2012: Transylvanian Adventures & The Transylvanian Grimoire

DCC has inspired many folks to produce their own supplements and adventures for the game. This is the place for discussion of all 3PP products for DCC RPG.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Liu Jen Hao
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Re: 2012: Transylvanian Adventures & The Transylvanian Grimo

Post by Liu Jen Hao »

And as a show of sincerity that I was not trying to be a class clown in recommending Batman (1989) as a source of stylistic inspiration, here is a springboard of discussion for further possible IN GENRE sources of inspiration:

Novels

Northanger Abbey (Jane Austen): Yes, that Jane Austen. Even though not strictly speaking a horror-yarn, Northanger Abbey exaggerates, analyzes and deconstructs the tropes of what the "Gothic" atmosphere is, through the eyes of a very impressionable 18th century English Girl on her visist to an "old dark house" of a "creepy" old relative on a summer vacaton. Food for thought.

A Christmas Carol and Oliver Twist (Charles Dickens): Charles Dickens, the master of post-medieval urban decay; really rubs the salt in the wounds of how dirty 19th century Europe was. And if you thougth Doctor Jekyll/Mister Hyde was a scary human monster, you have not met the thug William "Bill" Sykes yet..... (shivers)

Tale of the White Snake (Classic Chinese Novel): A white-snake spirit who is about to ascend to Godhood through one-thousand years of kind deeds suddenly falls in love with a human and marries him: The trouble is, the racist and xenophobic monk/monster-hunter Fa-Hai would have none of that, and would go to monstrous lengths (including flooding the town the lovers lived in) to tear them apart. Not only a literary classic, but a must read for players of the "Exotic" and "Hunter" class. Give the film adaptations Green Snake and Jet Li's Fa Hai, The Sorcerer and The White Snake a look as well.

Rhyme of the Ancient Mariner: Chronicling the journey through the oceans of purgatory of our titular old-salt, whom in slaying the sacred Albatross in a moment of malicious jest brought the wrath of ancient spirits upon his crew. Contains THE iconic description of undead-sailors in literature, not to mention eerie yet oddly heartwarming and beautiful scenes of benevolent ghosts and restless dead given transcendence. Definitive "Ocean Gothic."

Film:
Mimic: Ah, the cavernous sewer: Forgotten warrens of forgotten past glory built on top of decayed former splendor. As usual, Del Toro is the go-to fella for modern stylstic gothic. And oh yes, for the claustrophobia and the nerve shredding terror of being chased at high speeds in tiny tunnels by gargoyle like giant man-insects too!!

Evil Dead (The FIRST film): Since TA and TG is "street level" by default, this is a humbling reminder to the players of how vulnerable an band ordinary human being is when played like a violin by the sadistic whims of a malevolent and omnipotent ancient evil.

Deliverance: Another humbling reminder of how harsh the cosequences of combat can be when you are trapped in the dark, dark woods with dwindling resources and NO Magical-Healing, with the monster (Hillbillies, in this case) hell-bent on catching you and tearing you apart.

Anime
When Cicadas Cry: A deliciously creepy supernatural-murder mystery set in the seemingly peaceful countryside of 1980's Japan, told through multiple prespectives, each 4 episodes. The first 2 are lighthearted and even at times slapstick, to lull you into a false sense of security.... and THEN just like David Lynch's Twin Peaks, it plunges you headfirst into the dark murky depths of pscyhological and visceral horror; NOT for the faint of heart or weak of stomach. The must see source for "Peaceful Small Town with dark and ugly secret underbelly" story of the 21st century.

Kindaichi Files: Again, weekly Detective Murder Mystery. Aside from drawing heavily on richly Gothic Motiffs and atmosphere (the Tarot/Horror Movie/Literature inspired masked murderers and their modus operandi in particular), it is a PRIME source of how to weave a convoluted and believable murder mystery. Again, for the strong of stomach and heart.

Objections? Agreement? Hopefully a springboard of discussion of what "Gothic" is!!

Next Up: Musical Inspirations.
Got to feed the cat first.

