crawl! 9: arwich grinder

DCC has inspired many folks to produce their own supplements and adventures for the game. This is the place for discussion of all 3PP products for DCC RPG.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

catseye yellow
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

crawl! 9: arwich grinder

Post by catseye yellow »

anyone run it? i like it but i get this strange vibe that it is not deadly enough for a funnel. any opinions on that?
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Re: crawl! 9: arwich grinder

Post by Raven_Crowking »

It very much depends upon how your players approach it, and how big your funnel group is. This is not a funnel in which you can easily import new characters, and there are certainly opportunities to die. The death rate was about 75% in the initial playtest.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
catseye yellow
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by catseye yellow »

Raven_Crowking wrote:It very much depends upon how your players approach it, and how big your funnel group is. This is not a funnel in which you can easily import new characters, and there are certainly opportunities to die. The death rate was about 75% in the initial playtest.
usually about 16. is it too much?
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Not at all. There are some areas where attrition can be surprisingly high.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

YMMV. In Prince Charming, Reanimator, I have seen near TPKs and parties survive with most of their members intact.

In AG, there are a few areas of maximum potential carnage - if you have read the module, you know which they are. The highest point, the lowest point, and the sacrifice. As befits a Lovecraftian story, though, much of what could potentially happen relies upon the curiosity of the PCs. There are at least three encounters, played poorly, that can result in a TPK. If they engage in the PVP option near the start of the scenario, half the party can be gone before they open the first door.

Even if the entire party of 16 survives (unlikely as that may be), this just means that the players have more than one potential PC to choose from. This can be good or bad. I ran Well of the Worm as a funnel, and one player consistently got another player to let her characters lead the way. At the end of the day, the first player had 3 PCs ready to level, and the second player was wiped out.
SoBH pbp:

catseye yellow
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by catseye yellow »

Raven_Crowking wrote:YMMV. In Prince Charming, Reanimator, I have seen near TPKs and parties survive with most of their members intact.

In AG, there are a few areas of maximum potential carnage - if you have read the module, you know which they are. The highest point, the lowest point, and the sacrifice. As befits a Lovecraftian story, though, much of what could potentially happen relies upon the curiosity of the PCs. There are at least three encounters, played poorly, that can result in a TPK. If they engage in the PVP option near the start of the scenario, half the party can be gone before they open the first door.

Even if the entire party of 16 survives (unlikely as that may be), this just means that the players have more than one potential PC to choose from. This can be good or bad. I ran Well of the Worm as a funnel, and one player consistently got another player to let her characters lead the way. At the end of the day, the first player had 3 PCs ready to level, and the second player was wiped out.
bastard :D

i like to try to flash out a little bit funnel-fodder when i play but it seems to me that there are players who are more utilitarian in their approach.

Return to “DCC RPG Third Party Publishers”