter notes, and player handout illustrations to help judges bring the adventure alive on game night. The adventure also contains a summary of important locations, NPCs and myths allowing the judges to easily customize the adventure for their own campaign setting.

Written By: Stephen Newton
Front Cover & Player Handout Artwork: Antoni Layos Tira
Cartography: Jeffrey Tadlock, Antoni Layos Tira
Interior Illustrations, Graphic Design and Layout: Catherine Harkins
Pages: 34

PDF version available at RPGNow.com
Print version: coming Oct 2013.
Pesky
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Pesky »

Yay! Congrats on pushing through the long haul! I'm off to buy it... :D
Terry Olson
ThickSkullAdv
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by ThickSkullAdv »

And for those of you following this thread, I am pleased to announce the availability of Stronghold of the Wood Giant Shaman. All the details can be found over in this post. Thanks!
Attachments
Shaman Cover 200.jpg
Shaman Cover 200.jpg (41.75 KiB) Viewed 19344 times

Return to “DCC RPG Third Party Publishers”