POST SCRIPT:
Pats RevTurkey on the shoulder
Don't worry, you're an okay fella!!
Hope to meet you at a Game Con one day.:D
smathis
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by smathis »

RevTurkey wrote:Yes, sorry about that Smathis... Wasn't trying to hijack the thread :D

Looking forward to see how the book turns out. I am interested... I totally love the old Hammer, Amicus and Tigon films style horror movies.

Can I just ask and sorry if this has already been asked but...

Will there be an adventure or plot point type thing in the book? Or some follow up modules?

Thanks.
There's a 0-Level adventure in the book. I've also got a few "campaign arcs" in the Campaigning chapter that a Judge could use to kick off ideas for a TA/TG campaign. As far as other adventures... a lot depends on how well TA/TG does. It will be difficult to convince my wife that I need to invest this level of effort towards another project if it's only sold, like, 20 copies. ;)
RevTurkey
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by RevTurkey »

:D thanks
Playing since about 1980
Latest games: DCC RPG of course!
Quote I like: "I am on a computer therfore I am" (Alan Plater)
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

I would love to see follow-up modules for this.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
RevTurkey
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by RevTurkey »

I'd rather see one Transylvanian Adventures rulebook and some follow up adventures than have the Grimoire being a separate thing. A Classic Horror spin off game for DCC would be my cup of tea. I would also rather see character names like Paladin, Explorer, Huntsman etc rather than Redeemable and such, just so I don't have to keep explaining what they are all the time.

Not being negative and I don't expect this to happen at this late stage in production (and I don't think you need worry too much about what I think anyway). Just saying :D
Playing since about 1980
Liu Jen Hao
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Liu Jen Hao »

And how could I forget:
The Crow (1993): A rain drenched Gothic-punk ballad of love and revenge that showcases the zeal and Operatic passions of tragic Gothic heroes with an intensity that few films, Gothic or not, can match.

In gaming terms, it showcases how frighteningly unstoppable when the regenerative prowess of a half-blood is crossed with the ironcald determination of a Valiant.

That aside, Brandon Lee was every inch the warrior and actor his father Breuce Lee was. Worth seeing for his tortured, subdued yet passionate performance alone. A pity like Bruce, he was taken away from us too soon, MUCH too soon.

If you want to be inspired to portray Gothic sagas of epic passions, you simply CANNOT go wrong with Braneon Lee's "The Crow,"
smathis
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by smathis »

RevTurkey wrote:I'd rather see one Transylvanian Adventures rulebook and some follow up adventures than have the Grimoire being a separate thing. A Classic Horror spin off game for DCC would be my cup of tea. I would also rather see character names like Paladin, Explorer, Huntsman etc rather than Redeemable and such, just so I don't have to keep explaining what they are all the time.

Not being negative and I don't expect this to happen at this late stage in production (and I don't think you need worry too much about what I think anyway). Just saying :D
The one book thing was originally how TA/TG was intended. The problem, though, is that the finished book would be somewhere in the ballpark of 400+ pages and would also not be anywhere near complete before the end of this year. TG is likely not going to be ready until Q1 or Q2 of 2013.

I tried to figure out a helpful division of content such that those who were only interested in the hexmap of Transylvania or the rule changes or the character classes wouldn't have to pay the extra money because the spells were in the book. Likewise, those who just wanted a creepy, atmospheric magic system for DCC could just get the TG without having to worry about the character classes or Transylvania at all.

I'm not splitting them up to make more money off two books. In fact, it may work out where this approach is cheaper.

I've even toyed with the notion of a three-book split. Mostly because I could release the character classes and rule enhancements and a number of the charts more quickly than I could the Hexmap, setting and a lot of the monsters. It's still looking like TA is going to be a very hefty book. So who knows? Maybe there's a Players Guide, Judge's Guide and a Magic book...

Long explanation short, whatever I can do to keep the price of this book low while still making just enough to cover my losses and convince my wife that, maybe, adventures wouldn't be such a bad idea is exactly the route I'll take.

As far as the character class names... I'm open to changes. I like the Polymath. But the rest are open for discussion. That's one of those changes that would be fiddly in the text but wouldn't take more than an hour or so to implement. And that's worth it, in my opinion if it does a better job of explaining what archetype a class represents.

