CRAWL! fanzine

DCC has inspired many folks to produce their own supplements and adventures for the game. This is the place for discussion of all 3PP products for DCC RPG.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

RevTurkey
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Re: CRAWL! fanzine

Post by RevTurkey »

Hey fellow Rev!

I just pre-ordered my copy of issue no.1 :D

I can't say I will be able to buy them every time as I have no money but I had to help get you started. Nice one.
Playing since about 1980
Latest games: DCC RPG of course!
Quote I like: "I am on a computer therfore I am" (Alan Plater)
RevTurkey
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by RevTurkey »

Oh and by the way... Wolfsbane are my fave flavour of metal band. Although, lead singer Blaze was rubbish in Iron Maiden. Cool beans.
Playing since about 1980
Latest games: DCC RPG of course!
Quote I like: "I am on a computer therfore I am" (Alan Plater)
reverenddak

Post by reverenddak »

Can you smell it? DCC RPG is getting close! Which means I can start shipping Crawl! No.1 soon...

As a teaser, here's the Table of Contents:

Contents!

Wizards & Warriors! Part 1
Pulp Fantasy and Swords & Sorcery Campaigns
Van Der Dandenclanden! Part 1
A patron from the imminent future by Brett Miller
Save or Die!
New death and dying rules
Variable DCs!
New rules for non-combat task resolution
OSR Conversions: Spells!
Using classic, old-edition spells
Reverend Dakota Jesus Ultimak, S.S.M.o.t.S.M.S., D.M.

(Dungeon) Master In Chief of Crawl! fanzine. - http://www.crawlfanzine.com/

"[...] there is no doubt that Dungeons and Dragons and its imitators are right out of the pit of hell." - William Schnoebelen, Straight talk on Dungeons & Dragons
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

D'oh! I need to get my CRAWL! pre-order in. Can't miss the metal special edition cover.

//H
The lucky guy who got to write some Dungeon Crawl Classics.

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.
Ogrepuppy
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ogrepuppy »

Purchased because that cover is indescribably cool, and I wanna see what kind of craziness the patron Vandendanderclanden is. (I love his slippers.)
reverenddak

Post by reverenddak »

Harley Stroh wrote:D'oh! I need to get my CRAWL! pre-order in. Can't miss the metal special edition cover.

//H
Hahhhahah, wait. What?!

"[...] there is no doubt that Dungeons and Dragons and its imitators are right out of the pit of hell." - William Schnoebelen, Straight talk on Dungeons & Dragons
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

I'm pretty sure I was promised a pin-pricked bloody finger print on every pre-order.

//H
The lucky guy who got to write some Dungeon Crawl Classics.

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.
reverenddak

Post by reverenddak »

Harley Stroh wrote:I'm pretty sure I was promised a pin-pricked bloody finger print on every pre-order.

//H
You got it... but it'd more likely be a paper cut.

reverenddak

Post by reverenddak »

Ogrepuppy wrote:Purchased because that cover is indescribably cool, and I wanna see what kind of craziness the patron Vandendanderclanden is. (I love his slippers.)
He IS extremely cool. And he recently signed up on these forums because, as I've mentioned, he's from the FUTURE. I can't wait for Van der Danderclanden to send me his Spells (they're unfortunately not going to be in issue one. Shooting for Issue 3, the Magic Issue...)

Van Der Danderclanden is one talented dude. I want to play in his campaign. He's running a mutated hack of DCC. I'm calling it Mutant Crawl Classics. I hope to feature his hacks soon. I'm also looking forward to his ANDROID apps. He should share the story of the skull on the end of the pole.

Count Fosco
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Count Fosco »

My preorder went in today. Looking forward to it!
ctaylor
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by ctaylor »

Dak,
Any chance you'll have copies at Strategicon at the end of May? If so, I'll be there Friday and Saturday, and would like to pick a copy of Crawl up...
reverenddak

Post by reverenddak »

ctaylor wrote:Dak,
Any chance you'll have copies at Strategicon at the end of May? If so, I'll be there Friday and Saturday, and would like to pick a copy of Crawl up...
That's a good question. I haven't been to Strategicon in a while. If I were to, I'd want to run a game of DCC. I'll have to check my calendar. They're usually on Holiday Weekends, and I'm usually camping in the middle of desert BLM land blowing sh*t up.

I have an idea... will start another thread...

DimitriX
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by DimitriX »

I also pre-ordered mine today. After I read through it, I will probably contact you about submitting some stuff. Once I get a game going, I'm sure I'll have some ideas to share.
Vanguard
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Vanguard »

Yeah, I pre-ordered a few weeks ago. I plan on submitting my adventures and stuff to it, once I've run them and tweaked them a little bit.
My Gaming Blog: The Earthlight Academy
http://earthlightacademy.blogspot.com/
reverenddak

Post by reverenddak »

Thanks you guys. I look forward to reading your submissions. I'm waiting for the go-ahead to ship the first issue, which is looking like mid-may to end-of-may now, sigh-I know. But it's ready to be printed and shipped!

I plan to have Issue 2 ready by early June. The writing is done, and being proofed and edited.

Subsequent issues steadily after that!

reverenddak

Post by reverenddak »

OK, I've decided to run a couple games at Strategicon/Gamex 2012! I missed the deadline to submit my game, but I contacted the organizers and they seem to be cool with me running something last-minute. So I might not show up on the schedule, but I'll be there.

I'll be running The Portal Under The Stars on Friday night and Sailors On The Starless Sea Saturday night. I'll also have copies of Crawl! No.1 on hand. If you're going to be there please join the game, or say Hi!

