2012: Transylvanian Adventures & The Transylvanian Grimoire

DCC has inspired many folks to produce their own supplements and adventures for the game. This is the place for discussion of all 3PP products for DCC RPG.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Ogrepuppy
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Re: 2012: Transylvanian Adventures & The Transylvanian Grimo

Post by Ogrepuppy »

DCCfan wrote:
Karaptis wrote:Captain Kronos is on Netflix streaming in case anyone wants to get in the mood for TA.
Thanks for the info on Captain Kronos.
Agreed.

Caroline Munro? ::swoon:: Hubba hubba. Gonna re-watch The Spy Who Loved Me just to look at her more. I reeeeeaaalllly enjoyed her utter lack of bra in Kronos--it was wench-o-riffic!

Last edited by Ogrepuppy on Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Karaptis
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Karaptis »

Mayan shaman type comes to mind.
Karaptis
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Karaptis »

Caroline Munro is totally hot! She was in the Golden Voyage of Sinbad as well (along with my favorite Doctor as the villain). As Hammer flicks go however, here is my queen. God rest your soul Ingrid Pitt.
Attachments
IngridEagles.jpg
IngridEagles.jpg (83.53 KiB) Viewed 64309 times
Last edited by Karaptis on Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ogrepuppy
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ogrepuppy »

Carla: "I'm staying... if you'll have me."
Kronos: "Oh, I'll have you."

LIKE A BOSS
Last edited by Ogrepuppy on Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Ogrepuppy
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ogrepuppy »

Karaptis wrote:God rest your soul Ingrid Pitt.
I'd Pitt that! :lol:

(See what I did there?)
Last edited by Ogrepuppy on Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Karaptis
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Karaptis »

I put up an edited version of her up. The other one was a scorcher and likely to get me in hot water :oops:
Ogrepuppy
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ogrepuppy »

Karaptis wrote:I put up an edited version of her up. The other one was a scorcher and likely to get me in hot water :oops:
I saw part of her jumbles. Her candy apples. Her naa-naas. :shock:

Luckily, I snagged it before you tore it down. :wink:
smathis
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by smathis »

:D you guys crack me up.

I agree about Ingrid and Caroline. Yvonne Monlaur from The Brides of Dracula and Domini Blythe from Vampire Circus are favorites as well.

And let's not forget Veronica Carlson.
smathis
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by smathis »

Karaptis wrote:Mayan shaman type comes to mind.
Yup. The Exotic can be themed a number of ways. Much like determining what the Half-Breed is half of, the nationality of the Exotic is completely open. The other classes can accommodate other nationalities too. The Exotic is just aimed at people from far away who have strange methods of fighting.

They also are one of the only classes with any sort of proficiency with Healing.
Ogrepuppy
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ogrepuppy »

smathis wrote::D you guys crack me up.
Dude, we crack us up. It's kinda pathetic.
Zdanman
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Zdanman »

The Exotic seems really cool. A kind of martial artist class that does not seem out of place in a DnD-like world. Me like. One question - will there be exotic weapons detailed to fit the class? Like having kukris for my Gurkha-like warrior?
smathis
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by smathis »

Zdanman wrote:The Exotic seems really cool. A kind of martial artist class that does not seem out of place in a DnD-like world. Me like. One question - will there be exotic weapons detailed to fit the class? Like having kukris for my Gurkha-like warrior?
I think the Exotic would probably feel more a part of a D&D world than a Monk even.

You raise a good point about Exotic weapons. I initially hadn't given the Exotic any sort of special weapons of that sort. The Hunter has the signature weapon feature.

But I think there's an opportunity there to give the Exotic an "Exotic Weapon" feature that would allow him to customize known weaponry in interesting ways -- perhaps even randomly. Take darts, for example, add a feature that allows the Exotic to throw them as an area burst -- probably with a negative die shift to the damage -- and you've got shuriken.

Now add another upgrade or feature on them that make them able to affect incorporeal opponents. Or maybe one that causes an entangle if the opponent doesn't make a Reflex save and you've got something even more exotic.

If possible, I'd like to allow the exotic to modify existing weaponry as opposed to making a long list of weapons from around the world.
Zdanman
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Zdanman »

smathis wrote:
Zdanman wrote:The Exotic seems really cool. A kind of martial artist class that does not seem out of place in a DnD-like world. Me like. One question - will there be exotic weapons detailed to fit the class? Like having kukris for my Gurkha-like warrior?
I think the Exotic would probably feel more a part of a D&D world than a Monk even.

You raise a good point about Exotic weapons. I initially hadn't given the Exotic any sort of special weapons of that sort. The Hunter has the signature weapon feature.