So, forum members, knowing what you know about the classes thus far... fire away. If you have a better name for a character class, I'm open to suggestions.
RevTurkey
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by RevTurkey »

Wow, you have been busy! I didn't know you had that much material going on.

Thanks for the explanation, the division makes more sense now. Sounds pretty epic.

Paragon? Huntsman? Witchfinder? Occultist? That kind of thing maybe? Just names that are more evocative of action rather than description.

Paragon 'of virtue'
Huntsman...well they hunt things
Witchfinder...they er...find witches.

Occultist..read Woman's weekly and dress in high heels. Ah no that's Transvestite Adventures
Playing since about 1980
smathis
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by smathis »

RevTurkey wrote:Wow, you have been busy! I didn't know you had that much material going on.

Thanks for the explanation, the division makes more sense now. Sounds pretty epic.

Paragon? Huntsman? Witchfinder? Occultist? That kind of thing maybe? Just names that are more evocative of action rather than description.

Paragon 'of virtue'
Huntsman...well they hunt things
Witchfinder...they er...find witches.

Occultist..read Woman's weekly and dress in high heels. Ah no that's Transvestite Adventures
Occultist is already a 0-Level Occupation. There isn't really a "Huntsman" class. There's the "Hunter" but that's different. It's more like a Monster Hunter than a "Hunter". Witchfinder? Not really a class. More like a job for one of the classes.

Here is the list of classes:

Valiant
Exotic
Hunter
Half-Breed
Theorist
Polymath
Charger
Redeemable
Survivor

I can't say I'm settled or exceptionally happy with all the class names. But you gotta try harder that that... :D
RevTurkey
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by RevTurkey »

:D maybe they aren't so bad after all!
Playing since about 1980
smathis
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by smathis »

RevTurkey wrote::D maybe they aren't so bad after all!
Meh. I could use better names for the Redeemable and the Charger, for sure. Probably the Valiant too.

We'll see. Think it over. I'm very interested in what the community would come up with.
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

At the moment I don't have suggestions for alternate names. But what I like about that list of names is that they certainly suggest that something different is going on in TA than in most games.
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
RevTurkey
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by RevTurkey »

Yes those two do stick out a bit. I quite like the name Valiant. Polymath should stay just for the exact opposite of what I said lol. What's a Polymath? Hmm..I want to play a Polymath. Why? Because I never have!
Playing since about 1980
Karaptis
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Karaptis »

I've been on a Hammer Films binge in anticipation for all this TA talk. Even some non hammer 60s and 70s era groovy horror is highly recommended
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

Finally sat down and compared your "Appendix F" post with what's in my Netflix queue...

Only had to add a couple that I hadn't seen yet nor already had queued up - I guess I'll be appropriately Hammered soon! :mrgreen:
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
Liu Jen Hao
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Liu Jen Hao »

Is the combat movement/position system going to be

1) An abstract "noted on paper per turn" system?
2) Minature based? That was one of the things about Third Edition that I did like: made it so much more visceral and cinematic/

If yes to 2, are the movements going to be square or hex based?

Ah, always loved the good old "Vinyl Mat with indelible squares with the walls and furniture drawn on with water-soluble pen" method.

Good old days.....
smathis
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by smathis »

Karaptis wrote:I've been on a Hammer Films binge in anticipation for all this TA talk. Even some non hammer 60s and 70s era groovy horror is highly recommended
What would you recommend? I've seen lots of 60s and 70s horror movies but I'm always on the lookout for something new.
smathis
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by smathis »

Liu Jen Hao wrote:Is the combat movement/position system going to be

1) An abstract "noted on paper per turn" system?
2) Minature based? That was one of the things about Third Edition that I did like: made it so much more visceral and cinematic/

If yes to 2, are the movements going to be square or hex based?

Ah, always loved the good old "Vinyl Mat with indelible squares with the walls and furniture drawn on with water-soluble pen" method.

Good old days.....
It's the same as DCC. Joseph rightly pointed out in the manuscript where I'd been using "miniature-speak" and I need to go back through and make sure I convert that to phrasing that works with or without a grid map.

I generally run TA/TG either way, as suits the situation. Larger groups or more combatants are more likely to see the flipmat come out.

