(BHP) Appendix N Adventure Toolkits KICKSTARTER IS LIVE!

DCC has inspired many folks to produce their own supplements and adventures for the game. This is the place for discussion of all 3PP products for DCC RPG.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

RevTurkey
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Re: (BHP) Appendix N Adventure Toolkits KICKSTARTER IS LIVE!

Post by RevTurkey »

We are past $6000!

I wonder if that box is possible?
Playing since about 1980
Latest games: DCC RPG of course!
Quote I like: "I am on a computer therfore I am" (Alan Plater)
Ravenheart87
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ravenheart87 »

RevTurkey wrote:We are past $6000!

Awesome news! And we almost reached 200 backers too.
Vorpal Mace: a humble rpg blog with some DCC-related stuff.
GreyM
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by GreyM »

RevTurkey wrote:We are past $6000!

BOX?!?!?! I'm wondering if the The Old Isle is possible :D
Outsiders68
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Outsiders68 »

It's going to be close?

Personally I would be happy to hit 10'000 , let's see.

Fingers crossed.
TheNobleDrake
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by TheNobleDrake »

I am very sad that I will only be able to contribute $20, if I manage to find any cash to contribute at all, as I would love to see this project hit every last one of its stretch goals...

Why do all these awesome things have to go on Kickstarter at the same time, and why does that time have to be when my gaming budget is pretty much spent?
Coleston the Cavalier
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Coleston the Cavalier »

I am already happy. :)
John Adams
Black Dougal
Deft-Handed Cutpurse
FLGS: Total Escape Games, Broomfield CO

Post by Black Dougal »

I am happy also! :-)

I would like to have "The Old Isle" however. If we don't manage to make it to $15,000 I hope John puts it out in general release at some point.
"The Black Dougal" (formerly known as dkeester) -- DCCRPG Fan Boy since 2010
DCCRPG PC Death Toll: 25

DCCRPG Playtests: Tacticon 2010, GenghisCon 2011, Tacticon 2011, GenghisCon 2012
Member: The DCC Expendables (Denver, CO)

Doug may very well hold the dubious title of “most DCC RPG PCs lost during the course of convention play.”
--Harley Stroh
bholmes4
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by bholmes4 »

Black Dougal wrote:I am happy also! :-)

I would like to have "The Old Isle" however. If we don't manage to make it to $15,000 I hope John puts it out in general release at some point.
Same, or uses it as an incentive on the next Kickstarter (maybe at a lower goal point).

The only reason I see it being difficult is the sheer number of backers it will need when most won't go over $20.
IronWolf
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by IronWolf »

bholmes4 wrote: The only reason I see it being difficult is the sheer number of backers it will need when most won't go over $20.
Yeah, I think that could make it difficult. When Goblinworks did their KS for the MMO, the sweet spot seemed to be the $100 mark. That was the level where a lot of the perks were being thrown. In the final days you saw a lot of people moving from from the lower tiers to the $100 tier because of the stretch goals.

Dropping the Old Isle up at a higher tier might convince more people to up their current amount to get to that point.
Black Dougal
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Black Dougal »

bholmes4 wrote:
Black Dougal wrote:I am happy also! :-)

Same, or uses it as an incentive on the next Kickstarter (maybe at a lower goal point).

The only reason I see it being difficult is the sheer number of backers it will need when most won't go over $20.
Well, it is now over 200 backers. 129 of them are backing at the $20 level. So, your point is well made. Hopefully some of those people will up their pledges.

I guess it also depends on what the saturation point for backers is on a project like this. There are 200 now. How many more can it get?

DCCRPG Playtests: Tacticon 2010, GenghisCon 2011, Tacticon 2011, GenghisCon 2012

Doug may very well hold the dubious title of “most DCC RPG PCs lost during the course of convention play.”
--Harley Stroh
Ravenheart87
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ravenheart87 »

Coleston the Cavalier wrote:I am already happy. :)
A happy halfling is the best luck charm for the party. :)
Vanguard
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Vanguard »

I'm confident we'll see the 10k goal hit. 15k is certainly possible but it's going to require a more concentrated social media campaign from all of the current backers. DCC RPG is getting a lot of good press right now, and a lot of people are picking the books up, but without someone to tip them off about the best deal on Kickstarter, that final goal is going to be a little harder to reach.
My Gaming Blog: The Earthlight Academy
http://earthlightacademy.blogspot.com/
meinvt
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by meinvt »

After the first day I thought the project was going to really need to stretch for the $10,000 goal. Now I'd agree that one looks quite achievable and the $15,000 goal is within reach. No need to get pessimistic now.
TheNobleDrake
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by TheNobleDrake »

I have to say that, while I haven't pledged yet - I have the money set aside to pledge, but am giving a bit of time to make sure I haven't spaced out on some bill I have due before I commit to any spending - I want to pledge so bad, and I want to pledge every cent that I can afford...