But I think there's an opportunity there to give the Exotic an "Exotic Weapon" feature that would allow him to customize known weaponry in interesting ways -- perhaps even randomly. Take darts, for example, add a feature that allows the Exotic to throw them as an area burst -- probably with a negative die shift to the damage -- and you've got shuriken.

Now add another upgrade or feature on them that make them able to affect incorporeal opponents. Or maybe one that causes an entangle if the opponent doesn't make a Reflex save and you've got something even more exotic.

If possible, I'd like to allow the exotic to modify existing weaponry as opposed to making a long list of weapons from around the world.
This is a good point about the upgrading of the "exotic" quality of weapons. In my mind if the Exotic goes on a more martial route he is bound to show mastery of weapons that "normal" warriors have not even heard about. A kukri for example is a knife, but it's not the knife we know. You fight differently with it. I love for the Exotic to have that option. To make his fighting style (the two-weapons style as you said) feel unique - it could manifest in his weapons also.

In my mind you do not need a big list of exotic weapons - just options to make existing weapons more exotic for that character class.
smathis
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by smathis »

Zdanman wrote:
smathis wrote:

This is a good point about the upgrading of the "exotic" quality of weapons. In my mind if the Exotic goes on a more martial route he is bound to show mastery of weapons that "normal" warriors have not even heard about. A kukri for example is a knife, but it's not the knife we know. You fight differently with it. I love for the Exotic to have that option. To make his fighting style (the two-weapons style as you said) feel unique - it could manifest in his weapons also.

In my mind you do not need a big list of exotic weapons - just options to make existing weapons more exotic for that character class.
Cool. I added the "exotic weapon" class feature. The exotic has become more interesting in that it can be focused on weaponry, martial arts, nature skills or sort of a Kung fu monk.

Here's hoping you guys have fun with it.
Zdanman
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Zdanman »

Very cool I could help and somewhat contribute to the making the book even cool. Plus it makes me even more hungry to buy it and play it. If for some strange reason you would want more input post up the stuff you got - I will be glad to speak my mind :wink: Anyhow the book is shaping up to be on cool horror-ride of gaming!
smathis
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by smathis »

Zdanman wrote:Very cool I could help and somewhat contribute to the making the book even cool. Plus it makes me even more hungry to buy it and play it. If for some strange reason you would want more input post up the stuff you got - I will be glad to speak my mind :wink: Anyhow the book is shaping up to be on cool horror-ride of gaming!
Thanks. As the book gets closer to presentable, I'll be sharing more and more.
smathis
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by smathis »

A post about the Polymath class will go live at midnight tonight. It's titled "Dr. Van Helsing, I presume". And here's a brief snippet...
Thus far, we've covered The Valiant, The Half-Breed and The Exotic. Now I'd like to introduce you to another class that will be appearing in Transylvanian Adventures. I apologize for the detour into the pages of the Transylvanian Grimoire with the Exotic and Half-Breed. But you must understand, it is so easy to get lost in these woods.

May I present, to you, the Polymath!
The Polymath is a learned scholar whose broad knowledge has come to account for those things which philosophy and metaphysics cannot explain. The Polymath is an expert at distilling fact from folklore and using that information to his or her advantage.
Looking forward to hearing your feedback on another class for Transylvanian Adventures. Who do you want to read about next?
Zdanman
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Zdanman »

smathis wrote:A post about the Polymath class will go live at midnight tonight. It's titled "Dr. Van Helsing, I presume". And here's a brief snippet...
Thus far, we've covered The Valiant, The Half-Breed and The Exotic. Now I'd like to introduce you to another class that will be appearing in Transylvanian Adventures. I apologize for the detour into the pages of the Transylvanian Grimoire with the Exotic and Half-Breed. But you must understand, it is so easy to get lost in these woods.

May I present, to you, the Polymath!
The Polymath is a learned scholar whose broad knowledge has come to account for those things which philosophy and metaphysics cannot explain. The Polymath is an expert at distilling fact from folklore and using that information to his or her advantage.
Looking forward to hearing your feedback on another class for Transylvanian Adventures. Who do you want to read about next?
So a Polymath would be the class the represents the old gypsy (or her young student) that knows all the legends and knowing which parts of the legends would actually work about the horror we are about to face? Would it make it a specialized spellcasting class using speficic knowledge to "fuel" general spells towards the types of enemies the Polymath knows something about and not working against those when he lacks the knowledge? Am I hitting in the general direction? If I am this sounds awesome!