So, same as DCC. Believe it or not, the game is very much in the same vein as DCC rules-wise. There are around a half-dozen rules "tweaks". I could probably put them all in condensed form in less than 1000 words. That said, I've tried to maximize the impact of each tweak so that the game "plays" more Hammer Horror. Most of the word count is setting info, monsters, the new classes, the hexmap and a bunch of charts. The rules enhancements is only a mid-sized chapter (including examples).
Liu Jen Hao
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Liu Jen Hao »

So, all the rules are included in the TA main text so you don't have to jump between PDFs and rulebooks? Sweet!!

By the way, where is the "online preview" everyone is talking about? Would so love to take a look at it!!
Karaptis wrote: What would you recommend? I've seen lots of 60s and 70s horror movies but I'm always on the lookout for something new.
Here's a few:
Not many "monsters", so to speak, but gloriously Gothic and SCARY as hell nonetheless.

Wait Until Dark (Terrence Young 1967). Nightmarish chiller about a blind young woman (played by Audrey Hepburn), harrowed by three thieves after a stash of heroin stuffed within an antique doll. Our intrepid heroine turns the weakness of her lost sight into a strenghth, building up to a nerve-shattering climax as both she helplessly battles the final villain, now too trapped in the blindness of her apparement's long, clawlike shadows. Prepare to lose sleep after this one.

The Collector (William Wyler - 1965). Prepare to lose a LOT of sleep over a tale of a possessive butterfly-collecting pervert who kidnaps and entraps a young hippie his old, dark attic of his creaky, old house.... Vampires and Unseelie-Fairy take note, THIS is how you break a free-young-spirit and turn him/her into a slave. (Similarly, see the equally-Gothic 1980' British Film "Flowers in the Attic")

"Psycho" and "The Birds" (Alfred Hitchcock - 1960 and 1963)
The former for style and suspense, and the latter for those who no longer find dark clouds of supernatural-animals-swarms attacking to be scary thanks to those insect swarms in Diablo 3. Saying any more will spoil these masterpieces; see them.... if you dare......

"Rosemary's Baby" (Roman Polanski - 1968) and "The Omen" (Richard Donner - 1976)
Both "hit the nail on the head" in how Satanic Witch-Cults SHOULD be portrayed; intelligent, cold, calculating, secretive and horrifyingly coordinated and precise when they need to be. Also, just when you thought children cannot be scary, oh boy you have not seen these little anti-Christs yet, oh boy (Sips coffee to stop sleeping and facing nightmares)

And Finally

"The Exorcist / Director's Cut" (William Friedkin - 1973 / 2000)
See The Director's Cut if you can. Saying anything more would be redundant; see it with friends, or with a HUGE Teddy Bear to hug for comfort if they are too scared to see it with you.

Good Night!! (Hugs Teddy Bear from being too scared by memories of these movies)
smathis
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by smathis »

Liu Jen Hao wrote:So, all the rules are included in the TA main text so you don't have to jump between PDFs and rulebooks? Sweet!!
TA doesn't reprint the rules from DCC. I must've miscommunicated. Sorry about that.

TA has a small chapter on the expected rule enhancements. One of the reasons the changes are so minor is because a Judge will need both DCC and TA. TA mostly relies on some of DCC's charts and assumes that the Judge using it understands the DCC core rules.

A good chunk of TA/TG could probably apply to most any OSRish rpg (C&C, S&W, etc). I mean, the hexmap of Transylvania is, well, a hexmap. The monsters are inline with those printed in DCC. There are copious charts that are system agnostic for the most part. And even the classes and many of the rules hacks might work fine in another OSR ruleset.

But TA/TG is very much a supplement for DCC. If you don't have DCC, you'll have to live with some things not working. Or just have to be okay with not understanding things like the Turn MIshaps table or the Divine Aid Mishaps table. Or what I mean when I talk about "Bleeding Out" or "Recovering the Body".

TA/TG will not reprint the rules from DCC. That would make the initial book gargantuan in proportions and likely outside the price range I'm shooting for and the terms of the 3PP agreement.

