CRAWL! fanzine

DCC has inspired many folks to produce their own supplements and adventures for the game. This is the place for discussion of all 3PP products for DCC RPG.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Bisikoff
Far-Sighted Wanderer
FLGS: Black Diamond Games

Re: CRAWL! fanzine

Post by Bisikoff »

Ordered mine last night, after skimming my new copy of DDC. Quite looking forward to receiving it ("normal" cover notwithstanding :P ).
dunbruha
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by dunbruha »

reverenddak wrote:
dunbruha wrote:Got mine today! Looks good--I'll read it today. (btw, the black-on-black cover was a surprise!)
(Shhhh, they're special heavy metal limited edition covers that all pre-orders received. They're officially sold-out as of yesterday.)
Nice!
nstr
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by nstr »

Got mine today! Black on black is cool. All the articles are well written, short and sweet. Just the way I like it. I will probably be using some of the ideas from the skill article, but all the articles are useful and may be used. I currently plan to use the rules for mortality from Adventurer, Conquer, King with DCC. If it is too much for the players then I might end up changing it to something like in the article.

I think this fanzine is a great idea and useful for additions and variants for a game like DCC. I may have to think about creating and submitting something.

Justin
reverenddak

Post by reverenddak »

nstr wrote:Got mine today! Black on black is cool. All the articles are well written, short and sweet. Just the way I like it. I will probably be using some of the ideas from the skill article, but all the articles are useful and may be used. I currently plan to use the rules for mortality from Adventurer, Conquer, King with DCC. If it is too much for the players then I might end up changing it to something like in the article.

I think this fanzine is a great idea and useful for additions and variants for a game like DCC. I may have to think about creating and submitting something.

Justin
Thanks! I'm really focused on keeping this zine as concise as possible. It's only the first issue, and things will likely get more refined and focused as we go. I plan to keep it mostly about rules & references that are usable at the table. I'll put some toilet reading material in there, for sure. I am considering a few reviews, character write ups & game play theory. But I'm not completely sure, and if I did, it'd be minimal. We'll see. This first issue is all crunch, and lots of stuff is intended to be cut and pasted into your regular game. Now. In fact I use 4 out of 5 of the articles in my current campaign. This format is perfect at the table. Issue #2 is going to be even more useful, especially for players.

I look forward to your submission.
Reverend Dakota Jesus Ultimak, S.S.M.o.t.S.M.S., D.M.

(Dungeon) Master In Chief of Crawl! fanzine. - http://www.crawlfanzine.com/

"[...] there is no doubt that Dungeons and Dragons and its imitators are right out of the pit of hell." - William Schnoebelen, Straight talk on Dungeons & Dragons
Blood Axe
Cold-Blooded Diabolist
FLGS: The Portal

Post by Blood Axe »

I ordered mine! :D
To defend: This is the Pact.
But when life loses its value,
and is taken for naught -
then the Pact is to Avenge.
GreyM
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by GreyM »

Received mine today! After seeing the box full of them on your website (with the "normal" cover), the "pre-order" cover was definitely a surprise! Haven't had a chance to read it yet, but looking forward to it over the long weekend.
Vanguard
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Vanguard »

I got mine yesterday and was going to write it up on the blog, but I didn't have time to take a picture this morning. Instead I wrote about the inspiration for Crawl!, and the reason we all post here!

I'll give it a proper write-up once I've read it.
My Gaming Blog: The Earthlight Academy
http://earthlightacademy.blogspot.com/
crabus
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by crabus »

Got mine today too in france (sorry the newspaper is ugly but it's a "clin d'oeil" from france)
Bravo ! It's a very cool little zine.

DCCRPG Lille (france) : http://dccrpglille.blogspot.fr/
Colin

Post by Colin »

Yep, got my black-on-black gold-stickered limited edition of Crawl! today too. Beautiful little fanzine that's sure to go from strength-to-strength as the DCC RPG gains in popularity. Awesome work, Rev!

Colin
Ravenheart87
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ravenheart87 »

"Black is black. I want my baby back."

