Goodman Games

Fan Forums
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:06 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: So ... I Want to be a Third Party Publisher
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:14 pm 
Ill-Fated Peasant

I would like to write, publish, and sell a third-party DCC supplement. How exactly would this work? Is it open like D&D 3e, or is there a fee?

Post subject: Re: So ... I Want to be a Third Party Publisher
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:19 pm 
Cold-Hearted Immortal

must be approved by Goodman to get access to publish under the license.

RoM pbp:
Hamun Ry (Wiz 4)
Str 10 Agi 15 (+1) Sta 11 Per 11 Int 17 (+2) Luc 10 (Unholy House). Align: C. AC: 14. HP: 13. Melee +1, Ranged +2. Crit: d8, I. Save: Ref +5, Fort +3, Will +4.
Spells: 1: Choking Cloud, Comprehend Languages, Detect Magic (odd crystal growths), Magic Missile (mirror images), Runic Alphabet (Mortal) (ravenously hungry), Ventriloquism (rain of frogs)
2: Detect Invisible, Levitate (extremely difficult, d14), Mirror Image (20% chance to raise/lower luck by 1d3 points).
Equip: Ring of the Sand Djinn: +2 AC/saves, Invisibility for 1min/spellburn point, or unmake for great, unknown effect. Padded Armor, Longsword, Longbow, quiver w/20 steel-tipped arrows, 10 silver-tipped arrows, backpack, spellbook, quill and ink, sturdy parchment (10 sheets), 5 days rations, high leather boots, belt w/ belt pouch, gray robe, dark gray hooded cloak. Also carries 3 small mechanical toys: wind-up mouse, wooden puzzle cube, small jewelry box that plays a little tune.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:20 pm 
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

does that apply to fan made stuff that is free?

--from deep night comes the cruciferiouz king!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:58 pm 
Cold-Hearted Immortal

I think you might be okay with free stuff -- but you probably should check with Mr. Goodman, depending on what exactly it is, and how you want to present it...

You certainly shouldn't use the logo, without getting a license...

Gnome Boy (a.k.a. "Jon") • DCC play-tester @ DDC 35, Feb 2011. • Beta DL 2111, 7:00 AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since 1977 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters - Holds the power to play gnomes at will!

Here Be DCC Monsters...

General Yoros, Warrior, Str 13, Agl 8 (10), Stm 17, Per 13, Int 11, Lck 8; Law, HP 39, AC 17, R+2, F+4, W+2, band/shld, warhammer, longsword, longbow, pitchfork

Han Dee, (Weaver) Neutral Thief, Str 10, Agi 13, Stm 11, Per 11, Int 15, Lck 14, AC 13 (Leather), HP 25, Luck Die d6, Backstab 3, Sneak Silently 10, Hide In Shadows 9, Pick Pocket 10, Climb Sheer 10, Pick Lock 9, Find Trap 9, Disable Trap 9, Forge Doc 10, Disguise 3, Read Lang 5, Handle Poison 3, Cast Scroll d14+2, birth augur (Born under the loom) +1 to all skill checks (including thief skills), Banepicks (auto pick lock/disable trap, but lose 1d3 random ability loss, if a 3 then 1 pt is perm)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:11 am 
Cold-Hearted Immortal

What GnomeBoy said.

RoM pbp:
Hamun Ry (Wiz 4)
Str 10 Agi 15 (+1) Sta 11 Per 11 Int 17 (+2) Luc 10 (Unholy House). Align: C. AC: 14. HP: 13. Melee +1, Ranged +2. Crit: d8, I. Save: Ref +5, Fort +3, Will +4.
Spells: 1: Choking Cloud, Comprehend Languages, Detect Magic (odd crystal growths), Magic Missile (mirror images), Runic Alphabet (Mortal) (ravenously hungry), Ventriloquism (rain of frogs)
2: Detect Invisible, Levitate (extremely difficult, d14), Mirror Image (20% chance to raise/lower luck by 1d3 points).
Equip: Ring of the Sand Djinn: +2 AC/saves, Invisibility for 1min/spellburn point, or unmake for great, unknown effect. Padded Armor, Longsword, Longbow, quiver w/20 steel-tipped arrows, 10 silver-tipped arrows, backpack, spellbook, quill and ink, sturdy parchment (10 sheets), 5 days rations, high leather boots, belt w/ belt pouch, gray robe, dark gray hooded cloak. Also carries 3 small mechanical toys: wind-up mouse, wooden puzzle cube, small jewelry box that plays a little tune.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:39 pm 
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

if I ever get one of my module ideas together theres no way I could label it DCC compatible. Here's the problem I'm seeing: it'd be dependent on a product that isn't DCC, The Book of War. If I'd label it i'd be something crazy like:

10% The Book of War
90% DCC Rpg

I guess it be better to say:

Requires The Book of War and DCC Rpg to play.

that'z not the same as saying that its DCC compatible is it?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:29 pm 
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

dark cauliflower wrote:
If I'd label it i'd be something crazy like:

10% The Book of War
90% DCC Rpg

I guess it be better to say:

Requires The Book of War and DCC Rpg to play.

that'z not the same as saying that its DCC compatible is it?
Personally, where I to do a module that was meant for use with those two books, I would label it thusly:

Intended for use with the Dungeon Crawl Classics RPG and the Book of War

I would also do what it takes to have it use the DCC compatible logo, and make sure to mention in the introduction portion of the module how one would locate and acquire the book of war (plus a basic summary of what to do if they can't/won't/don't want to and still want to use the module).

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:02 pm 
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

somthing like:

Get the darn Book of War in pdf or print at Lulu!:
http://www.lulu.com/shop/daniel-collins ... 91327.html
http://www.lulu.com/us/en/shop/daniel-c ... 58134.html

I hope I don't need a Book of War compatibility sticker!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:35 pm 
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

I wrote a long post about this on my blog a couple of months back which some folks have told me has been helpful. It's appropriately entitled...

So you want to write an RPG module

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:29 pm 

To use the Compatible with DCC RPG logo, you need a licence. It's free, just contact Goodman Games, read the contract, understand & ask questions if needed, sign, and you're done. Then submit your product for approval, and if it gets approved, you're golden. The main caveat is that it MUST BE GOOD for Goodman Games to approve it. What is good is subject to Goodman Games ideas of what is good. Their standards are high, as they should be.

On that note, DCC RPG falls under the OGL licence, so you're allowed to use any open materials that are OGL in your own product as long as you follow the OGL yourself. This includes supplementary things and options. I believe the Book of War also falls under the OGL, so you can release something with the "intent" to be used with both, but I highly doubt you'll be able to get or use the Compatible with DCC RPG license. But it doesn't stop you from "telling" people. But in an official nature, you shouldn't. Your best bet, if you don't get the "Compatible with DCC RPG" license, is to make it pretty generic OGL and release it as such.

Ultimately, becoming a 3PP is WAY BEYOND the scope of a forum post and their replies. I started small, and I'm still small. But I've managed to see several hundred copies of my zines, so it's not impossible. Research, research, understand your market, research, work, work, work, and have fun.

(Dungeon) Master In Chief of Crawl! fanzine. - http://www.crawlfanzine.com/

"[...] there is no doubt that Dungeons and Dragons and its imitators are right out of the pit of hell." - William Schnoebelen, Straight talk on Dungeons & Dragons

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:17 am 
Wild-Eyed Zealot

If I can be of any help having been through the process please contact me.

Kind regards

Sean connors

Team leader patrons book....