Unless Joseph swoops in and wants to print it. ;)

Always need to put an asterisk for Joseph becoming infatuated with Ingrid Pitt. It's happened to most of us at least once.
smathis
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by smathis »

Liu Jen Hao wrote:By the way, where is the "online preview" everyone is talking about? Would so love to take a look at it!!
I'm not aware of a lot of chatter around an "online preview".

Joseph and a few others have received an advance copy of about half the chapters/appendices to review, comment on and hopefully try out. Most everyone who has received a copy has been ominously silent. Meaning that... (a) it just blew their mind, (b) they failed their Fort save and are still recovering from the Personality drain, (c) they've quit their jobs, left their families and have sequestered themselves in an underground bunker with 4 friends and a set of Zocchi dice or (d) they're still going over it and don't have much to say at this time.

I'm thinking it's most likely (d) but the book does cause Personality drain (just ask my wife).

Joseph has commented on it. Mostly positive with a few suggestions to clarify some pieces. I think he's secretly got Harley writing a module for it that he can play with his group RIGHT FREAKING NOW. Because, when you're Joseph, you can do awesome things like have Harley Stroh write up an adventure for you to run.

Joseph doesn't prep. He SUMMONS! :shock:

This sort of advance copy thing is a Sanity Check. I'm trying to keep it limited because broadcasting the text at this stage in the game is just a bad idea.
Liu Jen Hao
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Liu Jen Hao »

In this particular case I fear it is I who have miscommunicated.

I interpreted the discussions amongst here on this board as there being an online version amongst play testers to view.

Sorry for that misunderstanding. No compromise has occurred in the security in your product.

Anyway, before I sleep:

Just finished a perfect "Exotic" AND "Hunter" source film, The 2010 Hong Kong Kung-Fu Horror-Film called Painted Skin, starring Donnie Yen of Once Upon A Time In China and Ip Man fame.

It tackles the question of "What if a monster were to GENUINELY fall in love with a human-being, and yet simultaneously refuse to surrender its dietary habits?" In this case; a Fox-Demon's hunger for fresh beating human hearts to maintain her eternal youth....

The Wuxia style Sword-Play between Fox/Lizard Demons and Taoist Hunters Is RIGHT up the alley of the feats the Exotic can perform, and the tragedy of an amoral-and-sociopathic immortal trying to enforce it's alien view on how tender and mortal love should be played out is ripe inspiration for the anguish of Succubi and Vampires who are unfortunate enough to fall in love with a mortal.

Off to watch Painted Skin 2 in the Taiwanese Theaters Tomorrow!!
RevTurkey
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by RevTurkey »

My cupboard has these DVDs:

From Beyond The Grave
Vault Of Horror
Blood On Satans Claw
Asylum
The Curse Of Frankenstein, Dracula & The Mummy Box Set
Tower of Evil
Blood From The Mummys Tomb
Tales From The Crypt

For good listings and reviews of this type of stuff:

http://www.britishhorrorfilms.co.uk/

I trawled that site and watched loads of great films I never heard of before. Youtube did have lots and lots of good stuff on there if you searched hard. A lot have been taken down now though. I had loads more DVDs but I only have a small cupboard so had to have a clear out.
Playing since about 1980
Karaptis
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Karaptis »

RevTurkey wrote:My cupboard has these DVDs:

From Beyond The Grave
Vault Of Horror
Blood On Satans Claw
Asylum
The Curse Of Frankenstein, Dracula & The Mummy Box Set
Tower of Evil
Blood From The Mummys Tomb
Tales From The Crypt

For good listings and reviews of this type of stuff:

http://www.britishhorrorfilms.co.uk/

I trawled that site and watched loads of great films I never heard of before. Youtube did have lots and lots of good stuff on there if you searched hard. A lot have been taken down now though. I had loads more DVDs but I only have a small cupboard so had to have a clear out.
Yeah Amicus flicks fit in as well even though most are modern day (well 60s and 70s anyways). A good Amicus fick for me is House That Dripped Blood. Having Peter Cushing, Christopher Lee, Ingrid Pitt and Jon Pertwee (that's right the third doctor is in the house... Literally) is choc full of awesome!
Karaptis
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Karaptis »

I also recommend the Val Lewton films mostly with Boris Karloff. Those are great.

Return to “DCC RPG Third Party Publishers”