Other than more details about the Polymath I would love to hear about the Hunter and how you can model Solomon Kane from that class. Solomon has always been paladin-ish in my mind - even when a case is personal it has the greater good as the ultimate goal. All accomplished thanks to the conviction that you are right and pure and they are not.
smathis
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by smathis »

Zdanman wrote:So a Polymath would be the class the represents the old gypsy (or her young student) that knows all the legends and knowing which parts of the legends would actually work about the horror we are about to face? Would it make it a specialized spellcasting class using speficic knowledge to "fuel" general spells towards the types of enemies the Polymath knows something about and not working against those when he lacks the knowledge? Am I hitting in the general direction? If I am this sounds awesome!

Other than more details about the Polymath I would love to hear about the Hunter and how you can model Solomon Kane from that class. Solomon has always been paladin-ish in my mind - even when a case is personal it has the greater good as the ultimate goal. All accomplished thanks to the conviction that you are right and pure and they are not.
Yup. The Polymath could represent an old gypsy. Or a Lovecraftian Professor type. Or a Watcher from the Buffy series.

Their Ritual knowledge is separate from an application of what they can research. I mean, Research can be used to get a bonus to the casting of a Ritual but there's a whole lot more it can do too.

In game terms, a party does research to try to gain some advantage over whatever it is they're facing. And the Polymath is very good at this.

The result of Research can mean a number of things -- knowing the location of a secret door in the dungeon without having to search, avoiding a random encounter or trap, getting a bonus to save against one of the adversary's special attacks, finding out where the lair of the creature may be or finding out a weakness of the creature in question. Research can also result in spells, rituals, counter-rituals and other bonuses the party can use in the adventure. Polymaths OWN this element of play. There's an element of Sherlock Holmes to the Polymath, as well as the classic Dr. Van Helsing.

P.S. I'll do the Hunter next week!
smathis
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by smathis »

The Polymath is set to pop off in a bit. I'm on US Central Time so... wow... yeah... marketing FAIL on my part. Oh well. Time Zones.

But Polymath is up soon. More in the style of the Exotic too, so there's more info. Something worth reading at least.

In celebration of this incredibly arbitrary event, the first three people who send me a stat array, a percentile die roll and a d20 roll will get a 0-Level Transylvanian Adventures character posted to the blog and here. Using the handy-dandy 0-Level stuff in TA.

That's about all it takes to make a 0-Level character in TA. Unless you want to use the name charts.

Okay. If you want to use the name charts, specify Hammer, Eccentric, British, German, Romanian or Gypsy. And then send in three d20 rolls and 2 percentile rolls with your stat arrays. Yes, there are 6 Name Charts in this monster. And wait until we get to talking about the Random NPC tables...
smathis
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by smathis »

I'll compile all the 0-Level generated characters when I get three of them and, hopefully, that will spawn some discussions about things you all would like to know more about. For now, Zdanman sent in some stats and... using the charts in TA (and one chart in DCC)... we have the following 0-Level Transylvanian Adventures character.
CHARACTER INFO
Starting Age: 15 + 1d8 years
Wealth: Destitute
Description: Unlike a Circus Performer, an Oddity has some form of defect or physical deformation. An Oddity might have Dwarfism, Giantism or something else that significantly alters his appearance. An Oddity may have been a Circus Performer but it is his eccentric appearance that differentiates him from other members of a circus troupe like Acrobats and Jugglers.

STATS
Strength: 14
Agility: 16
Stamina: 12
Intelligence 9
Personality: 6
Luck: 11

Hit Points: 6
Armor Class: 14

SAVES
Fortitude: +1
Reflex: +2
Will: -1

EQUIPMENT: Flame-retardant, heavy black cloak; Bludgeon; Hand-sized Mirror

You got a name for him? I'm thinking "Tyrion" at the moment. :D

Thanks for participating, Zdanman!
Zdanman
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Zdanman »

If we are going the oddity route...I think the name Randian will do :). Bonus points to those that catch the reference.
smathis
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by smathis »

Zdanman wrote:If we are going the oddity route...I think the name Randian will do :). Bonus points to those that catch the reference.
I will admit that I had to use some Google on this one. But is this the guy you're referencing?

If so, I'm impressed with the 30' movement! :D
Zdanman
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Zdanman »

smathis wrote:
Zdanman wrote:If we are going the oddity route...I think the name Randian will do :). Bonus points to those that catch the reference.
I will admit that I had to use some Google on this one. But is this the guy you're referencing?

That is the guy. But check this out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66Pgw_nUlMw

Now that is some mad DEX :)
smathis
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by smathis »

Zdanman wrote:
smathis wrote:

That is the guy. But check this out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66Pgw_nUlMw

Now that is some mad DEX :)
That's impressive, no doubt.

Return to “DCC RPG Third Party Publishers”