Unfortunately I have no need or desire for copies of modules beyond the 1st... I have no other Judges known, nor potential Judges just needing a module to run for their buddies to give the extras to, and I am the type of collector that loved (before my former collection was destroyed) to sit and "count the scars" on all my old gaming materials to recall the fond memories made while those "scars" were formed... so spares that are shrink wrapped, numbered, and mint condition are "dead" to me.

Then there are the other incentives... naming something, designing a monster... having my (or a character's) name somewhere special... none of those are really incentives to me. I just don't really look at any of them and go "ooh, I'd like that."

...so I can't talk myself into pledging what I want to because anything more than a $20 pledge gets me stuff I have no use for, nor any room to store, nor any one to give to that wouldn't be in the same "I dunno... should I just throw this away or sell it on ebay or something?" boat as I would be in the first place.

Is it rude of me to say that I kind of think you made the low pledge too damn good for those of us not heavy on the collection or "my name is on it! My work is out there!" side of things?
Ravenheart87
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ravenheart87 »

$7000! Come on, we need to cough up $3000 more to get the box. If everyone icreases his or her pledge by $15, it's done! :)
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

I finally put my money where my mouth is yesterday. No pressure, John, but this digest-sized-module thing with a digest-sized box looks pretty darned awesome!
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
IronWolf
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by IronWolf »

TheNobleDrake wrote:I have to say that, while I haven't pledged yet - I have the money set aside to pledge, but am giving a bit of time to make sure I haven't spaced out on some bill I have due before I commit to any spending - I want to pledge so bad, and I want to pledge every cent that I can afford...

Unfortunately I have no need or desire for copies of modules beyond the 1st... I have no other Judges known, nor potential Judges just needing a module to run for their buddies to give the extras to, and I am the type of collector that loved (before my former collection was destroyed) to sit and "count the scars" on all my old gaming materials to recall the fond memories made while those "scars" were formed... so spares that are shrink wrapped, numbered, and mint condition are "dead" to me.

Then there are the other incentives... naming something, designing a monster... having my (or a character's) name somewhere special... none of those are really incentives to me. I just don't really look at any of them and go "ooh, I'd like that."

...so I can't talk myself into pledging what I want to because anything more than a $20 pledge gets me stuff I have no use for, nor any room to store, nor any one to give to that wouldn't be in the same "I dunno... should I just throw this away or sell it on ebay or something?" boat as I would be in the first place.

Is it rude of me to say that I kind of think you made the low pledge too damn good for those of us not heavy on the collection or "my name is on it! My work is out there!" side of things?
The $20 mark on this Kickstarter is the sweet spot right now. You get a lot of great stuff for $20. I don't think multiple copies and names in the book entices the current backers at $20 to increase their pledge. I think at this point that is what the goal should be, enticing current backers to increase their existing pledge instead of trying to get more $20 backers.

Looking at Paizo's recent kickstarter and they sort of did this. It seemed the lower dollar amounts were the sweet spots when the kickstarter opened. Then the $50 mark. Then they started getting some big names to autograph things at the $75 level. And then in the tail end they threw in the flipmats to the $100 level which already had the t-shirt. They effectively got people in at the lower amounts and then started making the higher (but still affordable) levels more attractive. I know this strategy got me to kick my level of contribution up on that project.

I haven't pledged to this one yet, I intend to do so. At the moment I will go in for the $20 amount, but if I see something that makes one of the higher dollar amounts become the more sweet spot to be in, then I can see myself jumping in at the higher level.

In either case, I am looking forward to this one and will be keeping an eye on it!
Ynas Midgard
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Ynas Midgard »

I just became a backer - this project looks awesome!
Coleston the Cavalier
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

I have one last extra that might entire some of the $20 pledge level folks to increase to higher level - though do not have anywhere near the resources Paizo has for extras. I may reveal it this evening.
John Adams
Ravenheart87
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ravenheart87 »

$8027, 258 backers. We have 19 days left.
primarch
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by primarch »

Ravenheart87 wrote:$8027, 258 backers. We have 19 days left.
Hi!

I figured that's about 729 dollars a day. If that held it would easily surpass the 15000 needed. Although the daily average is probably decreasing every day it still looks like the goal can be reasonably met.

Of course if they offer a nice incentive at a higher pledge then they'd reach it much, much sooner.