Is the next one going to be grey on grey? :) Looks cool by the way.
Vorpal Mace: a humble rpg blog with some DCC-related stuff.
Blustar
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Blustar »

Will this be available as a PDF?
Bisikoff
Far-Sighted Wanderer
FLGS: Black Diamond Games

Post by Bisikoff »

Mine arrived today. My mail person generally delivers late, so it was - surprisingly - waiting for me on my way out to grab some dinner.

Mine was the normal (not preorder) cover. A pretty good little read, and an enjoyable fanzine. I hope to see future issues!
Netherstorm
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Netherstorm »

I got mine two days ago. It is very good, I plan on working the patron in. I will probably have an 'alternate universe' young version of the wizard running around to meet the party. Very much looking forward to watching this publication grow! It is a great deal at $3.50.
Power Score: A blog about DCC RPG, D&D Next, Spelljammer, and life as a DM
Colin

Post by Colin »

Blustar wrote:Will this be available as a PDF?
IIRC, no, this is strictly an Old School style printed fanzine. He doesn't really make any money from it as it is, so selling it as a pdf would be problematic because folks would balk at buying a pdf that really wasn't much cheaper. It's already as cheap as most pdfs of similar size. Plus, having the pdf available would kind of defeat the point of it being a printed publication in this case and would definitely cut into the actual sales of the physical fanzine.

Colin
raskal
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by raskal »

I received it (in France).
Great !
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

Got my black-on-black preorder cover. Awesome! :mrgreen:

My only complaint is that the return addy on the envelope didn't give me a clue as to its content and I nearly threw it away unopened thinking it was junk mail ... then I saw the little icon on the mailing label and realized what it was. :oops:
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
DimitriX
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by DimitriX »

Hmmm...still waiting on mine. Haven't gotten my Sailors adventure yet either. I wonder if my mailman is gamer and stealing my stuff!
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

DimitriX wrote:Hmmm...still waiting on mine. Haven't gotten my Sailors adventure yet either. I wonder if my mailman is gamer and stealing my stuff!
No, that's the wrong game. In MUNCHKIN the goal is to steal each other's stuff.

In DCC the goal is all to band together and watch each other die, praying the whole time that it's the other guy who got it instead of you.

See the difference? :lol:
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
DimitriX
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by DimitriX »

finarvyn wrote:
DimitriX wrote:Hmmm...still waiting on mine. Haven't gotten my Sailors adventure yet either. I wonder if my mailman is gamer and stealing my stuff!
No, that's the wrong game. In MUNCHKIN the goal is to steal each other's stuff.

In DCC the goal is all to band together and watch each other die, praying the whole time that it's the other guy who got it instead of you.

See the difference? :lol:
I see the difference. But, my postman may be playing Munchkin and stealing my stuff!
Vanguard
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Vanguard »

I got mine last week just got to reviewing it today. Check it out:

http://earthlightacademy.blogspot.com/2 ... crawl.html
My Gaming Blog: The Earthlight Academy
http://earthlightacademy.blogspot.com/
funkaoshi
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by funkaoshi »

My pre-order made it to Toronto (along with my copy of the rule book!). I love the limited edition cover. It's very well executed. I'll have to write up about the zi e itself later. Lots of great stuff. Now to subscribe!
funkaoshi
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by funkaoshi »

A (very short) write up. (I thought i'd start a gaming blog since that seems to be the thing to do.)
Last edited by funkaoshi on Wed May 30, 2012 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blood Axe
Cold-Blooded Diabolist
FLGS: The Portal

Post by Blood Axe »

I got my issue. The only thing I didnt like was that the Patron will be divided into 2 issues. Otherwise it was great!
To defend: This is the Pact.
But when life loses its value,
and is taken for naught -
then the Pact is to Avenge.
ravenspoe
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by ravenspoe »

Check out my quick and speedy review of the Crawl Fanzine for Dungeon Crawl Classics RPG. http://hexgeneration.com/
Rev. James Carpio - Freelance Writer & Game Designer
Sole Proprietor - Chapter 13 Press
http://www.Hexgeneration.com Post Punk and OSR Gaming from the Generation X point of view.
arcadayn
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by arcadayn »

I got mine on Friday. Very nice work! The articles are good and the physical quality is great. I really like the paper!

Return to “DCC RPG Third Party Publishers”