My games start at 8PM each night, I'll probably running around the exhibitor or open-gaming halls all day before that. If I had a DCC RPG T-shirt I'd wear it. If anyone wants to coordinate a meet-up during the day, here's a good place to do it, or PM/email me: [rev d.t dak @t straycouches d.t com] I might be found at the bar on occassion.

http://www.strategicon.net/index.php

My schedule:

Friday May 25, 8PM
DCC RPG: The Portal Under The Stars

Dungeon Crawl Classics RPG
Introductory 0-level adventure. An introduction to DCC RPG, 0-level character creation and short adventure. All materials provided.
Seeking wealth and escape from their peasant lives, the characters investigate a supernatural portal that appears only once every half-century when the stars are right.
Return to the glory days of fantasy with the Dungeon Crawl Classics Role Playing Game. Adventure as 1974 intended you to, with modern rules grounded in the origins of sword & sorcery. Fast play, cryptic secrets, and a mysterious past awaits.
7 players
Ages 13+

Saturday May 26, 8PM
DCC RPG: Sailors On The Starless Sea

Dungeon Crawl Classics RPG
Introductory 0-level adventures. An introduction to DCC RPG, 0-level character creation and short adventure. All materials provided.
Beastmen howl in the night and your fellow villagers are snatched from their beds. With no heroes to defend you, who will rise to stand against the encircling darkness? The secrets of Chaos are yours to unearth, but at what cost to sanity or soul?
Return to the glory days of fantasy with the Dungeon Crawl Classics Role Playing Game. Adventure as 1974 intended you to, with modern rules grounded in the origins of sword & sorcery. Fast play, cryptic secrets, and a mysterious past awaits.
7 players
Ages 13+

finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

Hey, reverenddak -

I just clicked on your website to preorder issue #1 of CRAWL! and realized that you have a subscription rate! Maybe I missed that part of an announcement, but when I saw I could subscribe I rolled the dice and took the plunge!

Count me a CRAWL! supporter! 8)
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
reverenddak

Post by reverenddak »

finarvyn wrote:Hey, reverenddak -

I just clicked on your website to preorder issue #1 of CRAWL! and realized that you have a subscription rate! Maybe I missed that part of an announcement, but when I saw I could subscribe I rolled the dice and took the plunge!

Count me a CRAWL! supporter! 8)
Thanks! I guess it hasn't been that obvious. So I fixed it and made a separate Subscription link.

Again, thanks for the support. I'm really anxious to get them out. The first batch is done. I just need to figure out how I'm going to address all these envelopes and get all the shipping costs figured out! I've been losing sleep trying to figure this all out. Some of you might get your zines in the middle of next week!

Oh, a trick I figured out for making booklets in this format: Staple them first, then fold. I figured that out the hard way.

GlowingDice
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by GlowingDice »

Aaaaaannnndddd pre-ordered!
Mike
reverenddak

Post by reverenddak »

So I got two local shops to carry Crawl! I'm pretty happy about that. They are Emerald Knights in Burbank, http://ekcomicsandgames.com/ and Game Empire Pasadena, http://gameempirepasadena.com/.

I had an interesting time. I visited my three most local shops. Only one of them heard of DCC RPG, and they accepted my zine graciously. The two others were very wary, and didn't even know the game was coming out. One of these shops decided to purchase a few copies after calling his distributor, though he was hesitant. The other looked it up, and ordered a copy of the game out of curiosity. I was lectured by both of these shops a bit on logistics, the state of the RPG market and they didn't hesitate to express their concerns. Did they feel sorry for me? Trying to sell a cheap looking zine in the world of flashy-pants like Pathfinder? I don't know who felt worst. The one shop for rejecting my zine? or me for thinking they didn't "get it." I love the shop that "rejected" my zine, and they did say to come back in a couple weeks if there is any sign of interest in DCC RPG.

I think I'm going to start a new thread about "the concerns." Less about my zine (I get that they don't get why I would put so much time and effort in a stupid xerox'd zine) but how retailers are concerned about a few things.

Karaptis
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Karaptis »

And the brick and morters wonder why people go online. I had a local tell me I make too much at my job and that is why his taxes are high here in NY. I had to school him on economics as in if I make less, I buy less. Most in this area seem behind the 8 ball. Hello internet!
Machpants
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Machpants »

Ooooh looks like the first issue is posted. Must admit I was confused as hell to get a paypal email saying straycouches has sent me something. WTF is straycouches? Has my account been hacked? Oh no that is the Crawl fanzine :D

Looking forward to it
LAST OF THE F3W
Gloria Finis
reverenddak

Post by reverenddak »

Machpants wrote:Ooooh looks like the first issue is posted. Must admit I was confused as hell to get a paypal email saying straycouches has sent me something. WTF is straycouches? Has my account been hacked? Oh no that is the Crawl fanzine :D

Looking forward to it
Oh! Doh! Yep, Straycouches.com is me! I forget there might be a dis-association. I've been using Straycouches.Com for several years now. You may notice it now as my email and the domain for some of my blogs.

dunbruha
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by dunbruha »

Got mine today! Looks good--I'll read it today. (btw, the black-on-black cover was a surprise!)
reverenddak

Post by reverenddak »

dunbruha wrote:Got mine today! Looks good--I'll read it today. (btw, the black-on-black cover was a surprise!)
(Shhhh, they're special heavy metal limited edition covers that all pre-orders received. They're officially sold-out as of yesterday.)

Return to “DCC RPG Third Party Publishers”