Taking a thought on the thread about dice, if they offered a matching set of all the dice required for DCC at say a 40-50 dollar point. I think it be there by tomorrow. :lol:

Primarch
Black Dougal
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Black Dougal »

Coleston the Cavalier wrote:I have one last extra that might entire some of the $20 pledge level folks to increase to higher level - though do not have anywhere near the resources Paizo has for extras. I may reveal it this evening.
You mean there might be more? I didn't think it could get any better. :D

--Harley Stroh
RevTurkey
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by RevTurkey »

A dice set? I already upped my pledge but this might get me to stump up again!

A Black with Gold Spots set of DCC dice would be sooo cool :D

I'm already super happy with this kickstarter though.

Did anybody post on any forums?

I did at Enworld and I think it definately helped. That is the only other forum I can remember how to log in to :D

Dragonsfoot, WoTC and rpg.net might be worth a punt, has this been done?
Playing since about 1980
Latest games: DCC RPG of course!
Quote I like: "I am on a computer therfore I am" (Alan Plater)
IronWolf
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by IronWolf »

I can work up a DCC themed kickstarter post for The Iron Tavern over the next couple of days. I have interest in seeing this one and the iPad app Purple Sorcerer is trying to get kickstarted succeed. That should draw in a bit more attention as I tend to tap into the Twitter and Google+ social media scenes a bit.
Coleston the Cavalier
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

I have made an update to the Kickstarter today:

Wow! Three weeks ago, if you would have told me we would be close to hitting the fourth Bonus Goal in less than two weeks, I would not have believed you! Thanks you so much for your support in helping launch this new line of digest adventures in support of the DCC RPG! As another way for me to say, “Thank you,” I will be sending every supporter a free pdf detailing the god Ramat - his faith, teachings, rituals, spells and holy items. :) This will go out at around the same time as the first two modules ship.

Lots of folks have asked me why I set the “sweet spot” for this Kickstarter so low ($20) and how could I possibly be making any money off of it? That is a fair question and I would like to answer it here. In my 4+ years of hobby publishing I have learned a few things by trial and effort, by researching the industry, and by making many mistakes. This new line is exactly the kind of products I love to create! And this Kickstarter will enable me to create each of them in the quantities and at the level of quality I desire for them. For the first couple of years of BHP, I was able to fund projects out of my own pocket. But like so many people in our culture, I ended up being unemployed and underemployed for 13 of the last 24 months - and that reduced my ability to fund new projects. On the bright side, as our budget became tighter and tighter, my family and I have ended up spending more and more time playing games around the kitchen table. I know other families have as well. Times are still hard for many people. Each of these digest modules will retail anywhere from $5.95 to $8.95 (depending upon their size) and provide a session or two of gaming. That is very affordable. My goal for this Kickstarter has never been about making as much money as possible. Honestly, I am not sure using Kickstarter that way is very ethical. No, from the beginning, my goal has been to raise enough money to get this new line of products going and I am more than happy to provide all the modules and bonus goals in this Kickstarter to supporters at a greatly reduced rate (compared to the retail price) as my way of thanking them for providing me with the funds to release these modules in the quantities and at the level of quality they deserve.

With that said, I know that everyone wants to get as much for their money from this Kickstarter as possible and that means hitting as many Bonus Goals as possible. Folks know this kickstarter is already a fantastic deal and the current sweet spot for most supporters is $20. As a way of helping us hit the last two Bonus Goals, I will give copies of the first 8 Appendix N Adventure Options pdfs (detailed below) to every supporter who pledges $30 or more! This includes anyone who upgrades their pledge to $30 or more too.

Appendix N Adventure Options pdfs:
Something I did not even consider when I was putting together this Kickstarter is how BHP will also be supporting the DCC RPG with little pdf releases (in addition to the modules listed in this Kickstarter). This line of pdf-only products is called, “Appendix N Adventure Options.” BHP began as a pdf publisher putting out many pdfs in support of Labyrinth Lord, and I am going to do the exact same thing in support of the DCC RPG. Indeed, I have what I think are some unique (and very DCC RPG) takes on the optional character classes of ranger, bard and paladin. In addition, I also have an entire, pantheon of gods to be released with detailed descriptions of their faith, followers, rituals, teachings, major and minor places of worship, spells and holy items, etc. The gods of this pantheon include: Rhuynda (Withered Old Witch), Thaxson (The Just), Glenys (Wise Mother), Oska (The Goat god), Olmina (Sister Sea), Wurdyn (The Old Man), Miven (The Shameful), Shorn (The Scholar) and Valtor (The Mighty). Plus, other releases will include new magic-user spells (with single-page sheets), magic rituals, unique magic items, additional patrons, etc.

Again, thanks so much for your support and I look forward to serving your DCC RPG needs as my preferred customers for the next many months! ;)
John Adams

Return to “DCC RPG Third Party Publishers”